PDA

View Full Version : Airline Ratings dot com

VH-FTS
11th Jun 2013, 08:58
I was reading Plane Talking this evening and found Ben's latest blog to be quite interesting:

Airlineratings.com has some explaining to do | Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2013/06/11/airlineratings-com-has-some-explaining-to-do/)

Full safety marks for Jetstar, but Rex and Tiger cop a flogging. Air France score 6/7 for safety - WTF! Turns out Geoff Thomas is involved - self proclaimed aviation expert. More like glorified plane spotter, but it gives us some idea about the accuracy of the website.

So I head on over to the website for a look around. Turns out via a twi tter feed that Geoff is going to be on Today Tonight, so I switched on the TV just in time to watch Australian journalism at its finest. Full of the typical aviation safety media beat up, but a lot of focus on Lion and Tiger Australia. Lots of inaccuracies with some fact in between, but my favourite was that Virgin has apparently turned Tiger's safety around since buying them. Wow - that was quick!

Anyway, off to do some more exploring and see what else the spotter, I mean expert, has to say.

VH-FTS
11th Jun 2013, 09:13
Geoff, your biased opinion of Qantas is coming through in your website too, not just your Sunrise appearances with Kochie.

Qantas - 7/7 for safety and service
Qantaslink - 7/7 for safety - pfft, but Skytrans, Rex, Skywest all only get 5.
Jetstar - 7/7 for safety.

What a joke.

SOPS
11th Jun 2013, 09:44
Gotta keep that chairmans lounge invite active.:(

The The
11th Jun 2013, 13:30
Qantas should only get a 6 max for safety.

From the safety rating criteria:

Has the airline been grounded recently due to safety concerns? If yes an additional star will be taken off the total for five years from the time of grounding

Qantas was grounded due safety:

A Qantas senior executive says he had to ground the airline's fleet for safety reasons after the decision was taken to lock out workers.

The Fair Work Australia hearing into the Qantas stand-off heard the carrier was forced to cancel all its flights after the aviation safety regulator had raised concerns about its operations.

Qantas group executive Lyell Strambi, who is responsible for the airline's Air Operator's Certificate, told the hearing in Melbourne on Sunday that long-running industrial action by three unions had resulted in a gradual increase in risks on safety.

Qantas forced to ground its aircraft - SMH article (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/qantas-forced-to-ground-its-aircraft-20111030-1mpya.html)

ALAEA Fed Sec
11th Jun 2013, 13:45
You can post your thoughts on his ratings facebook page. I just did. Wonder how long before he removes the comments.

ozaggie
11th Jun 2013, 13:49
Managed to catch the illustrious GT on a local current affairs show at the pub tonight. Couldn't hear what he was saying, but it looked like ****e. Spare us this drivel, t'ink we're all over it, ter be sure, ter be sure!! :))

ALAEA Fed Sec
17th Jun 2013, 09:23
Wonder who is paying the Aviation expert?

http://i42.tinypic.com/2mpbfb7.png