PDA

View Full Version : Air Pacific/Fiji Airways

celester340
11th Jun 2013, 07:51
hi guys,

I just completed a skype interview with them. Does anyone know when they send u the link to the psychometric test?

Also anyone working with air pacific? Any help wud be appreciated regarding living,flying,base.

Thanking you.

MASTEMA
12th Jun 2013, 03:09
The promised Australian bases have been cancelled. The NZ gross pay is crap, especially if you are honest and pay Australian tax. There is no sick leave, annual leave or super. The real bonus is that the crazy Irishman works there!

They send the link within a week. BTW, it includes grammatical testing :O

Olive61
22nd Jun 2013, 08:19
It appears that Mastema has an axe to grind after an unsuccessful application. The contract terms and conditions are pretty clear and were recently substantially upgraded. Most of Mastemas points are incorrect. If you PM me I'll give you a heads up which you can then go about validating from reliable sources. Cheers

MASTEMA
22nd Jun 2013, 11:50
Hi 340

I wonder why Olive can't post the 'facts' and improved conditions for all to read?? Are they top secret men's business??

After getting Olive's secret embellished view, you could contact Fiji HR or IAC directly for the facts.

Enjoy the Nadi base and those outstanding terms and conditions.

The good part is that it is only a two year contract so you don't have to put up with them for very long.:)

Bulla vanaka!

MASTEMA
23rd Jun 2013, 08:14
Hi 340,
IAC sent me this info. It appears that ALL of my points were correct.

Term: 24 months
Age Limit: Maximum age of 60 years
Licences: ATPL preferably Fijian,Australian, NZ, HK, UK, USA & JAA Unrestricted Instrument Rating
Operating Base: Nadi, Fiji
Travel: Unlimited ID90 tickets & one FOC space available per annum J Class Firm for positioning duty travel (subject to availability at booking.
Remuneration For first 6 months:
Line Capt NZ$1000-$1100 per duty day paid off-shore.
Line Training Capt NZ $1050-$1175 per duty day paid off-shore.
Check Capt NZ $1225-$1250 per duty day paid off-shore.
After 6 months the duty day rate will increase by NZ $100 per duty day.
Unpaid deadhead days have been reduced from 4 per month to 2 per month. 50% of the daily rate will be paid for each day beyond 2 per month.
Completion Bonus: NZ $100 per paid duty day,paid upon completion of 6 months continuous service.
Duty Days: Averaging approx. 17 duty days per month Per Diem: Paid in accordance with Air Pacific policy
Accommodation: Hotel accommodation provided at base and layover ports
Insurance Emergency Medical/Travel Insurance: is provided

Not a bad retirement job! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

sids2stars
25th Jun 2013, 18:20
Hi, which fleet have been shortlisted for? 330?

Olive61
26th Jun 2013, 19:43
The answer is very simple - We've all been asked not to post contract specifics on PPrune, in order to avoid the looney fringe and disgruntled wannabes running away with interpretations and inventing material to suit their agenda. We also have a contract clause which requires confidentiality. As I said in my post. ..... PM me and I'm happy to brief on the various options available. Cheers

MASTEMA
26th Jun 2013, 22:53
"...in order to avoid the looney fringe and disgruntled wannabes running away with interpretations and inventing material to suit their agenda."
And
"The contract terms are pretty clear..."

If it smells like BS...

IAC has made no such directive and is in fact encouraging as much exposure as possible.

Enjoy!

Olive61
27th Jun 2013, 02:25
No BS here. I never mentioned IAC. I guess you have put your own interpretation in here, to suit your own agenda. There has been a clear FJ instruction not to go blurbing off T&Cs through the social media for the reasons stated. As per my post, anyone who wants an opinion from on the ground, is free to PM me. A number have. Enjoy :O

MASTEMA
27th Jun 2013, 03:10
So the FJ direct hire conditions are 'substantially better' than the IAC conditions?

So 'all of my points' are incorrect?

So FJ wants this kept top secret?

So IAC is comfortable with this 'substantial difference'?

So all this smoke and mirrors stuff keeps the looney fringe and disgruntled wannabees away?

Clearly that horse has bolted and the BS just keeps on flowing.

More Kava Vicar?

Enjoy!

Olive61
28th Jun 2013, 22:27
As the sms cryptics go ........... DWMFT, NWOFC. Cheers

MASTEMA
29th Jun 2013, 13:51
OMG more smoke and mirrors. :suspect:

Okay I checked the front cover and it made me think... full time ground duties would give you plenty of time to waste!

Pass the kava old sock!

The other FJ thread is more fun, Toodles :}

Airbus330pic
3rd Sep 2013, 11:17
Does anyone have any info on what the Skype interview with Fiji Airways is all about ? Thks

The Nemesis
4th Sep 2013, 06:03
Mastema the thing to remember is : a duty day is any day you spend away from home base. If you don't make it home for say 30 days due flying requirements ( but you still get days off in NAN ) that's 30x your daily rate.:)

Airbus330pic
5th Sep 2013, 07:15
Hello . Any info on what they ask on the Skype interview. Thks

The Nemesis
5th Sep 2013, 21:17
The interview is very straight forward. ( No H.R. B.S.- "When was the last time you resolved conflict on the flightdeck" etc )

It's questions like : When did you start flying ? are you still current on type ? Have you ever had an (aviation ) accident and maybe one tech type question.

Feel free to P.M. me if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

T.N.:ok:

beam me up Scotty
8th Sep 2013, 11:23
the interview is very straight forward, their internet is unreliable at times which can cause delays, the psych test can be a little tricky and they seem to put a lot of weight on the results, happy if you want to PM ,

jr5211
15th Sep 2013, 18:08
If I may help. Anyone that received a call to work for this company and finally decide to join, aim to have your contract through IAC.
Reasons:
- You don´t pay taxes in Fiji as non-resident (46%) and non will advise you about it.
- You have a commuting roster (never complies by Fiji Airways) of 42/18.
18 days includes 4 days travel, 2 before, 2 after 14 days off block.
- Get ready to live in Tanoa Intl **** hotel.
- Get ready to fly 100 hrs in 28 days.
- Get ready to never get clear when you go back home.

I hope this help-

MASTEMA
16th Sep 2013, 06:33
Nemesis

Given that "home base" is the delightful Tanoa, how do you figure being away for 30 days? (Although I am sure you would like to be!)

jr5211 is giving a more realistic view of the contract and not fluffing up a pigs ear, like certain others.

Lets be honest, if you have missed out everywhere else, it suits fine.

Zbogom!

THRidle
16th Sep 2013, 08:13
Mastema, as I'm sure you are fully aware, the Tanoa is only your "home base" if you are Nadi based on a Fiji Airways contract. := If you are I.A.C. you have a choice of "home base" away from Nadi.

B.T.W. I just came across a website where another guy called "Mastema" was singing the praises of that chap that just got dumped from Flight Centre. :ok:

The Nemesis
16th Sep 2013, 08:17
Thanks THRidle, you just beat me to it.

The above facts re the Tanoa and Home Base's are correct.

MASTEMA
16th Sep 2013, 09:51
Nemesis

Really?

What other operating/ home/ A330 bases (besides the Tanoa) do Fiji have??

THRidle

Why are you stalking the FC guy of the past eleven years :confused: The new guy is a professional male model, which might be more 'up your alley'?:ok:

beam me up Scotty
16th Sep 2013, 11:22
Not everyone stays at the T Intl, some have apartments,some have private houses and some stay at the Sofitel at Denaru, it depends who represents you and what deal they can get for you . :cool:

The Nemesis
16th Sep 2013, 22:29
I've been told about 6 expats on the A330 are based away from Nadi, mostly in Aus.

beam me up Scotty
17th Sep 2013, 10:44
there are expats with Syd, Bne , and LA bases,

jr5211
3rd Oct 2013, 07:54
Guys,

As "direct hired" you have home base NADI at Tanoa´s
Days off at Nadi

As IAC contracted, you have any Fiji Airways destination as "Home base", Nadi operating based.

"Home base" means that at your 14 days off rotation, you will be dead headed to your home base. During you 42 on days, you will be operating from Nadi.

sheppey
21st Oct 2013, 09:36
Let's cut to the chase here. Anecdotal evidence reveals expatriate first officers joining Air Pacific are informed that company policy is they can never be considered for commands. Only Fiji/Indian nationals passport holders will be promoted to commands.
Is that really true? :sad:

spleener
21st Oct 2013, 11:31
So, like most developing nations, maybe they have a localisation program.
What's new?

