PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building

pilot in command
18th Jun 2013, 17:06
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on hour building:

I have been looking at different flying clubs to do my hour building and would appreciate some advice. I will be taking a week off work in August and looking to do 25 hours.

I have so far whittled my choice down to 2 schools, namely, Leeds Multi Flight and Group One Air in Malaga. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Leeds are offering 25 hours for £2600 inclusive of taxes, landing fees etc and Malaga are offering 25 hours at £3500 (£500 more on top for hotels and travel) making a total of £4000 for 25 hours.

It seems clear cut by price which school to do with however from what I've heard the weather at Leeds is never very good with low cloud and crosswinds. The plus point with Leeds is that you pay flight time plus 10 minutes where as with the school in Malaga you pay by what the Hobbs meter says, thus if you are sitting on the taxiway for ages you are having to pay for this time.

The advantage with Malaga is obviously the weather. If you book 25 hours, you are practically guaranteed to fly that amount where as with Leeds, there may only be 4 days out of 7 which are flyable. Also, with Malaga, you get the chance of travelling all over Spain in the DA40 Glass cockpit aircraft and a safety pilot is with you. Leeds are offering the C152.

Any advice? I'd really like to make a decision today.

Thanks

sapperkenno
18th Jun 2013, 17:36
My advice would be to rent a C150 from the outfit I work at based at Breighton, but then I would say that!

Seriously though, there are plenty more places than the two you've come up with, or even possibilities of buying into a group for a few months.

At somewhere like Breighton, there might also be options to offer some of the old boys some fuel money, and do a load of hours with them in some interesting types - and log P1.

Will multiflight let you take their aircraft away overnight, or to unlicensed airfields, or let you land on grass..?

shortstripper
18th Jun 2013, 18:00
I would echo Sapperkenno!

Why limit yourself to these two choices? If you're prepared to go and stay in Malaga then you obviously are happy to travel and fly outside your immediate area. If you're hour building you could look at expanding your horizons ... look at doing a TMG rating perhaps? 30 hours (or is it 70?)
can count toward a commercial licence and at around £60-£80 an hour you could clock the hours cheaper and learn new skills. Or buy a share in a cheap single seater and do 50 hours for the same price.

Don't rush into it, give yourself a couple of days to think out the options ... You'll get plenty more suggestions here I'm sure.

SS

pilot in command
18th Jun 2013, 18:08
Thanks for your suggestions, I have been looking at different options for about a month now and these were the two which stood out for me. If anyone has other suggestions, please post.

Pom pom
18th Jun 2013, 19:18
There's a chap down at Bournemouth who has aircraft to rent that you can take away touring. A trip round France could be done in that number of hours and would give you some great learning experiences as well as a fun holiday. Flywithmeaviation is his trading name. I've rented off him a few times and have been very happy.:ok: