PDA

View Full Version : Nick Xenophon

Keg
18th Jun 2013, 13:22
Wasn't sure if this was best here or in the Questions, etc but given Nick's efforts on behalf of aviation, I figured this was as good a place as any.

Nick's efforts in aviation are relatively well known by most aviation people. His input was critical in getting the Senate Inquiry into aviation safety. It's been a long time since aviation has had a champion such as him.

Anyway, Nick's Senate position is up for re-election next time we go to the polls- I think it officially expires in July next year.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to plug his web site. www.nickforsa.com.au

So you don't have to agree with all his policies but if you can help out at all, consider helping out one of the genuine good guys in aviation.

A couple of other bits of info that people may be interested in. He didn't accept his invitation into the Qantas Chairman's Club. Every time I've flown him or heard of him travelling he's never in business class. I asked him about it when he disembarked off one flight and he said he believes in saving taxpayers money and therefore happy to be down the back.

RATpin
18th Jun 2013, 13:38
Thanks for the info Keg,
Cheers

wheels_down
18th Jun 2013, 14:05
He funds his travel out of his own pocket, he is a frequent Tiger/AirAsia user.

KRUSTY 34
18th Jun 2013, 21:33
Nick for PM.

We can but dream?

ALAEA Fed Sec
19th Jun 2013, 01:56
I've spoken to Nick a bit about the election. Above anything else he would love any of us aviation people to help him for a couple of hours on election day.

You just go to a poll booth and hand out how to vote for Nick forms.

He needs people all across SA.

On Track
19th Jun 2013, 03:20
Nick Xenophon is one of the few people in the Australian parliament whom I respect.

004wercras
19th Jun 2013, 07:36
On track, agreed. Very few Pollies are not so much as worth a pinch of pony pooh. Sen X has proven to be a good man. A number of his fellow Senators have also earned a mark of respect in my book. Doug Cameron, although not part of the inquiry, is another good man who is a straight shooter who is passionate about the working class. Maybe he would like to throw his hand at 'all things aviation'? These are the type of Pollies worth supporting as they may just be the ones to champion aviations cause. The parlous state of the regulatory investigative bodies, poor airport infrastructure and planning combined with what one has to question as the sacrifice of GA one stone at a time is good enough reason for a measure of change.

Steve, does Sen X have an election campaign fund which can be contributed to by individuals? I don't know if here is the appropriate place for details, perhaps you can just post a link for interested people to go to?

In the meantime I reckon any support that can be given to this hard working Senator is a good thing :ok:
C'mon Nick, keep the bastards honest!

tail wheel
19th Jun 2013, 08:10
Steve, does Sen X have an election campaign fund which can be contributed to by individuals? I don't know if here is the appropriate place for details, perhaps you can just post a link for interested people to go to?

Nope, sorry Keg. Not going there. No links to any political donations.

Sorry, but PPRuNe is not to be used for any purpose in relation to political donations

DirectAnywhere
19th Jun 2013, 08:23
I'd almost consider moving to Adelaide just so I could vote for the man.

I did say "almost". :}

Keg
19th Jun 2013, 12:56
No worries Tail Wheel.

For everyone else, Nick is up for re-election. If you'd like the link to his website, send me a PM.

Alternatively you can try a Google search of Nick for SA. It's about the fourth link down at the moment.

tail wheel
19th Jun 2013, 22:05
No problems Keg. I'm sympathetic to Senator X's contribution to keeping the b#stards honest and comment on his achievements in that respect are not unreasonable, but we can't have political promotion on PPRuNe.

Most of us vote for the 50%; for some reason a few must vote for the 30%; some for the tree huggers and some for the lunatic fringe, however PPRuNe respects it's user's right of free choice.

If we allowed open slather, next we'd have the Hon Member for Grayndler posting here, telling us what a magnificent job he's done as Minister for Transport! :mad:

TIMA9X
19th Jun 2013, 23:38
we'd have the Hon Member for Grayndler posting here, telling us what a magnificent job he's done as Minister for Transport!Of course he would never get past the "I'm new here" moderation probation period ;) :ok:

That feels better.. welcome to our world Albo..... :)

Ixixly
20th Jun 2013, 00:03
Senator X you giant tease, you keep showing us this glowing model of what a politician should be and yet you won't run for PM?! What's up with that?!

Capt Chambo
20th Jun 2013, 00:35
:ok: One more for Nick X

004wercras
20th Jun 2013, 01:47
Keg, PM sent mate....
I am surprised that there are no 'Save Joolia' or 'Save Anthony' web links yet? Not that it would do much good!

