PDA

View Full Version : Fly past today

Will Hung
15th Jun 2013, 09:56
Can't find any specific info.on this today with regard to times, routes etc.

Can anyone help / advise ?

Thanks

maliyahsdad2
15th Jun 2013, 10:28
https://www.facebook.com/royalairforce?fref=ts

1PM. Scroll down the page to thursdays posts.

If you are not on facebook then here is the gist!

"This is the formation for Saturday’s flypast in honour of Her Majesty the Queen’s Official Birthday. The first aircraft, approaching from the Mall, will pass over Buckingham Palace at 1pm, and the last 3 minutes 30 seconds later. The flypast is subject to weather conditions on the day, which may if poor cause the flypast to be postponed or cancelled at short notice for flight safety reasons. The flypast and Trooping the Colour parade can be seen live on BBC1 starting 10:30am"
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1004743_10151653094559885_761824154_n.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1005870_10151649283444885_1727092325_n.jpg

Don't know about routes though.

Will Hung
15th Jun 2013, 10:35
Will they be routing via Northolt and the Chiltern NDB ?

Skips
15th Jun 2013, 10:49
Northolt hopefully

BOAC
15th Jun 2013, 10:50
I just hope the Reds see better station keeping in the mob ahead than at the Jubilee Flypast in 77 when they were forced to 'visit' the rooftops around High Wycombe and dear old Frank (RIP) had to rudder the 9-ship out of the melee. I recall Andy Penswick 'lost his bottle' too and re-heated his Lightning up to many thousand feet (in the TMA) away from it all.

Good luck, guys.

Skips
15th Jun 2013, 10:55
A Lightning on reheat...cool

Is there a route this year?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jun 2013, 12:13
I didn't know the RAF had that many aircraft... or after The Palace will some fly an orbit, don false beards and moustaches and rejoin the back?

Ianp83
15th Jun 2013, 12:15
Fantastic display. Very proud of our RAF.

SpringHeeledJack
15th Jun 2013, 12:34
Being completely unaware of the flypast (and the Trooping of the colour), I caught only the last 2 elements of said flypast, but to see a grey A330 banking with several fast jets in tow where normally an airliner would be bumbling along at half the speed into LHR, was very impressive, especially as it was unexpected.

SHJ

Skips
15th Jun 2013, 12:39
I live by RAF Northolt...The RAF is cool. Their planes are cooler. Lots of nice photographs.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jun 2013, 12:53
I agree. My late Wife was in the WRAF at Northolt many moons ago. It's sad to see such a great service diminished.

Ianp83
15th Jun 2013, 13:01
Shame the Spitfire and Hurricane weren't there flanking the Lancaster. Any idea why this would be? Wx? It's absolutely chucking it down in central London now.

DaveReidUK
15th Jun 2013, 14:35
Wx?That was the reason given on the BBC.

The VC-10 was weaving about a bit in the gusts, too. Nice to see it, though, on probably its last flypast outing.

Jet Simulation
15th Jun 2013, 15:09
We enjoyed seeing the flypast as well. Always good to have the Reds around.

Noticed the VC10 struggling a bit as well and thought it could have been a wake issue with the other aircraft as that was not being blown about. Saying that the weather has taken a turn for the worst so could have been thunderstorms as well.

Re: the routing, normally what has happened in the past is all the aircraft hold over LAM VOR until everyone is there and then shoot off from the hold directly over London as one of the radials goes directly down the Palace road. After the over fly, they break right (except helicopters who go left) and land at Northolt for a cup of tea and to fill the tanks before heading back to their respective bases. Great for Families Day in the Air Cadets in the past!

Jet Simulation.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jun 2013, 16:23
JS. Are you suggesting that all the fixed wing aircraft land at Northolt?

DaveReidUK
15th Jun 2013, 16:37
Re: the routing, normally what has happened in the past is all the aircraft hold over LAM VOR until everyone is there and then shoot off from the hold directly over London as one of the radials goes directly down the Palace road.Granted, an extended centreline along the Mall passes a mile or two south of the Lambourne VOR, but I thought that most of the aircraft formated much farther ENE, over Southwold (which is where you hit if you extend that line in the same direction).

Jet Simulation
15th Jun 2013, 17:50
Not sure about today's flypast Heathrow Director, however in the past that's what they did and in part was why families day was so successful... Also that means that Northolt pick up the fuel bill back and not the normal base!

Dave, a couple of our instructors did their training at Stapleford a few years ago and we all were very privileged to see all the birds flying directly overhead and then shot off when the Reds called they were inbound.

Jet Simulation.

OUAQUKGF Ops
15th Jun 2013, 18:23
Is that an Egyptair 777 towards the rear of the formation?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jun 2013, 18:33
Jet sim.. that's a lot of a/c and I very much doubt if Northolt could accept them. Do you know how much airspace it would take to sequence that lot into Northolt? I don't ever recall that happening when I was at work but, as always, things could have changed.

DaveReidUK
15th Jun 2013, 18:39
"The flypast itself will form up at Southwold, Suffolk and overfly Buckingham Palace. It will then disperse in the RAF Brize Norton, Oxfordshire area."

The Air Navigation (Restriction of Flying) (Her Majesty The Queen’s Birthday Flypast) Regulations 2013:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/831/pdfs/uksi_20130831_en.pdf