PDA

View Full Version : Oldest RPT pilot

down3gr33ns
11th Jun 2013, 08:33
Have just done my own medical and the DAME mentioned that one airline pilot he examines is 74 years old.

That has me thinking, how old is the oldest RPT pilot in Australia?

With the majors, or regional?

Wally Mk2
11th Jun 2013, 08:43
Now how can you do yr own medical 3 G's?...............I bet you passed:E

I know of guys in their late 60's but one has gotta ask the question why would anyone wanna be at the wheel at that age? (70's)
I like flying always have but I am also looking forward to a time when I can go flying when "I" want to not when I have to.
Still will be interesting to find out what age groups out there are still at it:-)

Wmk2

porch monkey
11th Jun 2013, 08:49
We have just had one retirement at 70, and another going strong at 72. They stayed because they love it. What they don't know about flying jets isn't worth knowing. And they do their best to share it. Gentlemen both.

growahead
11th Jun 2013, 09:27
This is a very personal decision. Some may have to stay on for financial reasons, but there comes a time when one should hang up the hat, so to speak. If, after 30-40 years doing the same thing, it's a bit sad that a new interest can't be pursued. It is hard to walk away, but past early to mid 60's, anything can happen, and I'm sure performance diminishes. The memory is not so good, reflexes are definitely slower, complicated documents need that second reading to make sense, and the late hours/early mornings are all a bit more taxing. Of course, it can be argued that the experience equals or outweighs the downside. And once you've taken the walk, your perception changes, and you see things in a different light. I saw quite a few colleagues stay that bit too long, and it's sad to watch. Better to leave a year early, than a day late. From 60 on, if you can, chase your dreams, and don't put off anything you plan to do. One can still maintain involvement in aviation, but on one's own terms. I'd never question anyone who stays on while they can perform to the required standard, it's completely personal. You may be aware of the aged pilot involved in the Learjet crash in Mexico recently...there's definitely a limit, better to walk than be pushed.

Takeoff53
11th Jun 2013, 09:45
And free up your seat for a youngster....

Capt Fathom
11th Jun 2013, 09:56
If, after 30-40 years doing the same thing, it's a bit sad that a new interest can't be pursued.
Hey, settle down. I'm closer to 50 than 60 and been flying for 36 years. Not ready to give it away just yet... Bloody Wipper Snappers.

OneDotLow
11th Jun 2013, 10:18
http://i41.tinypic.com/acv3aq.jpg

Ps Not my image but it gave me a laugh.

Capt Claret
11th Jun 2013, 10:41
What right does any person have to say when one should give up flying?

It's up the the individual, either when they want to, can't pass the medical, or when they're not up to standard.

chimbu warrior
11th Jun 2013, 10:42
why would anyone wanna be at the wheel at that age? (70's)

...........a modest collection of ex-wives perhaps?

Capt Claret
11th Jun 2013, 10:46
Quote:
why would anyone wanna be at the wheel at that age? (70's)

...........a modest collection of ex-wives perhaps?

Or perhaps a late starter in the marriage stakes and thus becoming a dad in their 50's with 20-30 years of support & education to look forward to! :eek:

Wally Mk2
11th Jun 2013, 10:51
'chimbu' sadly that's more true than funny I suspect.

'CC' I know a Capt exactly as you described, never married & now done the deed with 3 kids all under 6 & in his 50's....interesting times ahead for him:)

I recall during WW3 an older Ansett 737 driver (Capt) was on his 3 rd wife (imported wife #3) & even then he was starting to think I want out as she wanted a pool to go where the tennis court was & that was just a start!
As a side note I said to him (as I was teaching him to fly toy planes at my club) what are you doing these days? He said still in transport, as a taxi driver !!!!
My ex father in-law (ironical I know!) worked 'till around late 60's & didn't have any other interests & when he retired he went OS on his first holiday to Bali, they brought him home in a pine box.

I'd recommend not to stay too long in any job.

Thread drift I know bur such a subject heading is rife for it:)

Wmk2

Horatio Leafblower
11th Jun 2013, 12:15
My Grandfather retired at 78.5 years old after selling the business he had built from scratch.