Regards,

Chairman of blue ties.

illusion
20th Jun 2013, 02:29
If everyone in aviation has the ethics of Nick they will chip him a few $$$ for the campaign. A small thank you for the senate inquiry.

Thanks Nick, and if any left over have a beer on me :ok:

V-Jet
20th Jun 2013, 03:30
Indeed illusion. It seemed a lot less hassle to do that than move to ADL to support him.

I believe everyone in the Aviation industry owes this man (and his family) a debt. If his one voice was not speaking for us, then there would really be no-one.

This thread should be read by everyone - Tech/Cabin Crew, Engineers, Ground Staff etc etc. If everyone could give a little, I am sure it would help a lot.

Funny thing is, its not just Aviation he helps. He is not just a guy with a bee in his bonnet about Aviation. I'm sure he's not perfect, but he is a stand out politician and a seemingly thorough gentleman!!

004wercras
20th Jun 2013, 07:00
V-Jet, this is a good thread mate, but you should remove the links otherwise the thread will get locked, taily has issued a warning!
But otherwise yes, Nick is doing his bit for aviation, understands industry and pilot issues, and has a good grasp on risk and root cause. A decent man to support!

Fonz121
20th Jun 2013, 08:28
Speaking of SA senators, the rest of the country would be grateful if South Australians got rid of that moron Corey Bernardi at the same time.

Keg
20th Jun 2013, 08:30
Given the choice between booting Corey and booting Sarah Hanson-Young I'd be choosing the Greenie every day of the week.

Flying Binghi
20th Jun 2013, 11:19
via Fonz121:
Speaking of SA senators, the rest of the country would be grateful if South Australians got rid of that moron Corey Bernardi at the same time.

Oh, He helped get Labors secret weapon Turnbull knocked on the head so caint be all bad..:hmm:

Fonz121, how about we just leave the thread to N.X. related maters..:)

Cactusjack
20th Jun 2013, 23:30
A chill wind blew down from the Brindabellum Mountains and over Capittaline Hill as footsteps echoed across the Forum in the pale light of the long-awaited dawn. Wrapping her cloak tightly around her, Julia Caesar shivered. How had it all gone so horribly wrong?

She gazed up at the statue of her illustrious predecessor, Bennelongus Imperium. Relaxum and Comfortabilis was his motto. How ordinary these words now looked, etched in stone and covered in bird poop. Yet, she now realised, they possibly represented the greatest triumph any leader could achieve?

Passing the vomitorium, she could hear squeals of delight and faint laughter intermingled with sounds of dry-retching and puking. No doubt, she thought to herself, Slipperius was down there in his black toga regurgitating his cab charges.

Where on earth, she wondered, did he go on all those long journeys? And what debauchery went on in the back of those chariots that had so depleted the imperial coffers?

Swiftly walking past the Unionatis Hospitalis, she shuddered at the thought of her favoured son, the handsome Dobellius, taking tithes off the lowly slaves who toiled to clean soiled bed-sheets while he cavorted in the Via Bordello.

She turned abruptly, certain she could hear someone following her. Treachery and subterfuge swirled around her, clothed in darkness. Her enemies were everywhere, plotting, waiting for the right moment to strike. But she knew she could defeat them all, she was certain of that. " They may have knives", she thought to herself, "but they are as nothing compared to my formidable political skills, my acute sense of timing, my renowned judgment, my phenomenal ability to communicate with the masses and my mesmerising vocal skills." Her enemies didn't stand a chance!

But still, that nagging feeling kept creeping back: where on earth was Kevino Septimus?

One by one she mentally ticked off her foes. There was Minimus Shortus, the diminutive former slavemaster who had recently taken to mocking her in the Forum. "Whatever the Empress says, I support" he had proclaimed to roars of laughter from the crowds, "even though I have no idea what it is she said."

More cunning was Praaetor Smith, with his cash-starved armies outside the city walls in the Fields of Duntroon. For 18 months he had patiently waited for the moment to strike, like an adder in the grass.

And what of Senator Carcero, the great orator with the booming voice, who as tribune of Nova South Walesium had razed it to the ground with his Punic land tax while entertaining the proletariat with extravagant Games in his specially built colosseum?

How smart had it been to let him back into the Senate? Had his ambitions been sated? Still on travels to distant lands, imposing Roman law on the Fijians, she was relieved she had sent him far away.

