PDA

View Full Version : Irritable Safari Syndrome

SpringHeeledJack
11th Jun 2013, 17:55
Forgive me for starting a thread regarding Apple problems, but the thread for mac users seems to have fallen off the side of the forum :) Might it be a good idea to make the Mac thread a sticky, as it only concerns those of us lucky/unlucky enough to use their offerings ?

So, after updating the latest security version of OSX 10.6.8, I have the irritating happening of subsequent Safari pages opening slightly offset (vertically) and the next one same height as the first, the next offset and so on. Also when opening Safari anew the first page is offset from the normal standard position, which necessitates the moving of said page and the wasting of 3 seconds of one's life. :zzz: I know the world has bigger problems and this doesn't rate very highly, but if any kind soul could point out how to heal my irritating Safari pages, I'd be most grateful. :8

SHJ

mixture
11th Jun 2013, 19:31
Might it be a good idea to make the Mac thread a sticky, as it only concerns those of us lucky/unlucky enough to use their offerings ?

Been asked before, seems the mods don't care much for Mac users, guess they prefer the devil's system. :cool:

Have you delved into cleaning your preferences or anything like that ? If not, I'll come back and post a few suggestions....

Milo Minderbinder
11th Jun 2013, 22:20
I can't answer the question, but WRT to the Apple thread, I really wish the mods would stop dumping anything which happens to mention Apple into it.
Stuff is getting lost by putting it in there. Questions about Linux don't end up in a dump thread, so why do Apple threads? Its not as if questions about OSX and iOS have any degree of commonality anyway - its like dumping questions about DOS5, Xenix and Vista in the same thread because all were made by Microsoft....

More and more people are buying Apple gear and the Apple threads deserve to be treated on a par with the Microsoft ones

Milo now goes out the back and spits feathers - he hates Apple operating systems, but the truth has to be stated

mixture
11th Jun 2013, 22:28
Milo,

Never thought I would say it in this context, but....

Thank You.

:ok:

Turns a blind eye to Milo's moment of Tourettes in girly pink (I should know how to use colours on this thing, but don't, so here's some full on black instead !)

mixture
11th Jun 2013, 22:35
Now, briefly before our next interlude.... back to the original question....

have you tried :
- The "reset safari" function
- Quitting safari, moving " ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist" to a temporary (perhaps permanent) new home, and then opening safari again
- Repaired permissions courtesy of disk utility

P.S. I didn't realise they were still offering security update coverage for 10.6 ?? 10.7's long gone and 10.8 won't be around for too much longer (although well worth the upgrade IMHO).

Saab Dastard
11th Jun 2013, 22:40
There's no pleasing some people.

Asked to create an Apple thread, now told it's a bad thing. There WAS a Linux thread (still is), but it is so little used it's drifted way out of sight.

These are deliberately not stickied - if there's enough demand / interest they will stay near the top anyway, or at least on page 1.

It's a lot less effort for me to leave all threads as they are rather than move them around, so if that's what you want, it's not a problem for me.

I'm platform-agnostic - I'm just the janitor around here.

SD

mixture
11th Jun 2013, 23:05
http://cdn.motinetwork.net/motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0907/this-is-sparta-demotivational-poster-1247425293.jpg

Sunnyjohn
12th Jun 2013, 08:18
Thank you Milo and Saab Dastard.

If all else fails, trash Safari and then download again. If that fails, try downloading an earlier version. Sometimes Apple's 'improvements' to Safari don't work so well on older systems.

p.s. You could forget about a specific Apple thread. If we want to ask about Mac's we can just prefix the new thread 'Apple query'. You won't move that SD will you . . .? will you now . . . ?

Saab Dastard
12th Jun 2013, 11:20
Not a bad idea to ensure that Apple is mentioned in the title, to serve as a warning to others to stay out if they are PC-only!

SD

Milo Minderbinder
12th Jun 2013, 18:17
sorry SAAB
didn't realise it had been requested by others!
having said that, it would be a lot easier if you don't move them in future
thanks

mixture
Thats beige, not "girly pink". Harrumph.

Mr Optimistic
12th Jun 2013, 21:48
'Beige' - and you are comfortable with that but not pink ???

Milo Minderbinder
13th Jun 2013, 20:07
only when I'm feeling tired

Capt Claret
16th Jun 2013, 08:02
So, after updating the latest security version of OSX 10.6.8,

Crikey, my latest version is 10.8.4. :ooh:

Sunnyjohn
16th Jun 2013, 15:06
10.6.8 is Lion - 10.8.4 is Mountain Lion. He probably decided, like me, that it wasn't worth the cost of upgrading because almost all the improvements are to do with compatibility with mobile devices - of which I have none.

mixture
16th Jun 2013, 15:33
10.6.8 is Lion - 10.8.4 is Mountain Lion. He probably decided, like me, that it wasn't worth the cost of upgrading because almost all the improvements are to do with compatibility with mobile devices -

Oh how wrong you can be. :E

I'll grant you 10.6 was a decent OS.

I'll grant you 10.7 wasn't much of an upgrade to write home about.

However 10.6 -> 10.8 has seen improvements in many areas, "compatibility with mobile devices" is just a tiny portion.

Milo Minderbinder
16th Jun 2013, 16:01
my Mac is a mini running on a 10.5 version
don't think it can be upgraded
but as it only gets fired up twice a year when I need to research something I don't think I'll be changing

Sunnyjohn
16th Jun 2013, 21:13
Thanks, mixture. I'm well aware of the 'improvements' as I have a Mac running Lion and a second Mac running Mountain Lion, with which it came. I still don't think the 'improvements' are worth £13. Lion is a perfectly acceptable OS.

mixture
16th Jun 2013, 21:51
Guess you don't use half the features in 10.6 then, nor do you push your computer much because for me at least the overall performance improvements alone made it very much worthwhile, but then I do use and abuse my Macs more than the average Joe (or John :E).

But hey, each to their own.

Sunnyjohn
17th Jun 2013, 15:31
No - I'm retired, mixture -I don't push anything up much! The one with Lion is Mrs SJ's and she's perfectly happy with it. You are right, though.Neither machine is used to its full potential - but we like Macs.

mixture
17th Jun 2013, 15:43
No worries. Enjoy your macs..... you made the right choice there ! :)

SpringHeeledJack
24th Jun 2013, 21:45
Just as a point of interest, my 'problem' from the OP has, all by itself, rectified back to normal extra page positions. Maybe there was a security update in the last 2 weeks and the corrected code was contained within :confused:

As to why I'm still on 10.6.8, it's simply because it works, well enough for my needs and as I haven't availed myself of mobile gadgets there seems little need to change at this point. Thanks for all the suggestions btw.

SHJ

MightyGem
29th Jun 2013, 03:58
10.6.8 is Lion
Snow Leopard actually.

Anyway here are some Mac Forums that I use, one UK based the other two in the US.
mac4mac.co.uk ? Index page (http://www.mac4mac.co.uk/index.php)
MacRumors Forums - Mac News and Rumor Discussion (http://forums.macrumors.com/index.php)
Mac Forum & Discussions on Apple Products and Services (http://www.mac-forums.com/)