PDA

View Full Version : Picasa and Sky Drive

ExSp33db1rd
18th Jun 2013, 21:46
I've used Picasa as an editing programme and vehicle to attach compressed photographs to e-mails for a long time, but suddenly, yesterday, instead of attaching two photographs to an e-mail, it told me that my photographs would be available on Sky Drive until some future date, and asked me to fill in the name of my "Album".

I was only sending two pictures from a folder in my Picasa "library", not an "Album" so where did this Sky Drive crap come from?

My son subsequently told me that he couldn't open the pictures that were indeed attached to the e-mail.

WTF is going on ?

WHY CAN'T THEY LEAVE STUFF ALONE !!

What do I do to return to the Picasa programme that I have learned to love - and can cope with ?

mixture
19th Jun 2013, 07:07
I was only sending two pictures from a folder in my Picasa "library", not an "Album" so where did this Sky Drive crap come from?

Erm, Picasa is a Google initiative and Sky Drive is a Microsoft initiative.

Google would not be using a Microsoft cloud project, so any integration and enabling of Sky Drive would have been done by your good self.

Agent86
19th Jun 2013, 09:38
What Mail client are you using? If it's that orrible Windows Live Mail then that will be your problem.
From their download page
Send lots of photos
Send high-resolution photos to family and friends with Windows Live Mail. They can then easily find, view, and download your photos. Since the photos are stored on SkyDrive, nobody's inbox gets overloaded.
I found it almost impossible to send attached pictures using this system (Parents don't have Outlook and I spent a while stuffing around with their settings to make it work)

ExSp33db1rd
20th Jun 2013, 00:25
Google would not be using a Microsoft cloud project, so any integration and enabling of Sky Drive would have been done by your good self.

How ? Never heard of SkyDrive until it popped up.

Agent86 - more like it, sadly WindowsLiveMail it is, not my choice, came up with the Windows7 Starter loaded on the Asus EeePc.

Any clues as to how I can re-configure to abandon SkyDrive - or is there another photo-programme that sends like Picasa ? Photo-bucket maybe ?

Microsoft are slowly driving me to Apple, and if I'm forced to go Windows h'eight, then I definitely will.

Thanks.

Agent86
20th Jun 2013, 03:13
A quick Google for free email clients brings up eM Client (http://www.emclient.com/) as the client of choice. I haven't used it but may consider it when I next visit the folks computer for some care and maintenance.

you can insert SINGLE pics in LiveMail using the insert file option but any more than 1 and off to Sky drive it goes ...even with the "photo email" option unticked

green granite
20th Jun 2013, 06:58
From Microsoft:

To uninstall the SkyDrive

If you uninstall the SkyDrive desktop app from your PC, your SkyDrive folder will stop syncing. The SkyDrive folder and your files on SkyDrive.com won't be deleted.

In Windows 8, follow these steps:

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the top-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, then click Search.)

Enter SkyDrive , and then tap or click Apps.

In the search results, swipe down on the SkyDrive icon that has a folder, and then tap Uninstall. (If you're using a mouse, right-click the SkyDrive icon that has a folder, and then click Uninstall.)

In Windows 7 or Windows Vista, follow these steps:

Click the Start button Start button. In the search box, type Programs, and then, in the list of results, click Programs and Features.

Click Microsoft SkyDrive , and then click Uninstall. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

ExSp33db1rd
20th Jun 2013, 23:13
Agent86 - Yes, but then they go as full 1.5Mb ( approx ) files instead of the compressed 30Kb that Picasa sends, i.e. I can send a dozen or so pictures via Picasa attached to one e-mail, whereas my ISP has a fit if I try to send more than 2 x 1.5Mb and 'times' me out, takes ages to accomplish via many e-mails. ( unless someone knows better ! ?? )

Green Granite - thanks, will try it.

Bushfiva
21st Jun 2013, 01:36
From Windows Explorer, can you not simply right-click on the image(s), select "Send to". "Mail recipient", and pick the image size you want from the "Attach Files" window that pops up? After that, it should open a blank email with the files already attached.

ExSp33db1rd
22nd Jun 2013, 23:53
Bushfiva - dunno, never tried, awy from home at the moment, will investigate, Thanks.