She turned to look at the foundation stones of the Basilica Julia, where her statue was being built, a magnificent testimony to her legacy, emblazed with her own epithet: Nos sunt nobis: we are us. It would be the largest statue in Rome. After all, wasn't her most towering achievement, the introduction of the Carbonara Tax, a 23 dinar levy on all pasta production, a triumphant political victory that future generations would honour her for?

Most dangerous of all, she knew, were those closest to her. Such as Quastor Waynium Swannus, the man she trusted more than any other with the regulation of marketplaces. His day of glory was fast approaching, when he would trick the plebeians by showering them with surplus bread and treasure. She felt an icy chill run down her spine. Somehow, she couldn't help thinking, whenever a leader was overthrown it was he who was always left standing.

Or Gregorius Combatus? A soldier of fortune who'd made his name all those years ago, fighting injustice among the patrician galley-owners. He was now chief priest of the goddess Gaia, a powerful position from whence he could scrutinise the entrails. What had they really told him about her future? Even old Creaanus, could she really trust him?

She stopped to listen, certain someone was close by. She froze as she heard the serpentine hiss of steel being drawn from leather. "Julia!" a voice whispered behind her. She spun around and couldn't believe her eye. "You?" she said. "What on earth are you...? But already it was too late.

Obituarium..........

Moses said to the children of Israel ...

"Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land."

Whitlam said to the people of Australia,

Put down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land."

Today, Gillard has,

Stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, put camels in plain packaging, and mortgaged the Promised Land!

(Rowan Dean, who wrote this brilliant piece, is an Australian Financial Review columnist.)

Animalclub
21st Jun 2013, 00:57
Brilliant!!

Kharon
21st Jun 2013, 05:15
To Sen Xenophon; A big, heartfelt thankyou from me, just for the Pel Air report alone, not to mention the tireless efforts made and a remarkable ability to keep a politically disparate committee functioning through a complex inquiry, in today's atmosphere. Terrific, Brava and bloody well done!!.

D. Fawcett made an excellent, preparatory – speech (http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/468048-senate-inquiry-hearing-program-4th-nov-2011-a-107.html#post7902494)- yesterday evening calling for debate on the Senate report, which was approved. These guys and girls are a big blast of fresh air, particularly in the foetid, tawdry atmosphere of today's poor efforts; at least Albo managed to get to school on time and avoid annoying little questions on elephants in the room.

Kudos, respect, gratitude and best of all, unlimited access to the BRB Tim Tam box.

C. Jack, what can I say?; except nice catch, nice.....Good on the erudite Mr. Dean and the AFR....:D..http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

illusion
27th Jun 2013, 00:48
Back to the top:ok:

COM Cleaner
2nd Jul 2013, 15:47
All of you pilots in SA need to help Nick as much as you can in the upcoming elections - nobody has done as much for aviation over the last 5-6 years as Nick has. We need David Fawcett as well, but he can be muzzled by his own party, so let's make sure Nick gets back in. :ok:

TIMA9X
15th Jul 2013, 10:27
nobody has done as much for aviation over the last 5-6 years as Nick has
No doubt about it, another example of his work here. Puts the rest of them to shame.

tf9zoGf6na0

Kharon
15th Jul 2013, 20:37
CASA the saviour of our airspace.....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gif

ASA cannot manage our airspace....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gif

Pots, kettles and the colour black spring to mind; as do foxes in chook sheds and shed loads of wasted money. The shades mendacity, hypocrisy, and a sudden urge to vomit (copiously) prevent further comment.

NX is proving to be good man, slowly tightening the noose on a dangerous, ugly beast. Good on him seems barely adequate, but well done anyway. Brava....:D

TIMA9X thanks for the clip, nice catch...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

004wercras
15th Jul 2013, 20:50
Excellent work Tim, bravo.
Senator Xenophon is displaying a quality that CAsA, ASA, ATSBeaker and most other politicians don't have - he cares about aviation safety!
Nothing really complicated in that, nothing new to those of us who work in the industry, and the concept of caring is something not to difficult really. Yep, he is simply concerned about the unsafe abhorrent conditions that exist within our aviation industry, and the root cause of these issues - the inept dross in charge of the entire train set!

Good work Nick, don't stop now :ok:. I know this may sound crass but I am posting you a tub of testicle salve because one can assume that yours are becoming chafed from continuously placing them out there on the front line :E
Keep up the fine fight. You are developing a robust team of players including Entsch, Fawcett, the delectable Nash and others who are moderately influential within the media and the aviation industry.

Blockla
16th Jul 2013, 06:01
Civil Air Submission to the Green/White paper 27 June 2008.

