PDA

View Full Version : "Desktop" shortcuts on Android pointing to LAN locations?

The late XV105
18th Jun 2013, 10:09
Any pointers to an ad-free and "permissions-sensible" Android app - or a technical trick - that allows network shortcuts to be posted on the "Desktop"?

My wife is used to having such shortcuts on her netbook (the destination being the two root folders for Jpegs in our NAS media library) and wishes for the same on her tablet.

As a workaround I have configured the excellent ES File Explorer app to open on the LAN page with the two required folders displayed, but I'd like to have links directly from the "desktop" if I can.

TVM.
TLXV

Capn Bloggs
20th Jun 2013, 14:20
In ES File Exp, long tap the folder you want a shortcut to, then open the Settings menu (bottom right), choose "Add to desktop".

The late XV105
20th Jun 2013, 19:19
Thanks, Capn Bloggs.

Before posting I tried exactly this (and pressing Properties after the long press, properties being what is bottom right, settings being fourth from the left on my version 3.0.4) but neither includes an "add to desktop" option - including under any further sub menus.

I have a free version of the App so will look to see if there is a paid version with extra features including this one.

The late XV105
20th Jun 2013, 19:21
Prompted by your post being clearly founded on knowledge, I did some more digging.

There IS an "add to desktop" - but buried in the "More" menu which is only visible after a long press for a local folder; networked folders don't give this option. :(

Thanks anway!

Edited to add that now I pause to think, I found out several days ago that the desktop shortcut option exists but only works for local folders. A shame, as this would be ideal.

Capn Bloggs
21st Jun 2013, 00:46
networked folders don't give this option.
Bummer. I don't work with networked folders so didn't realise that. Sorry for the bum-steer. :ouch:

The late XV105
21st Jun 2013, 07:52
No worries! Nice that you tried to help, thanks CB. Perhaps something for me to suggest to the Developer. This has long been my favourite file explorer app on Android and it doesn't yet appear to be dormant development-wise.

The late XV105
21st Jun 2013, 09:10
I asked the developer.
It seems that what I would like is on the cards. :)

The late XV105
22nd Jun 2013, 00:03
To change a default setting unrelated to this post I had to clear the app cache. Lo and behold I now get shortcuts for network locations. Happy camper - and I have no idea why the email exchange indicated this feature was to be added in the future!

Cheers for now,
TLXV

Capn Bloggs
22nd Jun 2013, 04:03
Clearing the data/cache fixes a lot of things, as I have found just out. My Es shortcuts were behaving weirdly; sometimes OK, sometimes not, with no apparent pattern of (mis) behaviour. I cleared the data and all is now well, as well... :D