He cleaned out his desk on Friday afternoon, went home, and had a stroke.

My father was starting a new career (and third marriage) at 59 when he had a big fat heart attack and died.

I am not bothering to plan for retirement. :suspect:

training wheels
11th Jun 2013, 12:21
It used to be, say back in the 1980's, that if you didn't make it in to a jet RPT gig by the time you're 35, then you've missed the boat. Is that still the case, or are pilots still getting in to jet RPT in the mid to late 40's these days?

Capt Claret
11th Jun 2013, 12:43
It used to be, say back in the 1980's, that if you didn't make it in to a jet RPT gig by the time you're 35, then you've missed the boat. Is that still the case, or are pilots still getting in to jet RPT in the mid to late 40's these days?

42 when I started my first jet endorsement in '99.

Capn Bloggs
11th Jun 2013, 13:29
The Swinebat is not a jet, Claret! :}

Capt Claret
11th Jun 2013, 22:25
The Swinebat is not a jet, Claret! :}

That's not what you told me at the time Bloggs! :8

CoodaShooda
12th Jun 2013, 06:26

In the mid-70's it was "by 28". :{

Mach E Avelli
12th Jun 2013, 06:39
Pilots and ageing has been done to death, so to speak, elsewhere in Pprune.
All the usual arguments about getting a life outside aviation and moving over for the young pups, to pissing them off by holding out, to why it will cause erectile dysfunction if you either a) give it up, or b) persist with flying - depending on which side you are on.

I am not as good as I once was, but I am as good once as I always was.

5th officer
12th Jun 2013, 09:07
I know it is a well worn phrase, but age is relative. There are some old "young" Pilots and some young "old" pilots.
At 66 I do nothing different than I did at 36, just as fit and alert and a whole lot wiser. So I am not departing the left seat until I want to or the quack tells me to!:=

down3gr33ns
12th Jun 2013, 11:55
So, 18 posts and only one that addresses the original query. Other than the 70 and 72 year olds mentioned, any older than that still in RPT flying? Wasn't asking for a debate on the pros and cons of aged pilots, just a straight forward question!!!!!

wheels_down
12th Jun 2013, 14:29
I believe ther are a few at Tiger (ex AN) that are defiently up there.

Deborah Lawrie is a Captain at Tiger, been flying for nearly 45 years.

By George
12th Jun 2013, 21:12
Deb is a mere spring chicken. The answer to "Down 3 Greens" would have to be Pat Feeney at 75. Top bloke and looks about 55. Airwork of NZ recently saw the retirement of their oldest at 80. It's not about the money or number of wives, these people just love to fly. They are good at it and fit, so why not. Life is for living. Some of us oldies find Lawn Bowls boring.

Lookleft
13th Jun 2013, 00:01
You better not tell Deb that you posted about her on this particular thread wheels down or she'll rip yer bloody arms off!

Keg
13th Jun 2013, 00:37
Wasn't asking for a debate on the pros and cons of aged pilots, just a straight forward question!!!!!

A straight forward question? On PPRUNE? No debate? Are you high? I'm not sure what you ask is even possible! :ok: :E

Mach E Avelli
13th Jun 2013, 02:54
'Course it's not possible. Pilots have very short attention-spans. Whether the question is boring or interesting, straight or obscure - thread drift is inevitable.
Discussing stuff here is a bit like being at a party where everyone is talking over the top of everyone else and no one really gives a sh!t what the others are saying.
Why do we persist? We like the sound of our own voices - it's another pilot thing.

Capn Bloggs
13th Jun 2013, 03:02
We like the sound of our own voices - it's another pilot thing.
I can't hear my voice on Prune...yet! :uhoh:

Mach E Avelli
13th Jun 2013, 03:25
An' another pilot thing - taking everything absolutely literally........

Capt Claret
13th Jun 2013, 04:32
Ah Mach. If you knew our Bloggs like we know our Bloggs, you'd know he was very tongue in cheek. So far in his cheek he's stopped talking and now just mumbles. :E

Wally Mk2
13th Jun 2013, 06:15
Most threads either diverse after a few posts, get closed down by our Fav Mods as they don't like them or they simply peeder out due lack of interest. I mean how much can one post about older pilots after a few have been mentioned?