The lack of adequate staff is a business continuity risk that is starting to have an impact on Airservices Australia’s operations, resulting in controlled airspace service degradation or closures in both the major centres and regional approach and tower services. We have seen an over reliance on overtime and multiple airspace closures in recent months, all directly related to the lack of available qualified staff.

The provision of adequate staff (in both number and qualification), is a management responsibility. Breaks in service caused by low staff levels are also a management responsibility and not the fault of already overworked controllers who do not attend work on a day they are rostered off duty to prop up an under resourced and failing system. Just saying!

CaptainInsaneO
16th Jul 2013, 22:02
I don't get to see a lot from Nick X over on the East Coast, but when I hear him say something, it's refreshing. Finally - a politician that doesn't dribble BS! :D

I wish I could vote him in as PM, maybe Labor should adopt him as leader to secure a win at the next election.

All you citizens in South Australia need to keep voting Nick X in. But Nick, if you read these posts, if the Southern Aussies aren't giving you their votes, move over to sunny QLD mate - we'll give you ours! :ok:

Mister Squiggle
16th Jul 2013, 23:37
Anyone know what Nick X's position is regarding the disallowance motion on the amendments of CAO 48?

mostlytossas
17th Jul 2013, 03:23
My gut feeling is being a South Aussie,is that Nick will be returned by a country mile.:ok:

Keg
5th Aug 2013, 05:54
Now that the election has been called I'm just brining this back to the top.

Cargo744
6th Aug 2013, 02:01
Put your faith in a politician ad you are as big of a fool as him

amos2
6th Aug 2013, 08:05
I think you meant to say, 744, that if you put your faith in a politician you are as big a fool as him! :=

But, I've gotta say, I agree with you! ;)

I have a lot of time and respect for Keg, spanning the last ten years or so on PPrune, but he loses me once he starts getting into politics!

You don't need to do this, Keg, you're better and smarter than that!...:):)

Keg
6th Aug 2013, 09:23
I've dealt with a bunch of pollies over the years and Senator X is one of the few guys who doesn't try and snowball you when you talk to him face to face. He's not arrogant.

He genuinely believes in the future of this country rather than his own future power base. Any pollie that eschews the Chairman's lounge and chooses to fly economy between SYD and ADL when no other pollie would think about anything less than the lounge and J class is a decent bloke in my book and worthy of my support. :ok:

6th Aug 2013, 10:56
:ok::ok: Keg I agree totally!
All aviation folk should be throwing their total support behind this man - the man who keeps raising those awkward questions of those who believe they are untouchable!
Many thanks Nick and please keep on keeping on!

LAME2
7th Aug 2013, 08:28
On I trudge delivering election flyer's. If your at my polling booth on the day, I'll be there handing out the "how to vote cards".

My way of saying thank you.

busdriver007
7th Aug 2013, 10:40
LAME2...I will see you there even though I live in NSW. This man needs our thanks and our support!

Capt Casper
8th Aug 2013, 07:59
Email extract:

"Thank you for your email to Nick. He is currently out of the office and has asked me to respond on his behalf.

As you can imagine, it is always a great encouragement for Nick to receive emails from such supportive people as yourself and be assured he will continue to support Australia’s aviation industry.

You can sign up to volunteer for Nick’s campaign at: https://nickforsa.com.au/volunteer/

Thanks for taking the time to write to Nick and please accept his best wishes.

Kind regards

Anna Gordon | Correspondence Officer | Office of Nick Xenophon, Independent Senator for South Australia
Level 2/31 Ebenezer Place, Adelaide | TEL: 08 8232 1144 | F: 08 8232 3744 | Senator Nick Xenophon | Nick Xenophon - Independent Senator for South Australia (http://www.nickxenophon.com.au)

Would you like to help Nick fight for SA? Go to www.nickforsa.com.au "

404 Titan
22nd Aug 2013, 08:05
I'm not a SA voter but I have to congratulate Nick for not giving those feral Greens preferences in the Senate. Well done.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Blip
23rd Aug 2013, 07:19
I'm sorry but I can't let a derogatory statement like that go without reply.

I have no doubt that this world would be a much much better place if there were more "feral Greenies" a less mainstream bogans!

I bet you don't even know their policies.

Jack Ranga
23rd Aug 2013, 08:08
Watch them get their arses whooped in a couple of weeks time to see how relevant their 'policies' are

Pinky the pilot
23rd Aug 2013, 08:15
Doyou know any of the Greens policies blip?

Care to list a few? Just asking.