Jack Ranga
21st Oct 2013, 12:48
Sounds rascist to me.

Mach E Avelli
21st Oct 2013, 20:44
Although racism is rampant in many developing nations (and elsewhere) such a policy is not at all racist. It is driven by politics and economics. Expatriates of any persuasion cost more than locals because they usually earn more money and have accommodation provided etc. The better contracts offer assistance with school fees, and the really enlightened countries offer tax incentives. None of these goodies are available to locals.
When employers want to engage expats, they have to put up a case to immigration to show no suitably qualified or experienced local is available. In some countries there is a significant bond involved to guarantee that the expat will be sent home at the end of contract, or in the event of redundancy.
An expat is hired for his/her experience, not for his/her personal career development. If money must be spent on training to higher qualification, that money is - as it should be - allocated to locals.
Some places, like Singapore, did have policies of upgrading expat pilots from F/O to Captain - but only if they accepted local terms. A few very wealthy places - like the UAE - do provide a career path. Hong Kong is another possibility. But that won't last forever, so get in quick if you want an upgrade.
Expats are generally tolerated only for what they can bring to the company. It is all about what you can do for the country, not what the country can do for you.

A pity we are not as hard-nosed here.

ad-astra
21st Oct 2013, 20:48
It's their train set and knowing the ground rules you are not forced to join.
Many National Airlines have similar policies to enable their own countrymen to advance through the ranks.
The career of a contract pilot would be littered with Airlines who cancel a contract at the first hint of a down turn to protect their own National pilots.

Anthill
21st Oct 2013, 21:17
Not always the case, Ad-Astra. During the SARS epidemic I was working as a contract pilot in SE Asia. When the airline cancelled 100's of flights per week, the locals were still given 90 hours per week otherwise they would lose their Flight Pay. We expats were doing 2 short sectors every 8 days. If we were laid off, those in charge wouldn't get their kick-back from the contractor. We spent most days sitting in the sun drinking beer around the pool at the Omni Hotel while getting paid full salary. It was great! :p

But further to what others have said, 3rd world carriers don't see themselves as training organisations for Western pilots. You would only see an upgrade if there were no suitable locals and they couldn't get a contract captain from somewhere-which is pretty unlikely.

Metroboy
22nd Oct 2013, 07:41
Wassa "rascist"?

empacher48
22nd Oct 2013, 08:06
Yes, it is true.

Not only in Fiji Airways, but also PacSun on the ATR fleet. Wrong passport means no chance of progression even if you are on a local contract, being paid the same as the locals.

Icarus2001
22nd Oct 2013, 10:19
Based on nationality then, not race, so hardly rascist (sic).

Jack Ranga
22nd Oct 2013, 10:59
So all of the pilots coming into Australia on 457's are being told they will not be eligible for upgrades due their nationality?

neville_nobody
22nd Oct 2013, 21:53
Its actually worse than that. You could go to a foreign country fly as a FO, have your command blocked by a local and that same local could then get a command in Australia because you're to inexperienced.

Maybe it's time for the Australian government to start looking after the locals here.

The Nemesis
23rd Oct 2013, 06:52
Guys it's a contract !!!!!!!! From memory I don't think Korean will bust a boiler trying to upgrade a contract F/O to command.

1st lady
31st Oct 2013, 00:25
One case in pac sun, ATR F/O from Vanuatu(Belgian Passport holder) after 2 yrs was upgraded to Capt,still flying in Fiji,not sure whether he got himself a Fiji passport during his time in fiji prior to comd ...................maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel,maybe:confused :confused:

geeup
1st Nov 2013, 06:17
Or maybe the kiwis just liked him?

Jet Fuel Addict
9th Nov 2013, 07:58
(Belgian Passport holder)

Maybe he promised to set up a brewery... :ok:

frigatebird
15th Nov 2013, 18:34
Maybe it's time for the Australian government to start looking after the locals here.

Australian politicians and CEO's NEVER look after local Aussies. They haven't been doing it since Federation, and are not about to start now! (With the possible exception of Billy Hughes on Conscription for the British war effort in WW1. -But P.M. John Howard was on record to say he would consider it if "needed" again to support further American adventures, at the same time as he was taking away his citizens privately held firearms.)

Aussie Mateship is a cultivated Myth, brought up regularly to distract the voters from increased stifling regulation..

737NGexpat
5th Dec 2013, 12:58
No Expat will upgrade in Fiji Airways !
I would be very cautious joining that company !
Except Aaron Dean (A330 fleet Captain) the rest of the management guys/girls in those offices in the Hangar are nothing but crooks ! Well I guess Pflieger did a great job hiring them !
Ask ..I promise ..I will tell

Ozdork
6th Dec 2013, 03:15
Ok, I'll ask. Please tell?

geeup
7th Dec 2013, 06:20
I'm all ears :E

neofj
10th Dec 2013, 02:05
we are asking

737NGexpat
11th Dec 2013, 10:05
tried to post before details, but it was blocked...to many names and to many details....
pm me any question..

flyingsaint
11th Feb 2014, 20:47
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT COME HERE AND B....TCH ABT THINGS, IF YOU DONT LIKE THE **** HOTEL GET LOST .............U TAKE JOBS AWAY FROM LOCALS THAN YOU FREAKING COMPLAINT ABT LIVING CONDITIONS jr5211

Chocks Away
14th Feb 2014, 01:01
Relax "flying saint", your new CEO is openly stating locals get preference and they are actively turning away many experienced expat crews, even though crewing is short on all fleets. You have Frank on your side too! Chill, Fiji time:ok:

CanadianTrev
14th Feb 2014, 23:56
Is all of Fiji Airways pilot positions contracted? I'm current on a 737-800 with a Canadian company and they will be offering leaves soon. Any info on the best company to contract with? Thanks

Trev

hoover1
19th Feb 2014, 18:20
Go with IAC Global. Fiji is doing interviews next week with a class starting 10 of March. It can happen quick if you have all your stuff together.

Tee Emm
22nd Feb 2014, 22:08
My understanding is expatriate first officers are advised they are not eligible for commands at Fiji Air regardless of their length of service in the airline or their competency and experience on type. And they are further told that as soon as local cadets are ready by local standards (read what you wish into that statement) to go into the right hand seat, the expatriate first officers will be given the bum's rush.

While that policy also applies to many foreign airlines, it is still a real let down and a bitter disappointment to those that have given loyal service. That policy also invites direct entry captains whose previous records be occasionally less than stellar if truth be known. Ask the Fiji Air first officers who crew with these types. You would be mildly shocked to say the least.

chiieeck
3rd Mar 2014, 21:55
Your negativity towards FJ seems to suggest that either you didn't get in or didn't get what you want. You must be just an explosion of joy to fly with. I could just see it - complaining all the way to destination and back.

People, FJ have their own rules, requirements and standards. It may not be the best in the world but it's theirs. If you don't like it their standards or conditions, don't join the company. It's as simple as that. Just like any other company in the world, you join em, you follow their rules! We all have our place somewhere in the world. As for you MASTEMA - your place is obviously not in this world.

chiieeck
3rd Mar 2014, 23:26
Sounds like an expat who couldn't get his way....everybody must be a crook. Makes sense. Ok, there is no upgrade for expat FOs....and the problem is?? That's the way it works there. Don't like it - F@rk off somewhere else!

neofj
15th Mar 2014, 05:08
Heard rumors that Fiji Airways may be hiring A330 S/O's, any truth to this ??

MASTEMA
17th Mar 2014, 23:28
We all have our place somewhere in the world. As for you MASTEMA - your place is obviously not in this world.

After just three posts Chiieeck has revealed himself to be a self opinionated, 'my way or the highway', egocentric bully, with a low standards disorder.

Stay Blessed indeed. :suspect:

Bulla vanuka

The_Pharoah
18th Mar 2014, 02:22
Bulla vanuka

Sorry, that should be Bula Vinaka or just Vinaka (thank you). My $0.02 worth. :p

MASTEMA
18th Mar 2014, 03:43
Vinaka! :ok: Damn spell check, reminds of the story below.

A man received an e-mail from his neighbour: "Sorry Jim, but I have been using your wife... day and night whenever you're not at home. In fact, probably more than you. I'm confessing now because I feel really guilty.

