PDA

View Full Version : Sneeky icon ...

FullOppositeRudder
17th Jun 2013, 07:54
At first I didn't believe it, but it's now happened several times.

'Tis a Windows XP machine used primarily for amateur radio work and doesn't normally get started every day. Gurgle Chrome is installed because I didn't see the fine print in some other installation (think it might have been Avast). Firefox remains as default browser. The Chrome icon is moved to the bottom RH of the desktop with other rarely used things.

However, after a few days, and without invitation or action on my part, the Giggle Chrome icon has moved back to the top LH side of the screen. Shift it back to the naughty corner again (mutters dark thoughts). About a week later it's emigrated again to the TLH corner of the desktop. This seems to be a recurrent if somewhat irregular event; I've seen it often enough to mention it. All other icons seem content where they are and always have been.

One wonders just what else is going on outside of my control or intention ....

Is there something I should know?

mixture
17th Jun 2013, 08:01
Is there something I should know?

Its Microsoft giving you a hint that XP is obsolete and you should not be running it any more. :E

dubbleyew eight
17th Jun 2013, 10:18
Why should XP be obsolete?
it is without doubt the best PC operating system ever built by Microsoft.

the numpties in microsoft have taken it all downhill since XP service pack 2.

I used windows 8 for about a week and could stand it no more.
Linux Mint isn't quite XP but it will do me until microsoft show some sense.

BOAC
17th Jun 2013, 10:24
"Is there something I should know?" - if you are not using Chrome, uninstall?

What are the settings on your desktop (rt click properties) for icons. Do you have 'auto-arrange'?

Try
point at the desktop, but not at a desktop icon
right click
left click on "arrange icons by"
un-check "auto arrange"
check the option: "Lock Web Items on Desktop"
This should help some in leaving the desktop icons where you put them.

vulcanised
17th Jun 2013, 11:32
Agreed on getting rid of Chrome.

I find SRWare Iron (the unadorned basic Chrome) is useful as a backup browser.

Also using XP and http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif to mixture.

mixture
17th Jun 2013, 11:48
Why should XP be obsolete?

Microsoft have given you and the rest of the world more than enough prior notice that Windows XP is end of line.

They extended the support a little bit over the last few years, but have drawn a very firm line in the sand now that D-Day is 8th April 2014. They mean it this time. They will no longer provide any software updates or support (well, they will, the price is 500000USD per annum..... so only really viable for governments and bluechips who've got some justifiable reason to still be running an obsolete OS.... and even then, the updates will only be provided on-request, no more regular updates).

If you know what's good for you, you should be making plans to migrate to either a newer version of Windows or another operating system before that date.

It is totally unacceptable and irresponsible to wish to use a Windows XP machine on the internet after 8/4/14. Only XP machines that are permanetly disconnected from the internet can be deemed OK to use.

And please, spare me the nonsense of "oh I'm running anti-virus", "its behind a firewall" etc. etc. All codswallop and utter nonsense. AV and other security mechanisms are totally worthless if the core OS is not being kept up to date.

FerrypilotDK
17th Jun 2013, 12:09
I dislike most thing from MS, XP among them. However, it seems that our FMS updates depend presently on XP and so it will be "interesting" to see how Collins et al solve our coming issues.

While on the subject, how the h*** do I permanently remove Bing? Inadvertently it snuck unto my computer along with a DiVx driver and is one of the most irritating things on the planet. Like a cork, I push it under the water, but the dammm thing is suddenly back.

Even after deleting everything I could find with "conduit" and changing home pages etc, if I open a new browser window, it is effectively killed, but when I open a new tab, it is STILL there!!!

Out out damned spot!

BOAC
17th Jun 2013, 13:51
FPDK - not sure I understand that. Bing is a search engine and can be removed in that panel. Are you saying you are getting a 'Bing' page??

We need to know which browser and version and OS, I fear.

FullOppositeRudder
18th Jun 2013, 08:16
Thanks everyone. I had an uneasy feeling that even mentioning XP might cause a comment or two and I apologise for so doing. Yes I know it's been "superseded" thrice over, and yet it still runs programs which none of the replacements will. I understand it (more or less) and I can do things with ease in XP that have defied me in Vista :yuk: or W7.

The point is taken and I'm considering my options, however XP will remain on some of my machines, and I'll address the full implications of that when it becomes a little more essential. Yes I understand the risks etc. I'll probably wait for Windows 8, otherwise W7 may be considered if it's still available, or the penguin may be invited in. (Take that Micro$oft :* )

To return to the point of the discussion however .......
Thank you especially BOAC; everything was in operation as you suggested but I'll confess that I had never noticed the "Lock Web Items on Desktop" option. I'll invoke that and see if I can glue the blighter to the spot, otherwise it's Chrome uninstall - which may well happen anyway since it's only there by a cyber version of gatecrashing for which the company concerned should stand in shame.

Thanks again,
FOR