View Full Version : Meter System Phraseology in HK

TimoTheHedgehog
15th Jun 2013, 04:10
With the transition between imperial system in Hong Kong airspace and metric system in mainland China, I usually heard HK ATC would give instruction like "Climb to Flight Level 6900 meters, reach BEKOL Flight Level 4800 meters or above.", in order to indicate the level given is a standard pressure level.

However, in Chinese airspace ATC would put like this: "Climb to 6900 meters on standard", which is officially published as standard phraseology by CAAC (but I don't know if ICAO has put it as standard phrase in DOC 4444).

I wanna ask if "FL6900m" is a standard phraseology in HK, and do HK ATC ever issue instruction like "6900m on standard"? And what phraseology is used in other neighboring airspace of China / Mongolia / Russia? :confused:

Thanks!

broadband circuit
15th Jun 2013, 09:22
Not sure about which is the correct/standard phraseology, but I do know how to correctly spell metre.

A "meter" is a device that measures something, such as the electricity meter, or the water meter. "meter" is also used as a suffix with the same meaning, such as thermometer, being a device that measures temperature (thermo being derived from ancient greek meaning heat, or temperature).

A "metre", on the other hand, is a defined distance, originally defined as 1 10,000,000th of the distance from the equator to the pole, the result being that 1 metre is equal to 0.54 nautical miles. From the base word "metre" you then add prefixes to change the meaning, such as the prefix "kilo" which means 1000, to get "kilometre".

Back to your original question, I don't know what the correct R/T phraseology is.

MarkerInbound
15th Jun 2013, 09:56
Russia went to feet above the transition level November of 2011 so you get regular FL310 (or whatever) clearances there now.

All it hear in Chinese aispace is "climb 9200 meters." No "on standard." That's when they're speaking English, I have no idea how the clearance is given in Chinese.

monster330
15th Jun 2013, 10:29
Maybe he's a yank, they spell it meter, not metre.

Even predictive text does it meter.

That should test his metal

gerago
15th Jun 2013, 15:34
monster330

That should test his metal

....err, I guess you meant mettle?

Shag Nasty
15th Jun 2013, 16:08
In Chinese airspace they usually do say "on standard" when cleared to a flight level, is it correct, who knows, but that is what I hear Chinese ATC say to me everyday....HKG ATC do not say "on Standard".

crwkunt roll
15th Jun 2013, 16:10
You might want to do some more research! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre)
Jizz...... I think you missed a few zeros...........