I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies. I will ask your permission in the future.

Upon reading this, Jim, without uttering a word, throws his wife and all her possessions out the front door.

A few minutes later he received another e-mail: "Sorry Jim: I meant 'wifi' not 'wife'. Damn spellcheck!"

The_Pharoah
19th Mar 2014, 00:23
lol all good mate. :ok:

kopatuc
22nd Mar 2014, 02:30
Can anyone give me an idea on the Phsyc Test ?
How long ?
Catagories ?
etc.

alpine blue
25th Mar 2014, 14:50
Well said flyingsaint.

What has happened to the salaries of the 747 captains that were downgraded to the A330 after the 747s were retired.

chopper2
26th Mar 2014, 23:56
kopatuc (http://www.pprune.org/members/283878-kopatuc) Asked can anyone give me an idea on the Phsyc Test ?
How long ?
Catagories ?
etc.

They used to use Saville Consulting (savilleconsulting DOT com/products/wave-questionnaires-preparation-guides-and-advice) where time was the main problem.

The modules were: Verbal, Numerical and Error Checking

Has this changed?

Ozdork
28th Mar 2014, 22:19
Most 747 skippers moved across onto the Airbus, still on the same pay. F/O's were either upgraded to B737 command or Airbus F/O. S/O's got a F/O slot too, with the last one in training now. That's the locals - the Expats didn't have their contracts renewed, such as is the contract world, with the exception of one older F/O who had previous 737 time with the company and was offered a 737 slot.

Mark321
2nd Apr 2014, 21:07
Hi Gents,

Anyone can confirm which is the exact online tests brand? It seems there is a lil difference between someone who did one test with a brand and some other one with others.
Any reply highly appreciated,
Tks

Mark

alpine blue
28th Apr 2014, 05:30
Well it did not take long for Fiji Airways to smash up their A330.

Airbus as you know is totally different from the Boeing which is the only type Fiji Airways have flown. Therefore proper training is essential.

Can someone answer this vital question.

How long after the local captains completed their A330 type rating, in weeks, went by before they became training captains???

I remember Training Captains converting from the 767 to 747 were instantly given training status on the 747, training was lousy as they did not know the aircraft. The boys in the training department bend the system for monetary gains. Hence not much of an airline left and 1 plane smashed up.

The Nemesis
28th Apr 2014, 08:33
Get with the program Alpine. My understanding is that there is currently only one local training captain on the A330 and that is the fleet manager- from reputation, a very good operator

JasperF
28th Apr 2014, 20:07
Greetings,

I see FIJI AIRWAYS is looking for First Officers FOR THEIR A330 aircraft. I sent an email to the address posted on their website, [email protected], and it was returned as undeliverable.

Can someone here point me in the right direction with updated contact details, ie, PHONE NUMBER and EMAIL ADDRESSES?

Thank you,
Jasper

i_fly_planes
29th Apr 2014, 07:22
Jasper,

Without sounding crude you may want to double check the position on offer and secondly you may want to check the spelling for the email address.

Cheers

alpine blue
2nd May 2014, 11:44
Thank you Nemesis for your reply but you failed to answer my question.

Here it is again.

How many hours did the local Captain(s) have after completion of their A330 type rating. Before they became training Captains on the A330.

strut780
4th May 2014, 23:54
Alpine Blue.

Why do you need to know? Seems to me its none of your business! :ugh:

Olive61
5th May 2014, 23:25
Hi Alpine Blue

This is the identical question you have posted elsewhere. And this is the identical answer posted elsewhere ......... which you have already received.

Hi Alpine. Your answer is 6-8 months - approx - and there is only one to date. You would be hard pressed to find a better operator or training captain than the one appointee so far. The initial group of TRIs and TREs who came to the A330 introduction are all highly experienced with extensive backgrounds with major international carriers - they are all still with FJ. This team was also supplemented by Airbus training captains on rotation. :rolleyes::O

RJ Bum
8th May 2014, 15:40
"As IAC contracted, you have any Fiji Airways destination as "Home base", Nadi operating based.

"Home base" means that at your 14 days off rotation, you will be dead headed to your home base. During you 42 on days, you will be operating from Nadi."

I'm attempting to go through IAC. Are all the schedules 42-14 for the 737 capt positions? Can you use one of the codeshare destinations such as Miami for your home base?

Thanks!

alpine blue
14th Jun 2014, 10:44
Thanks Olive for the reply.

However if training is so good and everyone has a good reputation and you would be hard pressed to find a better operator in your opinion. Then explain how a 330 received extensive damage on landing.

alpine blue
14th Jun 2014, 10:54
Thank you Strut for your reply.

It is my business because I have to fly Fiji Airways. I would like to think the next time I fly as a passenger with them it does not have a cracked landing gear strut because we do have a choice as to who we fly with now.

I can understand pilots make mistakes but Air Pac management have a history of covering these up and not putting measures in place to prevent a reoccurrence. Remember the unstable approach on the 767 a few years back, gear not locked down a 500 feet, ELOMS picked it up management buried it.

Lets hope you were not the landing gear strut on the A330 otherwise you would have to change your name to broken Strut.

knox
14th Jun 2014, 21:54
Hi everyone

I applied for the A330 SO position a while back and have heard nothing. Only correspondence I've had was the auto generated email reply.

Anyone know whats happening with the recruitment there.

cheers

Knox.

coconut99
14th Jun 2014, 23:18
A bit away from the Fiji aviation scene but from what I have heard, a bunch of locals were selected for the second officer positions. However, most of them straight out of flying school with a majority not even meeting the published requirements. Strangely enough, apparently not one pilot from subsidiary pacific sun had their applications considered...what's with that?? Must be disappointing for them. With a few already failing on the A330, how do they expect these 'inexperienced' SO's to cope?

On a brighter side, exodus to the ME and Asia from the A330 is resuming! Good luck boys! I've never regretted it and neither will you. With FJ, the gra$$ is always much greener on the other side...

Mr Angry from Purley
15th Jun 2014, 07:46
Alpine

In Europe there is normally a requirement of sectors and hours to go from "new" to experienced. The requirement when you can train to my knowledge is not mandated and may rely on the judgement of the Chief Trainer.
You seem to have a gripe against FJ i guess the answer is dont fly on them

knox
15th Jun 2014, 08:55
Thanks Coconut99.
I exceed their mins by quite a bit, but fair enough if they want to employ their own nationals.
Had to drop my flying career for a while due family commitments but hanging out to get back in the air again.

Knox.

alpine blue
12th Jul 2014, 06:46
I heard that a few years ago the FNPF have cut monthly pension payments.

Am away from Fiji at present but still have some money invested with FNPF.

Can someone explain how much have monthly pension payments been cut?

On retirement can you take all your money as a lump sum and has this been cut?

vinaka.

alpine blue
15th Aug 2014, 17:57
Well as soon as you mention FNPF it all goes quiet.

framer
16th Aug 2014, 09:56
I'm definitely quiet after you mention FNPF because I don't know what it stands for. Any hints?

Shadaab
17th Aug 2014, 02:29
Fiji National Provident Fund. @framer

alpine blue
21st Aug 2014, 14:51
This is how you get round the upgrade issue. If you only have F.O. time don't tell them. Tell them you were a Captain before, they don't check and the interview process is easy for expats. Just join as a Captain even if you are not, you will get through the Captain sims as they are easy, its been done before. Once they knowingly took a Float Plane Pilot and put him left seat 737, it helped that he knew one of the management pilots.

However its best to be honest and not do this.

Olive61
26th Aug 2014, 20:01
Hi Alpine, your outburst of 16 August on the other thread (closed by the mod) says a lot about you. Perhaps the medication is wearing off. If you have any genuine questions about the validation of standards please feel free to PM me - only too happy to respond. :rolleyes:

bluepacific
10th Sep 2014, 14:30
Alpine Blue,
Give it a rest, you've left FJ, and moved on to a better place. Leave the gang in FJ alone.
Drink your grog and eat your boneless meat you ****.

Bug Up
10th Oct 2014, 23:35
Anyone out there who can pm me with regards to working here? Not looking for trash talk. Just some honest answers. Thanks in advance.

alpine blue
1st Nov 2014, 11:44
Blue Pacific you state "leave the FJ gang alone" however unlike you I was supporting the FJ pilots.