Blip
23rd Aug 2013, 09:47
I don't want to take this thread off topic.

Have a look for yourself.

Policy Highlights and Policy Detail | Australian Greens (http://greens.org.au/initiatives-and-policies)

I may not agree with all their policies but I would consider them on the whole to be reasonable and considered and ironically "Conservative".

I mean no one votes for a party (or independent) and agrees with all their policies, except Nick of course! :ok:

404 Titan
23rd Aug 2013, 11:01
Blip

"Conservative"

I nearly spilt coffee all over my key board laughing my a**e off with that insane comment. I know in detail most of their policies and "conservative" would be the last thing I would call them. Most are so far left that they make the Labor Party Victoria left wing look conservative. The Greens aren't known as Watermelons for nothing. Green on the outside but red on the inside.

BrissySparkyCoit
23rd Aug 2013, 11:54
I am yet to meet someone who has said to me "I'm voting greens" that can tell me their policies. They just blindly vote.

Yes We Canberra! | Greens Voters | Wednesday 9.30pm ABC1 - YouTube

Sums up their supporters really.

If Xenophon were running in my seat, I'd be voting for him.

Blip
23rd Aug 2013, 23:01
Conserve
Conservation
Conservative
There's the irony.

Here's one example where mainstream politically "conservative" is in my mind radical and ridiculous (worthy of ridicule).

Perpetual economic growth, population growth, whatever growth you want to consider at a rate of 3 percent. You hear that number all the time as being a "conservative" target.

Compound 3 percent for 100 years you get a multiple of 19 times the original figure. 200 years you get a multiple of 369!

Australia's population of 20 million and increasing World population of 6 billion and increasing An economic model that requires perpetual growth to be healthy. And it's considered radical to question these "conservative" political and economic axioms.

Ok back to the main topic please.

LeadSled
24th Aug 2013, 02:47
Blip,
It's a (not really) free world, everyone is entitled to their opinion, just like every village is entitled to have a village idiot.
In NSW in particular, the Greens truly deserve the name the "Watermelon Party", green on the outside, red on the inside.
I have known one the NSW Greens senators since university days, one of their current candidates almost as long.
Both are so far to the left they are in danger of falling off the edge of their own flat earth. Even the old Communist Party of Australia was finally too far right to accommodate them.
Australian voting Greens makes as much sense as turkeys voting for Christmas.
Tootle pip!!

Arnold E
25th Aug 2013, 07:42
It is interesting that most of the people on this forum seem to think that being left of centre is a bad thing. I must admit that I am puzzled by this. One could hardly call China a conservative right of centre country, but it would be hard to deny that the "Lefties" in China seem to have done at least some things that are "right".
Now I dont know, but wouldn't it be fair to say that the "Lefties" in China have SOME idea what they are doing, or do you think we would be MUCH better off following the right wing conservatives of America and England into oblivion, er I mean a better way??:ugh::ugh:

Last time that I looked at any satistics, there were more billionares in China than the USA. God damm Lefties...:cool:

mcgrath50
25th Aug 2013, 08:44
It depends if we are talking economic left or social left. Communist countries are usually "economically left" but "socially right" in the traditional sense.

Either way I wouldn't exactly be holding China up as the sort of Australia I want to live in due to the lack of human rights and opportunities as well as big brother style government. It's very different to the left the Labor or Greens want to see in Australia (despite what some people from the right seem to believe).

tecman
25th Aug 2013, 11:29
If we keep digging Australia up and shipping it out as quickly and cheaply as possible, and if the Chinese keep buying up Australian agri-business and other enterprises, you'll find far more reliance on the Chinese government than you may want. If you look at where the short-term profiteering comes, it's invariably from the conservative side of Australian politics (both ALP and Coalition). Like Blip, I'd acknowledge that the Greens and other non-mainstream groupings have their share of nutters, as well as some admirable individuals such as Senator X. But the mainstream has its share of nutters, too. You don't have to look beyond Cory Bernardi - already mentioned in dispatches in this thread - to see that loonies lurk everywhere.

With the luxury of a postal vote this time around, I'll be going through a far more thorough process than usual. I'm not much interested in major groupings or their preferences, but will preference the worthy individuals. If I lived in SA, Senator X would be near the top, with his support for aviation, sane economics and natural justice high on my list of positive attributes. Realistically, it's thin pickings in my part of the world but, with a more leisurely voting pace this time around, my mission is to avoid the worst of the ballot sheet.