As for DL?.....use caution there ....as 'Looky' said:E

Wmk2

Dora-9
13th Jun 2013, 07:21
By George!

Your posting took me aback, although on reflection I guess Fat Peeny really IS 75; he certainly doesn't look it. Still very enthusiastic, he has a C.185 at YCAB and I see him quite often.

Nice to hear Deb is still around too. The "'nearly 45 years" may be a slight exaggeration; she started at Ansett in 1979 so unless she had flown for 10/11 years before that....

B772
17th Jun 2013, 13:27
Should anyone like to add DL to their birthday list she was born 3 years before the Melbourne Olympics on the 14 May.

wheels_down
18th Jun 2013, 14:07
Anyone know if Ken Broomhead is still flying?

OverRun
18th Jun 2013, 19:29
Bloody h*ll - DL is 3 days older than me. That is ancient ;)

Wally Mk2
18th Jun 2013, 22:57
........yeah 'Broomy' is still at it, one of the rocks of aviation in this country, a real inspiration & an honor to fly with:ok:
Few guys with his level of experience who would take the time to talk to the man on the street about flying:-)

.....pension cards, concessions, cheap public transport, grey hair, chicken skin & getting up several times in the middle of the night......ahhhh the benefits of being ancient !:E

Wmk2

tail wheel
19th Jun 2013, 00:38
Friend of mine retired from Sunstate a year or so ago at I think 72? He also had somewhere between 25K and 30K hours from memory?

I think Centaurus is still an active SIM instructor, hold a current ATPL and sharp as a pin, and he started flying around 1950!

HANOI
24th Jun 2013, 07:01
Did John "Rowdey" Reagan sit in the LHS of APNG DH-8 at age 77 years ?.

Grogmonster
24th Jun 2013, 09:41
What about Jack Curtis. Oldest Check and Trainer, on DC3's, in the world working at Bankstown last time I spoke to him.

Groggy

Howard Hughes
24th Jun 2013, 09:58
So that makes you...NAH! Ran out of fingers! ;)

garrya100
24th Jun 2013, 10:16
Good to hear Jack is still going, hadn't heard of him for ages. His stories about flying the Gooney bird are fascinating (and legendary!)

Capt Claret
24th Jun 2013, 11:01
So that makes you...NAH! Ran out of fingers! ;)

Surely you've got toes as well! :\

dodo whirlygig
24th Jun 2013, 11:29
I think the old farts should give it away and retire gracefully.

It'll open up opportunities for young blokes trying to get somewhere having spent oodles of $$$'s qualifying and not be blocked by someone whose ego and impressions of self grandiose get in the way of reality.

Horatio Leafblower
24th Jun 2013, 11:50
So, Dodo, having spent oodles of THEIR money, aren't the old farts equally entitled to an income from their investment?

What makes you more entitled to an income?

Why would you not continue working in an industry and a job that you love... if you could? and if you could still enjoy it?

I know I won't be flying past my 60th birthday. More power to Jack Curtis and his like, who have so much experience and wisdom to offer.

Capt Claret
24th Jun 2013, 12:11
Dodo, if you lead by example, you'll open up a spot for a pilot younger than you who has spent their $$ getting the ticket. :ok:

Dog One
25th Jun 2013, 08:44
Colleague tells me a Airnorth E170 Captain retired last year at 70, with about 31k hours in his logbook.

dodo whirlygig
25th Jun 2013, 12:31
Dodo, if you lead by example, you'll open up a spot for a pilot younger than you who has spent their $$ getting the ticket. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

I have.

Your next point?

Capt Fathom
25th Jun 2013, 15:56
someone whose ego and impressions of self grandiose get in the way of reality

That was the young blokes you were referring to?

Stationair8
26th Jun 2013, 08:23
Dog One, is that the gentleman that was CP of NJS?

Capt Claret
26th Jun 2013, 11:02
Stationair, very recently I heard talk that the gentleman of whom you speak was still there (at Air North).