When an expat Cessna float plane pilot was employed to become a Captain on the 737 he took a job away from every local F/O.

The fact that you support these corrupt practices and are trying to brush the evidence under the carpet raises an eyebrow as to your own integrity, and possible involvement in the said incident.

Just as people are free to be corrupt, this is a forum where people are free to express their views.

You are free to disagree with what I write, however you should back up you opinions with logic and facts. By personally attacking someones eating and drinking habits proves nothing and by resulting to the use of expletives shows you have a limited vocabulary and a stunted intelligence.

macdonaldjames93
4th Nov 2014, 10:58
Hi Bug up,

What equipment you're after? Fiji Airways operates B73NGs and A330s, Fiji link operates ATRs and Otters

For the jets talked to IAC or Rishworth and check Fj's contracts it might be for you then again it might not so check it out, those two are doing the hiring for FJ

Talking to some of the expatriate Fj boys at Tanoa International Hotel where Fj put up there crew most of them speaks very highly of Fj

Hi ATR,

So sorry to hear about your situation have you looked at Hevilift? its been weeks since i last spoke to the boys up in POM but last I heard they were hiring Otters and ATR drivers..........up to you if you wanna check it out, money is good plus 28 on 28 off

Hope that helps gents

MJ

flyingsaint
10th Nov 2014, 22:32
sad sad extremelysad

Repro
6th Jan 2015, 22:31
Just a heads up that Fiji Airways, AirPack, only give 5 days off straight now for commuting.
Paxing is included in the 5 days, so only 3 days at home a month.
Enjoy.

TBM-Legend
6th Jan 2015, 23:04
Don't like it, get another job! Simple>>>

ratpoison
6th Jan 2015, 23:19
Thanks Repro for giving the guys a heads up.

Don't take any notice of TBM's response. You had a 50% chance of getting an idiots comment anyway.:ugh:

Square Bear
6th Jan 2015, 23:48
Repro,

How many total days off a month in the contract, and how are they managed?

Thanks

Repro
7th Jan 2015, 00:33
The trouble is there is no mention of days off in the contract.
It was an understanding that it was a commuting contract when joining.
It used to be 40 on, 20 off.
Then it changed to 20 on, 10 off.
Now only 5 off.
So, if it doesn't change back to 10 off, people will leave.
Sign of the times with aviation these days.
Musical chairs.
I have 4 licences now, I realy don't want a fifth.
Retirement sounds good, but I would have to sell the boat.

Square Bear
7th Jan 2015, 11:47
Repro

you haven't mentioned days on relative to the 5 days off, whereas you mentioned the previous 40/20, then 20/10. Is it possibly 10/5.

Have a few mates looking and days off will be the deal maker or breaker.

(For those that are thinking of posting that I ring FJ direct, please...I would rather get information from a guy on the floor than deal with HR "used car salesman" types)

Thanks in advance.

Repro
7th Jan 2015, 21:04
8 days off a month, 5 are consecutive.

oicur12.again
15th Jan 2015, 23:30
There are as many different contracts as there are nationalities. My contract states 20/10 and is pretty clear.

Under the new roster effective Jan i have a maximum of 3 consecutive days off, not possible to commute to my home 5200 miles away and certainly not in compliance with my contract. But apparently the company does not care.

Resumes are flying out the door and several people have been fired as a result of arguing about the changes made to the rostering practice.

It was fun while it lasted . . . . .sort of.

Centaurus
16th Jan 2015, 01:41
Resumes are flying out the door and several people have been fired as a result of arguing about the changes made to the rostering practice.

Despite excellent advertising, attractive paint scheme on their aircraft and attentive cabin crew, there is no shortage of anecdotal evidence, and an alarming number of Pprune comments, that the flight deck atmosphere and pilot/management relationship is not exactly a happy scene. TEM in this case appears to be keep your mouth shut or get the sack. Not exactly a flight safety ideal?:eek:

oicur12.again
16th Jan 2015, 02:23
There is NO TEM at all.

silverhawk
16th Jan 2015, 21:11
I was faced with a 36 hour journey each way home and a total of 14 HOURS at my home each month!
Obviously that was not in my contract. When I complained I was dismissed.
Ken Barley, Alan Killick and the outgoing CEO are sure to be jumped on by the Board very soon.

There will be plenty of vacancies soon but do not consider joining until this episode is rectified. ie, new contracts with commuting option reinstated.

Otherwise I had a fun time there. Quaint little backwater airline.

oicur12.again
17th Jan 2015, 01:22
Quaint??????

Any KA/CA guys I know who were sniffing around have certainly lost interest.

framer
17th Jan 2015, 03:32
What XAA does Fiji Airlines operate under. Ie who issues their AOC?
It sounds to me that it must fly close to the wind legally if you have five days a month off and three are consecutive. Would that not have you working seven days straight at one point?

Square Bear
18th Jan 2015, 03:16
8 days off a month, 5 are consecutive.

Seems it is not only Fiji Air that think pilots don't have a life......or feet that enable one to walk out.

http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/479974-air-niugini-t-cs.html @ Post 17.

What is it with airlines, just what don't they get about "happy employees make a happy company".

Bones13
18th Jan 2015, 18:17
Under Fijian regulations pilots can do 9 straight I believe, but require a minimum of 8 days off in 28 days.

silverhawk
18th Jan 2015, 23:34
The Regs are fine. They work for the geography of the islands. Only did 1250 hours in 2 and a half years. The problem is the commuting option has been eroded to zero for many of the
expats.

framer
19th Jan 2015, 12:03
I see they are advertising by email today for both Captains and F/O's to start immediately. Does Fiji have their own regulator?

silverhawk
19th Jan 2015, 22:08
They do.
Guess who asked me for a full and frank analysis and report? Their Regulator.

Watch what happens when the incompetents in office positions try to dictate.

framer
20th Jan 2015, 00:53
Well I hope you give it to them straight.
The email I recieved stated
Please note: The airline are currently looking for pilots who are flexible with their time as a fixed roster is not currently operational.

That statement alone would have the Australian or NZ regulators looking very very closely at whether they should be continuing to operate in the immediate future.

oicur12.again
20th Jan 2015, 03:25
"The airline are currently looking for pilots"

Yep, if rumors are correct they will be looking for a lot of pilots.

silverhawk
20th Jan 2015, 10:29
Be assured, after the way I was treated......

I SHALL BE GIVING IT TO THEM STRAIGHT.

I am a nice guy until someone tries to dick me or my family. Barley, Killick, the management team and Stefan, CEO will regret this.

Chocks Away
20th Jan 2015, 16:36
Finally it's come home to roost! Bravo
My dealings with these turkeys last year were nothing short of appalling.
They really are playing in the shallow end and the rot started from the top, beginning a long time ago but getting no better.

troppo
23rd Jan 2015, 22:22
i wish i was a model citizen :ugh:
:=
karma.

troppo
28th Jan 2015, 10:45
666th post.
come on ray. you gone real quiet for someone so angry a few posts back. You have met my wife, you should introduce your wife to me so we can compare notes.

cessna95
29th Jan 2015, 00:34
what about the ATR expats?? are they flying non stop as well?

On speed on profile
2nd Feb 2015, 09:12
Can anyone here tell me how the NZ IRD view the salary in terms of the tax they want to take. I know there is a bit to pay but am concerned the whole 14500k is taxable.

I know there is dual tax agreement and Rishworth say the salary is paid net of Fijian tax but I'm not entirely sure that means you pay Fijian tax, rather that it is paid tax free to a non resident worker.

Anyone commuting from NZ I would greatly appreciate knowing how it works in reality. For the Oz guys I know it's different as your tax status is viewed quite differently to NZ.

silverhawk
3rd Feb 2015, 15:24
Not gone quiet, been quite busy actually.

My best again to your wife. No idea who you are and do not particularly care.

Aeolus2000BC
4th Feb 2015, 05:30
Gents/Ladies (but you will NOT be employed ?)

Its rather simple- ask yourself -- WHY have so many Local Fijians left the 'job in paradise'??
- Roster ?
- Mgt/Employee relations ??
- Money ??
- Back stabbing atmosphere between pilot groups ???

Contractors:
- YOU WILL get
-- All the BOC flts (thats what happened 10yrs ago)
-- Minimal (if any) Night stops in HNL - thats if they still do but with no YVR flts this may be a Hvy crew return ie. 2x 6:30 sectors !!!!!!!!!!!
-- after a few months you too will be updating your CV and arranging interviews.