Kharon
3rd Sep 2013, 20:19
Only 3 more sleeps. Shouldn't need it, but best of luck anyway....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

004wercras
4th Sep 2013, 01:37
It might be an 'Exciting' couple of days and a more exciting Saturday? Aviation salvation is near?

Judas Priest - Exciter - YouTube

Repent CAsA, repent!

Jethro Gibbs
4th Sep 2013, 06:37
All Rubbish he has just been on 3AW and now he wants to censor internet services the mans all over the shop let alone fixing aviation as well.

telster
4th Sep 2013, 07:54
Not aviation related at all, but currently in correspondence with Nick about a personal matter.

We've contacted several politicians, and of the federal ones, Nick's office have been by far the most helpful. Several of our friends have also written to him in our support, everyone has had a phone call back from his office, and he's taken our matter up with the appropriate minister.

This is in stark contrast to almost all of the other federal politicians, who at best have sent a impersonal email merely thanking us for making contact, or in the majority of cases have made no reply at all.

Not making any comments about any of his policies (don't particularly follow politics so don't really know what he stands for) but he comes across as a decent bloke, and in terms of representing one of his constituents who needs his help we couldn't have asked him to do more for us. We wish him well on Saturday.

Fonz121
4th Sep 2013, 08:03
I am yet to meet someone who has said to me "I'm voting greens" that can tell me their policies. They just blindly vote.

Well it's your lucky day because here I am!

You're probably thinking "what the fudge!?!? :eek: A progressive voting pilot?" but stranger things can happen. The dim-witted Tony Abbott becoming the next PM for example. :{

Back to Nick though. Another tick of approval from me after seeing this...

"In February, independent senator Nick Xenophon proposed a law to prevent TV stations rejecting political advertisements they don't like."

:D about time.

Read more: Seven, Ten, Nine | Ban on GetUp's Anti-Murdoch Ad (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/antimurdoch-ad-banned-from-television-20130903-2t37c.html#ixzz2duOlXwiq)

thorn bird
4th Sep 2013, 08:59
My old Dad used to say "Deeds speak louder than words"
I cant help feeling that Politicians are just "glove puppets" or "talking heads" for the public service mandarins who actually run the country. Perhaps if we could vote for them, the aviation industry wouldnt be being destroyed by a bunch of corrupt Beauracrats as it is today.
I can only speak from my experience.
What I do know is that senator Nick listened to my problems with incompetent Beauracrats and went out of his way to help resolve my issues, he didnt have to, I am far removed from being able to vote for him, but he sorted things when my local representatives could only provide excuses and platitudes, basically condoning incompetence and corruption.
I've always felt uncomfortable having to vote for people I believe are dishonest, but I'd have no reservations voting for Nick.

Flying Binghi
4th Sep 2013, 10:04
...Well it's your lucky day because here I am! ...

Hmmm..:hmm:

Some things we will be seeing pushed by the greens...

"...German daily Die Welt writes that one of the leaders of Germany’s influential Green Party is now calling for a ban of car driving in Germany on weekends...

...There are some things they want to legalize: incest for example...

...Wonderful. Now Germans can stop driving on weekends, stay home and keep intimate company with family members. Now you know just how wacky German greens can be...."

Germany?s Green Party Wants To Ban Car-Driving On Weekends, And Legalize Incest! (http://notrickszone.com/2013/09/03/germanys-green-party-wants-to-ban-car-driving-on-weekends-and-legalize-incest/)

Fonz121
4th Sep 2013, 11:37
I'm not even going to bother pointing out the flaw in comparing two unaffiliated political parties.

tecman
4th Sep 2013, 12:46
Indeed. And (hmmm) predictably, the link turns out to be yet another loopy, multi-conspiracy theory web site.

LeadSled
4th Sep 2013, 14:41
The dim-witted Tony Abbott becoming the next PM for example

Fonz121,
Rhodes Scholar, Cambridge graduate, double degrees and a long record of very positive achievements ---- only a dimwit would say that somebody like that is a dimwit.

I am somebody who has actually read the Greens policies, and, as I said before, they are so far to the left they are in danger of falling over the edge of their own flat earth.

They press for high speed rail, even though we know its got no hope, economically, of competing with airlines --- and even the relative energy consumptions of high speed rail v. modern aircraft are all that much in favour of high speed rail ---- and the rest of the cost of the service is scary.

I am not aware of any high speed rail, anywhere in the world that is not heavily taxpayer subsidized, there is a message there somewhere.

Tootle pip!!

Flying Binghi
5th Sep 2013, 00:09
via Fonz121:
I'm not even going to bother pointing out the flaw in comparing two unaffiliated political parties.

