PDA

View Full Version : Gliding solo

tobster911
13th Jun 2013, 12:28
Hello, weather permitting, I'm set to to go solo on Saturday, and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with me?

Thank you

AV83R
13th Jun 2013, 12:55
My first solo was at 16 with the ATC... simple 1000ft circuit lasting about 4 minutes and felt absolutely amazing. I subsequently stayed on to become an ATC instructor and had plenty of oppourtunities for solos, soaring at 5000ft and having 2 F15's hoon past a few hundred feet below was probably the coolest thing I remember!

You'll enjoy it despite the initial nerves... :ok:

ChrisA87
13th Jun 2013, 12:58
It was a complete suprise for me; I was doing my checks thinking he was strapping in behind me. The rear canopy closed and he was standing infront.

First thing that hit me was the silence - as in no chatter from the instructor. I remember not being able to contain myself, shouting something and then singing to myself while I ridge soared for half an hour.

Enjoy it! You only go solo (in a glider) once!

Dave Gittins
13th Jun 2013, 13:04
Blimey, never forget it.

16 yrs old 1968, RAF Burtonwood. Fabulous feeling wind in my face and trying to keep the red string tied onto the pitot ahead of the windscreen pointing straight back towards me. Lasted about marginally longer than my first go at sex.

In both cases, you never forget your first time.

robin
13th Jun 2013, 13:48
45 years ago as an Air Cadet at Bovingdon. I'll remember that day for ever (or until Dr Altzheimer gets me)

Rather than ask about our experiences, tell us about yours on Sunday.

Some of us are getting to be stale, old pilots so it will be great to get a little glimpse of the pleasure and pride you will feel, whenever it happens

glider12000
13th Jun 2013, 19:36
Mine was at the Inter University Gliding Competition at Lasham in 2008.

The week of flying really helped with pushing through to solo. Did a winch and a few turns and then joined the circuit, found myself going up along downwind, but I had committed to landed so did.

Brought the glider back to the front of the queue and flew off to do a Bronze leg, would have been bronze height too had I carried a logger, but great to be up at 5k shortly after solo!

Spent the afternoon doing a "cross country" in a T21.

My solo and bronze leg meant Leeds Uni won the comp that year.

Fly-by-Wife
13th Jun 2013, 21:14
Are you flying with the Lakes GC?

I spent a very pleasant week up there at Walney Island flying a T49 capstan, aerotows with a piper cub - I can't believe it was 23 years ago.

My first solo was in a k13 at Lasham the same year - just a circuit off a winch launch, but a huge thrill and sense of achievement! I think it was about 2.5 minutes!

FBW

astir 8
14th Jun 2013, 05:16
a) No nagging from the back :mad:
b) Ability to talk to yourself out loud without feeling an idiot :p
c) Wonderful feeling of excitement :ok:
d) Oh jeez, I've got to land this thing now :ooh:
e) Wow, the glider and I are on the ground and still intact. Hooray!:D

FullWings
14th Jun 2013, 06:54
As others have said, an unforgettable experience. I can still remember the cable going tight on the winch and giving all out from three decades ago - there was a lot to think about as we trained with K-21s and went solo on K-18s for some reason.

Enjoy the flight but most importantly, it's just the beginning...

Pegpilot
14th Jun 2013, 09:46
Two first solos for me, in a way. The first in 1977 at RAF Manston in a T31 at 16 years old. I was indestructible then, and sang all the way round the circuit. Then no flying at all for 17 years until re-solo aged 33 in 1994 at Channel GC near Dover. I remember being very much more aware of my own mortality so many years later ! That re-solo was 20 years ago in a couple of weeks and guess what - I'm still learning.

Good luck with the solo - I'm guessing from the forecast that Sunday is more likely than Saturday, given the likely wind strength tomorrow.

mary meagher
14th Jun 2013, 20:25
Enjoy! but don't expect to be sent off by yourself if the weather is dodgy, remember they're not worried about your capability, they just want the glider back in one piece.....

And my advice to you is this: solo is only the start of learning! yes, take off, do a sensible circuit and a nice landing. and then learn to soar, upwind of your airfield, stay up for half an hour, climb to 3,000 feet or more, learn to find the sweet spot under that cloud, learn how to find thermals when low by recognising
trigger point and sources. Remember to carry a data logger, learn to read the maps. Don't rely on GPS. Eventually that first cross country.....flying in strong winds safely (handling the aircraft on the ground takes special care). There is a whole new world out there, learning to use a ridge, to go rock polishing, recognise wave, fly in mountains, o my. We never stop learning in gliding. Solo is only the beginning.