PDA

View Full Version : DC-3 Flights in Europe

one11
12th Jun 2013, 10:03
I recall that , a few years back, around 2008, it was widely reported that new EU regulations would have the effect of prohibiting passenger flights in DC-3s and that Air Atlantique would terminate their UK passenger activities.

So i was surprised, on passing through Dusseldorf Airport last weekend, to find a programme of passenger flights in vintage airliners in progress, featuring not just a DC-3 ( of the Dutch Dakota Association) but also two Junkers Ju.52 and the Aer Lingus DH Dragon.

A leaflet from the Dutch group also set out a full programme of flights from various Dutch airports throughout 2013. See also DDA Classic Airlines (http://www.dutchdakota.nl)

So were the original reports a false alarm and did the UK ban such flights by over-interpreting an EU regulation and then blaming the evil Brussels bureaucrats ? Alternatively was the proposal withdrawn or some creative work-around devised ?

Jhieminga
12th Jun 2013, 12:55
I cannot give you the exact wording in the regulations but the way I understand it is that the CAA can provide an exemption to the EU regulations so that these flights are possible. Operations with historic airliners have never really stopped in The Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland (those are the ones I know of).

The question remains whether the blame should be placed on the CAA or somewhere else. It may also be a case of Air Atlantique not willing to go through the motions needed. You might also want to ask this question at Duxford as Classic Wings has never stopped flying passengers in their Dragon Rapides, AFAIK.
Dragon Rapide at Duxford (http://www.duxfordflying.co.uk/index.php?pageid=588)

spekesoftly
12th Jun 2013, 14:26
I believe the Dragon Rapide was not affected because the change in regulations only applied to aircraft having a maximum approved seating configuration of more than 19 passengers.

EDMJ
13th Jun 2013, 10:04
In Europe there are actually five Ju 52's (four in Switzerland and one in Germany), DC-3's in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland (in addition to those in The Netherlands), and a Constellation in Switzerland, all carrying passengers. Additionally, Lufthansa is rebuilding a Constellation for passenger-carrying flights as well.

So it is evidently indeed possible.

If I recall correctly, there were some technical constraints imposed by EASA but the national authorities had some leeway in interpreting/dispensing with them, which however required applying for this, but Air Atlantique never entered into a corresponding dialogue with the CAA.

one11
13th Jun 2013, 12:33
If I recall correctly, there were some technical constraints imposed by EASA but the national authorities had some leeway in interpreting/dispensing with them, which however required applying for this, but Air Atlantique never entered into a corresponding dialogue with the CAA

That pretty much answers my question. Thanks to all who posted.

Proplinerman
13th Jun 2013, 17:07
"If I recall correctly, there were some technical constraints imposed by EASA but the national authorities had some leeway in interpreting/dispensing with them, which however required applying for this, but Air Atlantique never entered into a corresponding dialogue with the CAA."

I don't think this last is quite correct: as I understand it (and I wrote to various MPs and MEPs about the issue at the time, having gone into it in some detail) the CAA's interpretation of the requirements of the EASA Directive were so onerous (eg fitting an escape slide to the main passenger door of the DC-3s, if you can believe that), that AA rapidly concluded that it would be prohibitively expensive to make all the necessary modifications.

So probably another case of UK Civil Servants "gold-plating" a (silly to start with) EU Directive, especially as the Dutch, Swiss and Germans have all apparently found ways to keep their historic airliners flying (tho of course the Swiss are not directly subject to it, not being members of the EU-sensible people).

The above all said however, the news coming out of AA's successor organisation, the Classic Air Force at Newquay, very recently, is that there is, I think, renewed hope of a "deal" with the CAA, to water down their interpretation of the Directive, so as to make it economic for the CAF to modify their DC-3s to comply with it. I hope so!

ATNotts
13th Jun 2013, 17:42
I guess the UK attitude can be put down to good old "'elf and safety" which is applied to the "nth degree" in the UK, and with rather more pragmatism in many other EU states.

EDMJ
13th Jun 2013, 20:46
So the CAA that allows private operators fly a Vulcan, Hunters and many other similarly exotic aircraft had problems with a DC-3 door? Difficult to believe....

Switzerland is an EASA state, by the way, even though they're not in the EU.