"the visit to Australia by the German activist Petra Kelly in 1977 was influential in the foundation of the German Greens..."

Quadrant Online - The Greens' Agenda, in Their Own Words (http://www.quadrant.org.au/magazine/issue/2011/1/the-greens-agenda-in-their-own-words#_edn3)

"The Global Greens Charter was adopted by consensus at the first Global Greens Congress in Canberra, Australia in 2001. The core of the document sets out the principles that bind together Greens from around the world..."

Global Greens Charter | Global Greens (http://www.globalgreens.org/globalcharter)

"The draft Charter was prepared by Louise Crossley (Australian Greens)... " Global Greens Charter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Greens_Charter)

shadowoneau
8th Sep 2013, 00:57
It looks like the good senator has been returned: Senate Results: South Australia - Australia Votes | Federal Election 2013 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2013/results/senate/sa/)

:)

Wally Mk2
8th Sep 2013, 01:11
That's good news, lets hope this guy can get thru to the numb skulls that run our aviation business!:ugh:

Wmk2

T28D
8th Sep 2013, 03:04
We really need to support Nick with factual and verifiable data re: our "friends" the regulator.

Lets believe Truss will listen and the winds of change will blow through Northborne Avenue and the corrupt Brisbane crowd.

Maybe the DAS will jump before he is pushed !!!! and take the deputy with him.

004wercras
8th Sep 2013, 11:08
The results are to close to call in SA. Could be another week or so until we find out whether Nick or the Godfather has won, so at least we can see by the closeness that the massive level of support for our favourite Independent is amazing.

T28D, agreed! There is no time like tomorrow. I see no reason why Truss needs to wait until the end of the DAS's reign of terror expires in March. Give him a Friday afternoon 1659 DCM as soon as possible. Give one to the Deputy and Associate DAS also, plus the three ATSBeaker Commissioners, and give Mrdork a few months to handover his sloppy departments to an incumbent and then send him off to the world of Consulting also :ok:

As for factual information to be provided to Nick, that is a robust reminder, good work :ok: I can assure you that Nick and his office do pay attention to documentation they receive, and you will get a reply and recognition for your efforts. Remember, just because he hasn't delivered a crippling blow that doesn't mean that he is ignoring the aviation issues. It is a cumbersome, time consuming process getting ones ducks in a row. Do not hesitate and do not give up corresponding with him. Just because the senate inquiry has ended it doesn't mean Nick is asleep at the wheel, nor will he ignore new submissions of evidence.
Remember the old iceberg analogy. You only see the tip of the behemoth, not what is under the water. People like Nick are in a position to see the entire iceberg :ok:
TICK TOCK

busdriver007
8th Sep 2013, 12:26
Good News:D
Independent Senator Nick Xenophon overwhelmed by record voter support | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/national-news/independent-senator-nick-xenophon-overwhelmed-by-record-voter-support/story-fncynjr2-1226714814451)

Marauder
8th Sep 2013, 17:17
Actually 004wercras what is too close to call is not Nick himself, he has won by the proverbial, but his running mate is giving the Godfather a good shake, and it is that battle which is too close to call

:D

Sarcs
24th Sep 2013, 03:01
Top stuff Nick!!:ok: And a slap in the face for Labor when an independent captures a bigger % of the primary vote:
Article featuring Nick by Geoff Kitney (http://www.nickxenophon.com.au/nicks-blog/article-featuring-nick-by-geoff-kitney/)

Sep 10, 2013 | 3 Comments

Labor still not getting the message.

It is the case of the one-man band outplaying the full orchestra. In one of the most remarkable results in Australian political history Independent Senator Nick Xenophon out-polled the Labor Party in the race for senate seats in South Australia. With meagre resources, the senator with the name that nearly always gets spelled incorrectly came within a whisker of getting himself elected, together with a running mate. The once great Labor Party appears certain to get just one of its candidates – Penny Wong –re-elected for the first time since federation. Don Farrell, one of the famous faceless men who played a part in the plot that removed Kevin Rudd and started the rot which ultimately destroyed the Labor government, appears certain to lose his seat. This is the result which shows the depths to which Labor’s political credibility has sunk.

It is the worst individual result in an election which produced Labor’s worst overall result for more than a century. It’s the result which screams to the Labor Party the resounding message of this election – that something has to change. Xenophon is a shining example of what the Labor Party isn’t. He is a common sense, middle-of-the-road, community minded and accessible parliamentary representative. People like him because he seems to listen to them and to make decisions in their interest. He has no axes to grind, no masters to answer to, no party baggage to weigh him down. He is the epitome of what a senator should be. He is the opposite of what many of the party hacks who get to take seats in the Senate – but also increasingly, on the Labor side in the lower house – turn out to be. It is impossible to say whether Farrell’s “faceless man” reputation worked against the Labor vote.

