PDA

View Full Version : That 1st day in the 'office'?

GJB
23rd Feb 2001, 16:41
Would any former-wannabes like to share with us what your 1st day, at your 1st flying job was like?

Hot&Heavy
23rd Feb 2001, 20:40
My first flying job was as a flight instructor. I remember on my first day drinking lots of coffee and waiting for it to stop raining.

Not a conspicuous start to my career, but if wearing a uniform counts for anything then that felt pretty good.

A Very Civil Pilot
25th Feb 2001, 21:36
First day as a turbo f/o, started getting behind the a/c at "gear up", and caught up with it all at "taxi to stand 4"

Deep Stall
25th Feb 2001, 22:03
First trip was a flight to EGCC. 'Kin quick too with a flight time of 27 minutes!! Also got to scare the passengers a bit when ATC told us to go-around at about 400' feet due a/c on the runway!!!!

Mooney
25th Feb 2001, 23:21
GJB

I'll tell you AFTER Monday!! ;)

Flypuppy
25th Feb 2001, 23:41
Have fun Mooney. Be sure to give us the full story :)

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

DeltaTango
26th Feb 2001, 02:05
ALL RIGHT MOONEY-THE BEST OF WISHES AND GOODLUCK.
DT

Sink Rate
26th Feb 2001, 03:30
That first day is AMAZING!

You sit there running through the Take off brief "... and I can call STOP for any fire..blah blah".

And then it hits you.

For the first time in months it's a real aeroplane, not just a sweat box on stilts. Suddenly the safety brief becomes very important and it's all a bit..erm...scary!

Heart in mouth, power goes on..."Rotate" (luckily didn't have to call STOP!) and it is truly worth all the effort.

Keep at it guys and gals. It's a great view from up there!

driver1
26th Feb 2001, 03:56
I remember very well my first day on line.
It was the first time i stood and watched an aircraft take off that I was flying!! a great day and a fantastic feeling.

AffirmBrest
26th Feb 2001, 12:43
Just like the Sim but the visuals were better... :)

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

RVR800
26th Feb 2001, 15:01
First lesson as AFI

Exercise 19 : IMC student Basic IF

Though Id been thrown in at the deep end
a bit!

JimNich
26th Feb 2001, 15:26
First lesson as FI(r), (4,i) still on the ground taxiing out of the dispersal;

"So if I push my right foot forward we go right and my left we go left. Any questions?"

"No, that all seems fairly straight forward."

"Good, so when I give you control on the rudder pedals only I'd like you to try some gentle turns left and right, just be mindful of that BA 146 taxiing in."

"okay"

"Right, You Have Control...(slight pause) I HAVE CONTROL....JESUS CHR...........well that was interesting......."tower, G-**** pass our apologies to the 146 please"".

Mooney
4th Mar 2001, 01:10
Well! It was last Monday now! And i've still got the grin on my face! :)

Good Luck! I hope you'll be able to share the same experience soon- it's WELL worth it! :)

=====================
[email protected]

Honest Frank
4th Mar 2001, 02:43
A Very Civil Pilot-
Yep same thoughts as you but I remember (although not that long ago)as we approached the holding point,I turned to the Training Capt and said "Wow,this is great,f*cking exciting!"
And until the cabin door opens and you look down the cabin to see all the pax faces staring back do you realise that you are in a rather large airliner rather than the light twin that you were so used to does it really sink in.

ITS WELL WORTH ALL THE HARD WORK AND FOR SOME OF US - THE EXTRA LONG WAIT>>>>>>>>

Red or green?!
4th Mar 2001, 06:58
Mooney!!

How I envy you (and all you pro's out there)!!!!!

I am still trying to get the VFR-restriction off my medical before I can even think about starting the training, but I get goosebumps when I think of my first time starting the engines (please, PLEASE let there be a first time!!!).

Good luck and lots of fun with all the rest of the day in your (hopefully glorious!) days of your carreer!

Rog?!

Buffy Summers
4th Mar 2001, 09:10
Firstly, its very strange. You are trying real hard to remember to do everything, and keep up. You forget the passengers are down the back. You ask if its OK to press certain buttons or do certain things - you know in the sim that you can because it won't have a catastrophic effect! Then the first time the Captain leaves you up there on your own, you are sitting there thinking "wow! Its just me here and I'm in charge of this bg aeroplane! Cool!"
You always remember it.

sandran
4th Mar 2001, 11:23
Looking forward to it!!!!

DOC.400
4th Mar 2001, 13:17
MOONEY

Is that ALL you've gotta say. C'mon,don't be that cool. Wher d'ya go, how was it, favourite bit, any probs etc.

Regards and Congrats
LM