PDA

View Full Version : ICAO looking to change upper age limit for First officers

747-419
18th Jun 2013, 09:53
ICAO AN5/16.1-13/33

1. I have the honour to inform you that the Air Navigation Commission, at the sixth meeting of its 192nd Session on 29 January 2013, considered a proposal, developed by the Secretariat on the basis of a survey conducted in 2012, to amend Annex 1 ・ Personnel Licensing, paragraph 2.1.10 which, if adopted, would:

a) permit two pilots aged 60-64 years and engaged in international commercial air transport to be simultaneously at the controls; and

b) upgrade the upper age limit of 65 years for co-pilots engaged in international commercial air transport from a Recommendation to a Standard.

The Commission authorized the transmission of the proposal to Member States and appropriate international organizations for comments.

2. Background information on the proposal is included for your convenience in Attachment A. The proposed amendments are contained in Attachment B, and the rationale is contained in Attachment C. A response form has been provided in Attachment D.

3. In examining the proposed amendments, you should not feel obliged to comment on editorial aspects as such matters will be addressed by the Air Navigation Commission during its final review of the draft amendment.

4. For your information, the proposed amendment to Annex 1 is envisaged for applicability on 13 November 2014. Any comments you may have thereon would be appreciated.

5. May I request that any comments you wish to make on the amendment proposal be dispatched to reach me not later than 2 July 2013. The Air Navigation Commission has asked me to specially indicate that comments received after the due date may not be considered by the Commission and the Council. In this connection, should you anticipate a delay in the receipt of your reply, please let me know in advance of the due date.

6. The subsequent work of the Air Navigation Commission and the Council would be greatly facilitated by specific statements on the acceptability or otherwise of the proposals. Please note that for the review of your comments by the Air Navigation Commission and the Council, replies are normally classified as "agreement with or without comments", "disagreement with or without comments" or "no indication of position". If in your reply the expressions "no objections" or "no comments" are used, they will be taken to mean "agreement without comment" and "no indication of position", respectively. In order to facilitate proper classification of your response, a form has been included in Attachment D which may be completed and returned together with your comments, if any, on the proposals in Attachment B.

Accept, Sir/Madam, the assurances of my highest consideration. Raymond Benjamin
Secretary General

Angle of Attack
18th Jun 2013, 11:32
So what age are they looking at?

Square Bear
18th Jun 2013, 11:43
A of A

Hoping not to seem flippant, but 747-419 took the time to post, but did you take the time to read prior to posting!

Capt Fathom
18th Jun 2013, 11:54
Didn't know there was an age limit for copilot's?

Angle of Attack
18th Jun 2013, 11:55
Is there any current restriction to under 65's for FO's at the moment? Thats why I was asking seems strange...

Angle of Attack
18th Jun 2013, 12:00
OK after reading it carefully it seems it may be an application to allow older FO's to fly with older Captains, but the paragraphs may be taken out of context. My understanding is that there are no restrictions on co pilots age, unless they are flying with a 60+ captain...

DirectAnywhere
18th Jun 2013, 18:00
If there is no currently no limit on co-pilot age this document seeks to impose a limit of 65.

It also seeks to allow two pilots over 60 but below 65 to be at the controls together. As it currently stands, one of the pilots must be below 60.

747-419
18th Jun 2013, 19:33
Just to clarify. At moment there is no restriction on age to F/Os - only to Captains.

There are a number of F/Os over age 64 currently and if this is passed then they will be unable to fly internationally.