CIAO.
P.S. I went for an interview but after a 'Pork Chop' at the bar and breakfast with contractors at the Tanoa, 'Paradise' was not looking so glorious.

troppo
7th Feb 2015, 07:27
No idea who you are and do not particularly care.
good. ultimately it cost you your job.
one more to follow...fit and proper?

silverhawk
7th Feb 2015, 09:05
The change in the rostering policy meant, like many others, I could no longer stay working there. I could not go home. So I gave them the chance to reinstate the previous policy or I would engineer it so they would have to get rid of me.

Fortunately I have a proper EASA ATPL and a FAA one. I have worked all over the planet and have lots of experience. I am guessing you have just a Fiji licence, have only worked in that little cocoon environment and would flounder out there in the real flying world.

silverhawk
13th Feb 2015, 04:58
Hi Troppo

Just to bring this back to the top, there is another distinction between you and I. I do not hide behind a username. You are just petty and cowardly. Seems you have all the attributes to be in FJ management. Good luck with the upcoming audit.

Ray.

STOCKMAN
13th Feb 2015, 05:17
Hey folks
Quick question for the 737 fleet.
How's the new roster coming along. Any chances that management is rethinking their situation.
I believe lots of new class dates next 2 months. So a lot of new faces. Which really does not bode well ....
Where all are the layovers and for how long ( just minimal rest or more)
Thanks all

troppo
13th Feb 2015, 07:31
Just to bring this back to the top, there is another distinction between you and I. I do not hide behind a username. You are just petty and cowardly. Seems you have all the attributes to be in FJ management. Good luck with the upcoming audit.

not even close. remember the tanoa :E

macdonaldjames93
27th Feb 2015, 22:40
Hi Folks

I read all the negative side to this mob anything positive about FJ .......im kinda interested in flying in the part of the world.
pls advise

silverhawk
1st Mar 2015, 09:16
There are many positives. It depends on your personal circumstances. I've spoken with many about the pros and cons over the past few weeks by pm initially.

Aloha_KSA
22nd Mar 2015, 15:16
If you are willing to move to Fiji and live there indefinitely with no set date to go back to whatever country you hail from, and if you are just looking for a short-term position with the possibility of being rendered redundant at any time, and if you don't mind being paid in NZ dollars, then, it's a fun job, with decent destinations. It is NOT a commuting job. Most of the layovers are min-rest. They are actively localizing. Many new local captains moving immediately to instructor positions with "waivers" of the company's own experience requirements.

Fijians are extremely gregarious people, the climate is nice, but the nearest white sand beach is about an hour away from base. The crew hotel is about 20 years in need of a renovation, and most of the ex-pat pilots you will end up hanging out with until you move out of the hotel are whiney no-lifers who sit around the bar bitching about work all day.

On the other hand, if you move to Fiji with a partner/ spouse, spend your time off visiting the local destinations and getting to know the local culture and activities, it could be a fun one to two year adventure.

They absolutely, unequivocally do NOT upgrade foreign FOs, so don't let anyone fool you into thinking that is going to happen.

silverhawk
24th Mar 2015, 06:17
CAAFI now have my overview of FJ.

PM me for a version by email.

No mention yet of the bullying of JC nor the vagaries of FJ managers.

CAAFI first, CASA/Qantas next, then ICAO. Really should have paid my passage home plus the 90 days notice.

Ozdork
27th Apr 2015, 02:44
It seems that your most recent post has been removed Ray. Was it a retraction by you, of was it PpPrune Towers censoring your activity?:mad:

WJAPilot
22nd May 2015, 10:21
I C that they have now advertised a return to the 20/10 roster choices - can anyone comment or PM me

To discuss the current environment rosters or conditions now as of May - I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate the insight.

Best regards

WJP

silverhawk
26th May 2015, 10:56
Ozdork, it was removed by me.

MASTEMA
29th May 2015, 18:41
Whenever I need a good chuckle or a pick me up, I just come here :ok:

More cheeeeese Gromit?

The Nemesis
30th May 2015, 08:16
I guess flying with our Chinese cousins you would need a pick me up !!

MASTEMA
1st Jun 2015, 06:25
I see that your Chinese cousins will be down there on a RPT basis soon.

silverhawk
1st Jun 2015, 16:07
Well someone has to move the freight to and from Fiji. Since the 74s were replaced by 33-200 ( get rich quick scheme for someone), NZ take the freight to NZ, FJ cannot take it to Hong Kong. It has to move somehow.

Another national airline about to be shut down due to incompetent management and politicians.

I suggest any of the good locals start proceedings to obtain a proper ATPL for employment elsewhere soon. The Fiji ATPL is not recognised in many regions. That is no slur on Jim. He was a bastion of strength in a pathetic, weak organisation.

skywagondriver
1st Jun 2015, 19:36
Are you saying that Jim the FOI has left? - if so that is very bad news.

silverhawk
4th Jun 2015, 02:42
Afraid so. He left in early 2014(?) after the idiot chief of the village thought that he was important enough to change the rules on a whim and fly 2 crew NAN - LAX.

Josh was grounded but political pressure reinstated him.

Guess who Jim's replacement is related to?

Ozdork
4th Jun 2015, 05:08
Any truth to the rumour that Jim went to PNG?

silverhawk
4th Jun 2015, 14:48
I believe he did. Not there now though, or so I believe.

I wonder what it would take for FJ to begin a legal action against me?

JC, JT, Malakai, SFW, DG, AK, all incompetent. None able to obtain nor retain a licence.

As you may perceive, I do not take kindly to being dicked over. I will have satisfaction.

Killer Loop
4th Jun 2015, 21:43
Jim's still there (PNG). Had him on board last tour while he observed a base check.

Ozdork
9th Jun 2015, 00:31
Didn't know DG ever flew? Otherwise, I agree with you completely.

silverhawk
14th Jun 2015, 18:45
Welcome to a new week. This will be interesting. My terms are clear. My intentions more so.

Shortly Fiji and NZ open for business. My patience ran out a wee while ago. I wonder if they prefer to flee or fight?

I suspect the arrogant FJ management ( all grounded and failed pilots) would think they want to fight. The agency, I suspect would prefer to extricate themselves from this situation.

Whichever they decide to do works for me. I'm not going away until I have satisfaction.

Olive61
27th Jun 2015, 03:19
Silverhawk and Ozdork ............... please be careful. There are two DGs. One who never flew, and one who always has. Without further comment, I would hate the one to be confused with the other. Cheers. :):)

zac21
27th Jun 2015, 09:23
http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/559044-air-mauritius-ceo-andre-viljoen-missing.html

:=:=:=

silverhawk
27th Jun 2015, 11:57
I was referring to Killick's boss. Strictly an office drone. Talk about the blind leading the deaf.

Ozdork
29th Jun 2015, 02:25
Is Killick still there? Thought he got the boot.

silverhawk
30th Jun 2015, 17:14
Not sure.
If he has gone, good. He was in over his head with AIMS and the politics.

He was only a symptom. The root cause is Josh, Jone, Frank, Mallakai, Sharon and all their ilk. They are who I am targeting.

The leeches who oversee this and do nothing in the background are also in my sights.

The opportunity to buy me off and shut me up expired over a week ago. The die are cast. This will have repercussions in Fijii's democratic (ha ha) process.

I am about to tip over a much larger player in Europe. What makes these village boys believe they are immune from being exposed?
Arrogance I guess.

silverhawk
30th Jun 2015, 19:13
I wonder if Killick would like to testify as to his incompetence and to the widespread nepotism and corruption?

silverhawk
30th Jun 2015, 19:27
Why don't FJ take me to court?

Any jurisdiction, come on please.

silverhawk
30th Jun 2015, 19:30
If I commence proceedings, which I shall, you will have no need for A330 nor B73

silverhawk
30th Jun 2015, 19:49
Hate bullies, always have. Josh is a bully, so is Frank. Did Frank not soil his trousers.

Shall we continue?

Mach E Avelli
30th Jun 2015, 21:14
Ray/Silverhawk, whatever you were on last night when you made those posts, for your own sake, give it up!
There are quicker and less expensive ways to self harm.

TrailBoss
30th Jun 2015, 22:57
Good advice Mach E :ok:

silverhawk
1st Jul 2015, 04:16
I did not pick this fight, but I will not shy away from it. Your concern is probably well meant, but misplaced.