Party of insiders.

But it is absolutely clear that voters across the country are increasingly disillusioned with the modern Labor Party and the people whom it chooses to represent it in parliament. It has become a party of insiders, of apparatchiks and former trade unionists. The internal review conducted after the last election concluded that this was killing the party. Almost nothing has been done about it. Most of the new Labor MPs and senators elected on Saturday – filling positions made vacant by retirements– come from this narrow base. Labor just does not get the message. Within hours of Saturday’s election drubbing, it emerged that a fix is being put in place to hand the most recognisable “faceless man” behind Julia Gillard – right wing unionist Paul Howes – the Senate seat held by foreign minister Bob Carr, also beneficiary of a factional fix. Howes was reportedly “in two minds” about whether to make the move. He should follow the part of his mind that thinks this might not be a good idea. A fix to put Howes in the Senate to replace Carr would be an extraordinary “get stuffed”symbol to voters who thought they had sent the clearest possible signal to Labor that they hate its self-indulgent insider culture. This would especially be so now that it appears that the Labor right has used its muscle to seize the leadership for poor parliamentary performer Bill Shorten, predecessor to Howes as national secretary of the Australian Workers Union. Factional muscle and insider dealing have done terrible damage to public trust in the Labor Party but it still doesn’t seem to care.Could I also suggest that Nick (along with Senator Fawcett) has exposed a long list of due process and accountability issues with the previous Labor government, yet one of the biggest culprits of government obfuscation was the former Minister for DoIT and yet now he is running for leader of the ALP...wonders will never cease!:ugh::ugh:

I'm with Creamy on this..bring on more like minded independent Senators like Nick to keep the bastards honest..hmm or maybe we should just clone him??:E

004wercras
24th Sep 2013, 11:53
Good post Sarcs! So what is the lesson in all of this? Easy, people are sick and tired of political BS, the lies, deception, incompetence and what can almost be called the theft of our taxes to fund politicians obscene need to indulge, immerse and treat themselves to whatever they want whenever they want, and directly out of our pockets. It's as if they think they have some kind of god given right to do this.
That is why Xenophon appears to be different to the rest. He seems to be hard working, transparent, interested in serving the public, approachable and dare I say honest!! Other Pollies or at least wanna be Pollies should take note of him.
The added bonus for us aviation folk is that Nick also gives a sh&t about aviation so that is another one if his endearing qualities :ok:

Lets hope that once the elections, changeovers and bits and pieces settle down Nick and friends will come out blazing again and continue their push for reform, change and improvement. They need to let Mr Truss and The Slugger know early in the peace that just because the Government has changed it doesn't mean the underlying aviation problems have now changed.

Jack Ranga
24th Sep 2013, 12:08
Was on a flight recently, most people had taken their seats when the monumental waste of space Shorten prances on & takes his seat in business class. It was a short domestic flight. I thought of Senator X taking economy.

Shorten, never worked a day in his life, knifed two sitting Prime Ministers in the back. Something to be proud of eh Bill??

TIMA9X
24th Sep 2013, 15:47
It seems over the past three years Nick X did more than anyone else supporting the workers in Oz aviation, I for one thank him for that support.
In contrast, Bill Shorten (ex Union leader) paid a lot of lip service, but it feels like, nothing much for the Oz aviation industry workers' jobs, in the end, using the FWA as a smokescreen, good cover I guess, for a while. A lot has happened since this video
7TpCbLRulKk

As I read it, as time went on, Shorten's words became very hollow, today he is running for the leadership with a trail of PM's behind him, and he's only been a MP for 6 years, Wow..

Shorten prances on & takes his seat in business class. It was a short domestic flight. I thought of Senator X taking economy.

Shorten, never worked a day in his life, knifed two sitting Prime Ministers in the back. Something to be proud of eh Bill?? Says it all really. :sad:

Kelly Slater
24th Sep 2013, 23:56
Personally, I would expect to see Politicians in Business Class but I'd be happy if Senator X was in First Class because he is streets ahead of the rest and yes I know that there is no First Class in domestic.

tempsky
25th Sep 2013, 01:47
The irony is, Bill has a very close aviation connection right in his office. He is well apraised of how this industry works, from the inside.