PDA

View Full Version : WW II (British) wreckage found.

jetslut
18th Jun 2013, 10:07
Chaps,
one of the indigenous have found parts of a WW II aircraft in the woods to the rear of my property.
Apparently they do still have an identification plate attached written in English (the finder cannot read or speak English), and from his description, appear to be parts of elevators, rudder or trim tabs. I have the opportunity to inspect these components this evening and will document them.

This find does however concur with local village heresay of a British 4-Engined 'heavy' ditching into the freshwater lake to the front of the property towards the end of the war, possibly due to damage sustained during a raid on Berlin.

Does anyone know whom in UK I should be contacting to register this find?

Many thanks,
J.S.

airborne_artist
18th Jun 2013, 10:17
Your best point of contact would be the Air Attache in the British Embassy in the country where the wreckage was found.

Wander00
18th Jun 2013, 10:54
If you are in France, the Air attaché is a lovely guy and through RAFA Sud Ouest we can probably get a message direct to him

paulmcmillan
18th Jun 2013, 11:41
If you can get the reference numbers of the wreckage should allow the type to be Manufacturer and Type Identified.

ShyTorque
18th Jun 2013, 12:47
Your best point of contact would be the Air Attache in the British Embassy in the country where the wreckage was found.

Sounds like he's in Wales.

Flap62
18th Jun 2013, 12:57
ShyT

one of the indigenous
and
the finder cannot read or speak english

It certainly does

jetslut
19th Jun 2013, 09:01
...so there was I, taking a spot of Tiffin at the agreed time and place. Said native was a 'no-show' ...Bloody peasant! :ugh:

Not France or Wales!

peppermint_jam
19th Jun 2013, 09:11
Be interesting to see pictures if you get the chance old boy.

jetslut
19th Jun 2013, 10:26
I'd like the chance to see the pictures or the actual components themselves :ugh:
All that he told me is that there is a red stripe approx 2" wide painted across the surface.

Will try again this evening to meet the wallah.

Al R
19th Jun 2013, 10:47
...so there was I, taking a spot of Tiffin at the agreed time and place. Said native was a 'no-show' ...Bloody peasant! :ugh:

Not France or Wales!

Definitely Wisbech then..?

Wander00
19th Jun 2013, 11:25
Wisbech would explain not understanding English............................

chevvron
19th Jun 2013, 12:17
So would Liverpool or Newcastle.

Flap62
19th Jun 2013, 12:55
If it's Liverpool I bet they don't find any tyres on the wreckage

Avitor
19th Jun 2013, 13:14
And if it is Wisbech it would have gone for scrap decades ago.