Olive61
1st Jul 2015, 21:00
It is good advice Silverhawk !!!! Whilst you may not have 'picked this fight' you deliberately engineered your instant dismissal - you said as much on the morning after.

silverhawk
1st Jul 2015, 22:22
Of course I did. They breached the contract by removing the commuting option.
I told FJ management of my intentions in advance if they failed to reinstate that option.

After the event they reverted to their normal cowardly behaviour. They cost me time and money. They have chosen to decline reimbursing me for that loss. Now the costs to them will be far greater.

silverhawk
1st Jul 2015, 23:47
Olive, you were probably in receipt of the email I sent to the whole pilot workforce that highlighted the weaknesses in FJ management pilots' that encouraged them to release me immediately.

I can reproduce that email here if you need a reminder as to the course of events.

As I say, the die are cast already. The programmes we make are broadcast globally and oft repeated on networks such as National Geographic and Discovery.

Big fish in small ponds make easy targets.

framer
2nd Jul 2015, 06:34
I'd like it if you reproduced the email here.
I'm not involved in FJ in any way but I find this discussion interesting and I like the idea of one guy with nothing to lose taking down an executive team....it reminds me of Diehard the movie :)

Olive61
2nd Jul 2015, 07:28
Silverhawk,

Yes I was aware of the email as I was one of your many addressees. I don’t need any reminders as my recall is more than clear, and I can read your email anytime as it is still in my inbox.

Can I suggest that the reason FJ don’t respond to your taunts on this or other public forums may well be:

(a) They don’t have to. You were employed by an external agency, not FJ.
(b) I’m not aware of any airline management that conducts business by responding through Pprune to threats and posts of this nature.
(c) You are gone.
(d) They are busy with other matters and can’t be bothered, or
(e) All of the above

Chill out and take a good rest. As I said previously – Good Luck

silverhawk
4th Jul 2015, 00:43
Dear Olive

Perhaps all of your points may seem valid to you.

More important to me is the is the safety of FJ's passengers. The management there are incompetent. The authority is intimidated by political, cultural and tribal issues.

Worse still is that First World agencies endorse these practices for financial gain.

In a civilised country, MG would be in prison for his crime with the A330. In Fiji he is given a position in the office.

That I am not in Fiji does not mean I am 'gone'

I understand that Api is again being considered for upgrade!!!! The nepotism seems to have no limits.
Enjoy the repercussions. Cheers.

jasper one
4th Jul 2015, 09:56
Silver Hawk, you really are such a bore. Who cares about your problems. You are not worth Fiji Aiways even wasting time with you.

troppo
5th Jul 2015, 02:32
How's the family? Any skeletons in the closet? Put your money where your mouth is...or was

silverhawk
5th Jul 2015, 15:27
Already done. The wheels were set in motion weeks ago.

I don't hide my identity. I don't bluff. Neither do I cower.

I was perfectly open with all the parties involved as to what my demands were and also to my intentions should they choose to fail to reimburse me. We are way beyond that.

Go right ahead and continue to believe that this regime in Fiji is untouchable.

silverhawk
25th Jul 2015, 20:00
To my many expat friends there,
I know you are all competent and able to find employment elsewhere. This is why I have no regrets about dishing the dirt on the whole set up there in Fiji regarding employment visas and such like.

You may feel comfortable there just now. As FOs you are stagnating your career. No command prospects ever and, let's face it, piss easy flying.

Anyone wants to do a piece to camera, let me know. Probably be in NZ.

silverhawk
29th Jul 2015, 22:31
No wonder Josh Cavalevu changed his number, the truth tends to hurt imposters.

Simple days
30th Aug 2015, 11:41
Hi,

Can anyone help me with the type/examples of interview questions they ask for the 800 fleet please ?

chiieeck
3rd Sep 2015, 19:13
you're a drunk. Everyone knew that when you were in FJ. Thats the ray everyone should know about. you're probably in a bar somewhere right now drowning yourself. yeah ray.....blame everyone but yourself......:ok:. we get it, easy way out!!

what happened at the job you got right after FJ?.....hmmmm..... it was their fault too was it??....Adios MF!!

silverhawk
4th Sep 2015, 08:33
Work is work, play is play. I'm lucky enough to know how to enjoy both.

I imagine you are referring to Thai Lion? Well they changed the deal, would not pay for accommodation, refused to let us view the contract, could not provide a date for going onto the payroll and were being investigated by DGCA and ICAO. So I left with immediate effect, similar to FJ, so I could take up one of my other options. Thai Lion DFO and his sidekick were removed only a few days later. Trying to get rich quick at the expense of the expats. Sound familiar?

JoeMcGrath
9th Sep 2015, 07:11
Feel your pain,If your not with a major airline then your most likely flying for an airline that is ****. The names and faces change but,in the end their all the same around the world. My two cents worth. Good luck!

silverhawk
9th Sep 2015, 14:02
Oh dear.
You're, not your, there're ,not their.
I sometimes despair about the professionalism in our industry. Simple English.

Perhaps some of you should ask Anthony and Satpreet about my recent email concerning training, training standards and management qualifications.

You had the chance to adopt First World standards whilst you had the opportunity. Instead village philosophy prevailed throughout the introduction of the A330-200 (wrong choice, I wonder why Phflieger).

silverhawk
9th Sep 2015, 14:31
I'm in no pain. As always, I have a great contract. I wouldn't sign anything less. Why would one?

troppo
10th Sep 2015, 08:39
I'm in no pain. As always, I have a great contract. I wouldn't sign anything less. Why would one?
So why did you come to fiji? Chase pussy?

falcon27
13th Sep 2015, 03:56
Hello
Are there any expat captains currently working at Fiji Airways ? Does the 20/10 work and can one combine a few days of the annual leave. Would appreciate if one of you could PM me and i can have a chat.
Cheers

oicur12.again
14th Sep 2015, 03:12
"you're a drunk"

I resemble that occifer.

Everyone was a drunk when I was in FJ. Me included.

silverhawk
14th Sep 2015, 12:50
We did know how to enjoy our time off. I really miss the friends and the whole experience.

ACEELA
29th Sep 2015, 15:11
For those of you thinking of the idyllic life, drinking Fiji bitter on the beach and dipping your toes in the warm Pacific Ocean interspersed with the occasional trip to replenish your dwindling duty free supplies, a grim reality check is needed. You are on you final warning before you get here and the ice is very thin. Do not be fooled by the fake smile and warm welcome, these guys do not want you here. They would prefer to upgrade their local first and second officers who can barely spell aeroplane least of all fly one. And of course expect that wonderful 10 days at home roster pattern to change at a moments notice to something far less cordial. Go by all means if you have no where else, but remember to start the application process elsewhere immediately.

Aeolus2000BC
1st Oct 2015, 21:00
that the flight deck atmosphere and pilot/management relationship is not exactly a happy scene. TEM in this case appears to be keep your mouth shut or get the sack. Not exactly a flight safety ideal?

What are you all complaining about
- 10 yrs ago (when the now A330 Fleet Capt was the union secretary) it was the same

Thats why all us locals 'flew the cuckoos nest'

It will always be the same backstabbing, lies lies lies environment.

Sadly- its just ingrained in Fijian culture. Thats why we departed so we would not be tarred with the same nepotistical brush.
:\

Trevor the lover
3rd Oct 2015, 21:19
Sh!t Hawkey

If YOU'RE going to trash someone about THEIR use of simple English, I strongly suggest you get it right yourself.

"Oh dear.
You're, not your, there're ,not their.
I sometimes despair about the professionalism in our industry. Simple English."

Its actually they're.

silverhawk
5th Oct 2015, 08:18
Trevor the Loser

You are correct of course. I stand corrected and thank you for your keen observations.

None of which improves the quality of FJ management nor the abilities of the junta in authority positions.

Bula vinaka.

Trevor the lover
14th Oct 2015, 20:32
ha ha Hawkey

you cut me up. Have a read back through this thread and tell me who the Loser really is. It isn't me mate!

NoN1
11th Nov 2015, 03:00
Hi, where have all the NG guys gone? Why are they so short on that fleet? I'd love a PM from someone for a brief convo...
Thanks

Capn Rex Havoc
11th Nov 2015, 03:56
Hey Trevor-Its actually they're.

It's it's, with an apostrophe not its. :E

jasper one
29th Nov 2015, 23:13
Hey Silverhawk. You've been quiet lately !
Has Josh got your tongue ? You are such a loser.

falcon27
14th Dec 2015, 13:46
Hello jasper one. I would appreciate if I can get in touch with you and get some info on Fiji.
Regards.

silverhawk
16th Dec 2015, 23:04
You are one to behold really.

Josh has no influence over me, never did have. He is am imbecile promoted above his ability. There is a phrase for that, it is called the 'Peter Principle', common amongst operations that have large nepotistic tendencies.

Glad you asked about my tongue though. It has been firmly wedged into the ears of several individuals and authorities ever since that lovely day out at CXI recently.

There is no doubt that the FJ operation will be improved in the future, proper management, less government influence and global standards as opposed to 'local standards'.

In the meantime I am dealing with a bigger, wealthier and more insidious danger to global aviation than FJ, but rest assured I will be able to focus on the Nadi corruption in due time.

All the best, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.

troppo
16th Dec 2015, 23:49
Slow learner...to be honest I'm surprised you didn't fit in

level_change
21st Dec 2015, 10:51
Besides all the bashing going on over here - is there anyone who could provide me with a sample roster of a typical month for FO on the 73? .

How is the atmosphere in the flightdeck? Any anti expats behaviour ?

Im considering this as a temporary position with not very high expectations. I wish to take my girlfriend as well ...

best regards

silverhawk
22nd Dec 2015, 13:26
LC
The flying is easy, weather is benign, the colleagues are mostly delightful. The equipment is fine. CAAFI standards declined with the enforced departure of the previous Chief Inspector.
Only flew about 600 hours per year. Layovers were a pleasure.
Crew food was awful though. Carrot sandwich, honestly!
No anti expat behaviour, quite the opposite. Despite what is on here, I really enjoyed my time there.

The only problem that exists is the simpletons in charge. Rostering buffoon and village chief ( can't call him a pilot as he is grounded), both out of their depth.

For a short term placement with no possibility of upgrade, it is hard to beat. Since I left I have directed a few friends towards Fiji, with a proper briefing of course.

alpine blue
14th Jan 2016, 20:59
Does anyone know what happened to the Check and Training Captain who left to sell sandwiches and became a billionaire.

silverhawk
19th Jan 2016, 17:57
What would you like to know?

Josh has a licence? JT, Malakai, Sharon F-W, come on, those guys are all failed by CAAFI

Jetjockey145
6th Feb 2016, 01:18
Well, FJ are still advertising.

I'm looking at applying to them at the moment. It's either that or apply to Blue Air for a Cyprus or Italy base (a bit closer to the UK).

Can anyone advise on the pros and cons of joining the B737 fleet at FJ?

Where does one pay tax and how much?

Regards. :)

alpine blue
9th Feb 2016, 20:59
Does anyone know what happened to the check and training captain, wait for it the Check and wait for it training captain. Thats right they trained and checked their pilots. Anyway this check and training captain left air pac to sell sandwiches and became the sandwich baron millionaire.

Last I heard he was a freight dog on some second rate airline, may be his sandwich didn't taste too good just like his mate who sold cold coffee.

Well if they couldn't cook at least they were good operators. Thats what they always say they were good operators of the airplane. They were good at operating the flush on the toilet of the aircraft.

Emma Ritz
4th Mar 2016, 01:02
Good afternoon everybody

I'm trying to find some information from expat contract FJ pilots with regard to the tax situation, particularly as it applies to Australia / NZ base. The information from the agencies is a bit unclear.

I understand the salary quoted is "tax paid" in Fiji, but is it possible to get any paperwork from the company or the Fiji tax authority to that effect? Has anyone working for FJ been assessed by the tax man in NZ or Australia, and if so what was the outcome?

Thanks for your help

E.R.

greencoconut
22nd Mar 2016, 01:27
Relevant info: Double Taxation Agreements | Fiji Revenue & Customs Authority (http://www.frca.org.fj/double-taxation-agreements/)

atlas12
20th Apr 2016, 09:39
Are these guys upgrading to the left seat now?

atlas12
11th May 2016, 06:12
I am very seriously considering this job to get more time at home.... is it a regular occurrence to not get 10 block days off at home base? The contract says 20/10 "subject to operational requirements", so basically they can do whatever the hell they like? I have read the entire thread, has anything changed in the last 12 months? cheers

shoreline
23rd May 2016, 22:02
Hi

Interested in working for FJ 737 fleet. Anyone currently working there with some honest opinions please PM me

Aloha_KSA
11th Aug 2016, 11:08
Look, folks, this is a small airline. 5 737s and 4 A330s on the jet side. There are 3 ATRs and 3 Twin Otters on the FJ Link side. Not a major carrier. So of course things are not going to be like working for a unionized major. That being said, it's a very nice place to work. I have never not received a paycheck or my allowances. FJ operates to ICAO/ IATA standards as well as FAA, CASA, CAA, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. We fly to some pretty nice places. For tax, well, that depends on your contract. If you get hired with IAC - which I recommend - you'll be paid in NZD by an Aussie company. Can't speak for the other contract companies. If you're Yank, Aussie or Kiwi, I think you're responsible for tax in your country. There are some direct hire pilots who must pay tax in Fiji. The company has been good about honoring 10 days off per month, per the contract, but every now and then, to keep the planes flying we have to give up some days off. Any days worked over 20 get paid at OT rate. Fair enough. If you live in Europe or South Africa or Brazil and think you're going to commute, I suggest you pull out a globe and a piece of string and measure how many time zones you'll be crossing, and then think again. Even mainland US and Canadian pilots. It's 11 hours from LAX. And you leave on Thursday to get here Saturday, so you lose 2 days, really... Small airline. They cannot guarantee biz class like KAL or CS or whomever. THINK LONG AND HARD ABOUT THE COMMUTE. IT IS NOT FUN. That being said, this is a good gig for Kiwis and Aussies especially if you are based in Sydney or Brisbane. Great for people who don't want to commute every month. Come explore the pacific. Bring your partner. Partner not willing to move?? There's your answer... Many have come to Fiji and used their 10 days off to explore Fiji, Oceania, and Australasia, and have had amazing experiences here. For everyone else, this is FIJI not Dubai. Please don't come here from half way around the world and then complain about the commute. Or the lack of nightlife/ shopping/ whatever. In fact, wherever you are thinking of going, be it Istanbul, Ethiopia, Shanghai, or Nadi... I STRONGLY recommend that you go spend at least a week there before you accept the job. After all, there's probably a reason that "Lucky" air pays $300K/ year...

Aloha_KSA
11th Aug 2016, 11:30
Regarding upgrades: Fiji Airways does not upgrade expats. Whatever contract you are hired on you shall remain on. EOS. Do not let anyone convince you otherwise. If you are a captain you might be selected as an instructor or checker. That happens, for those with qualifications and experience. Longreach seems to be telling their contractees that they might get upgraded. The folks that I met at Longreach seemed pretty straight up, so I cannot fathom why they would lie like that. It really wrecked their credibility with me. Either they have bad information or they are fishing. Either way, it is irresponsible for them to announce something like that that is patently untrue. Could upgrades happen in the future? Yes. Could you win the lottery. Yes. Is that likely? No. To apply history as a guide: the last expat who was upgraded was almost two decades ago.

Ollie Onion
15th Aug 2016, 02:36
I was chatting to a mate there last week who has been rostered an upgrade to Captain on the 330 next month. So maybe the upgrade is possible..... although he did say he would believe it epwhen it actually happens as he has been promised for at least 18 months now that it would be soon. This is the first time some training has been 'rostered' though, so you never know.

greencoconut
21st Oct 2016, 03:28
There's an expat Kiwi who's been with FJ for a couple of years and is supposedly getting an upgrade to left seat on the 737 soon.

I agree it's not the norm though, and should not be expected.

Dixons Cider
19th Nov 2016, 06:29
I see this thread has gone a bit quiet last few months. Some good info here though, so thanks all.

I'm thinking of Fiji as a possible option. What I would be ideal for me however is to bring my wife there, and not always commute back on the days off. Stay and enjoy the area as Aloha suggests in his post above.

I was under the impression on the commuting contract this wasn't possible, as I'm essentially mixing the best of the commuting contract and the direct hire contract. Is that right?

Can you take the missus with you on the commuting contract. Can you stay on the off block?

Just some quick background. I'm a skipper so upgrade is not an issue. I've been expat for 17 odd years and this would be a means to get back closer to home.
Cheers to anybody that offers some insight

Aloha_KSA
24th Jan 2017, 01:05
Dixons, there are a few pilots who bring their spouses. You may stay in Fiji on your days off. Fiji has pretty good staff travel (ID90/ Zed) after 6 months for you and family. You'll do quite a few overnights, so you'll be leaving your spouse in Fiji, so good to be in Denarau or Wailoaloa. Rents in Denarau are very expensive, though, so you'll probably end up sharing a house. Plan on $2500 FJD / mo. for an air conditioned flat or ensuite in a house. Most who have done this have found that after a year or so the spouse gets bored and leaves.

josephfeatherweight
24th Jan 2017, 02:59
after a year or so the spouse gets bored and leaves.
Sign me up!

Dixons Cider
26th Feb 2017, 09:02
Thanks Aloha
Joseph :O

v1rotate
28th Feb 2017, 07:08
Anyone starting on the 738 fleet on 4th June 2017?

sewerpiper
12th Mar 2017, 00:40
Does anyone have an example of what an average A330 FO roster might look like?

MKJ
12th Mar 2017, 08:54
Hi Aloha,
I've sent you a PM

NITS Pilot
12th Apr 2017, 05:32
Can you describe the assessment at FiJi?
I just applied trough IAC.

NITS Pilot
14th Apr 2017, 08:14
Thank you. Helped a lot

Sfopilot207
17th Apr 2017, 01:19
Just wondering if FJ will hire an A320 pilot for the A330 FO position. I have an FAA ATPL with 1000 hrs on the A320. I was originally born in Fiji, but mived to the US when I was quite small. Would love to fly for the home town airline , also since they announced the year round SFO route!

The Nemesis
17th Apr 2017, 06:08
Catch 22 SFOpilot207. You probably would not get in as an "expat" F/O, which would give you an SFO base, but you would probably get in as a "local" F/O with a requirement of a Nadi base.

Broomstick Flier
21st Apr 2017, 23:33
Quick question,

Is there any chance they will consider someone not rated on the B737NG, but on the B767 (2500+ hours)?

Thanks! :ok:

The Nemesis
22nd Apr 2017, 11:02
There's always a chance. Just make sure you pass the company psych test before you put you hand in your pocket.

737skipper
4th May 2017, 15:25
Hi, i has anyone information about the Fiji Medical ? Is it like the EASA medical or kind of a chinese medical?

loulouteuh
10th May 2017, 13:29
Can you describe the assessment at FiJi?
I just applied trough IAC.

I'm also interested. Any answer? :)

now gone
21st May 2017, 08:42
I would not take IAC. There are better ones on the market that cover Fiji Airways. All others give you more money at the end of the month and better conditions such as LoL and other things

bringbackthe80s
26th Jun 2017, 13:34
Which agency would be better for a European?

How is roster/life on the 330 these days?

now gone
30th Jun 2017, 01:04
Which agency would be better for a European?

How is roster/life on the 330 these days?

Flying on the A330 is relaxed. One could say it “Bringsback the 80s” in some ways.
There are 4 Agenesis that are accepted by Fiji Airways. They are: IAC, RAL, Spectrum and LongReach. If you ask me, I would have a close look at LongReach. They provide you with an up to date contract. The pay is more then with the others and they also give you a few goodies such as LoL, Medical etc. Anybody signing up with any Agent, be aware of the 12 month clause prohibiting you from changing Agent and flying with the same airline. I know that clause is negotiable with LongReach but definitely not with IAC. It definitely pays to look at the contracts in detail before signing up

rowdy trousers
3rd Aug 2017, 01:25
Wondering if someone could advise whether the A330 crews do Sydney overnights?
Thanks

The Nemesis
3rd Aug 2017, 16:54
No Sydney overnights on the A330 I'm afraid.

Breakthesilence
18th Oct 2017, 18:39
I've recently had a call with Spectrum and considering leaving Europe for this temporary experience in Fiji as a B737 Captain.

I understood we (the crew) can stay there without limits while our girlfriends (I think is the same if you are married) have to leave after 4-6 months due to Visitors permits.

What I'm interested in is to know how's living there every day, dealing with locals etc. I'm thinking of going there on holiday in few months to have a look but any information you could give is really appreciated.

Many thanks

BTS

now gone
20th Oct 2017, 09:57
Check out Page 11 on this Thread. It gives you a good idea. Your partner has to leave Fiji every 4 months on a normal tourist Visa. It gets boaring for your partner. Living at the Tanoa is no option with Partner. You would need an Appartment and that will cost you anything above FJ$5000 a month. Possibly share one in Denarau Island.

troppo
20th Oct 2017, 10:53
Standard four month visitor visa upon arrival. Can be extended another two months while here. Then leave and reenter.
Do not overstay a single day or you get a 12 month ban.
Spouse visa different, still can't work...and they will get bored.
If you think Fiji is an idyllic, picture postcard place to live and work you stand to be disappointed.
Entertainment is limited unless you want to drink. The novelty of cocktails on the beach at sunset will soon wear off.
Cost of living has increased, but the economy is booming.
You can now get good quality/expatriate food lines which were scarce 10 years ago.
Cinema is cheap and we get most movies before US wide screen release.
Locals will challenge every moral that you ever learnt. Consider it a second education :}
Infrastructure especially roads have improved out of sight.
When you hear someone call you 'gora' behind your back, it means they love you in their own special way :}:}
Fishing is ****. Try PNG if you're an angler.
FJ is making money, aircraft on order and as a whole fairly new fleet. It wouldn't surprise me if the fourth A330 is coming, with Singapore and San Francisco added and talk of a mainland China destination, the current three are working hard

Breakthesilence
20th Oct 2017, 13:00
Thank you Troppo ;)

Do you know if it's easy to find a job from here for girlfriend? I mean, as it's illegal to look for a job while staying there, all we can do is looking on the web now and build some ideas.
She doesn't want to live there without working.

mostlytossas
24th Nov 2017, 01:59
Have noticed Fiji airways direct flights to Adelaide appear to be Mondays only of late. Anyone know if this is a permanent thing and why? Suspect low loads. But may be other reason.

XPT
28th Nov 2017, 03:35
Don't you mean 5th A330 ? they already have 3 x A332's & 1 x A333 if not mistaken.

troppo
6th Dec 2017, 06:18
Don't you mean 5th A330 ? they already have 3 x A332's & 1 x A333 if not mistaken.
Typo but here's the announcement.
Fijivillage | Fiji's Latest News and Sports website (http://fijivillage.com/news-feature/Fiji-Airways-to-get-5th-A330-200-aircraft-and-will-start-flying-to-Tokyo-next-year-rk529s/)

XPT
10th Dec 2017, 22:05
so now or at least from JULY they'll have 4 x A332s & 1 x A333. Restarting NRT 3 days a week. No announcement about where to other 3-4 days a week. + 2 sims. They will need a lot more crew.

bringbackthe80s
12th Dec 2017, 14:27
Is there any chance to be called for a 320 capt. with no right to live in any of the countries mentioned by the agencies? Is there any history of this?
Thanks

Loud Handle
12th Dec 2017, 15:40
Apologies for stepping on your post BBT80’s but I have a question as well.

Surely it’s a false economy paying the Fijian national pilots considerably less than expat pilots? If FJ paid their own the same as they pay expats they would attract, in droves their countrymen back from all corners, negating the need for expats and therefore having a truely national airline.

In PNG alone there must be 25-30 Fijians operating everything from Otters to Boeings but there’s no incentive for them to return home. For example a (Fijian) Otter captain in PNG earns roughly the same if not more (working only six months a year) than a B738 FO in Fiji if he/she was to return home.......more for a PNG based Fijian B738 FO. Surely it would be a win win (no tickets home/accommodation allowances/visa expenses plus Nationals flying the national airline etc etc) for FJ if they hired their own on an increased salary from what is presently being offered?

Also why is FJ continually recruiting expats for the B738 (and other fleets) through agencies when they have such a small fleet? Is the turn over that high? And if so why?

Thank you.

Apologies if I have missed something and apologies again to BBT80’s. 😀

captjns
17th Dec 2017, 13:44
Why pay the locals expat rates when they can get the locals for far less?
They wont do that.... they are too stupid. I know both expat and local guys on the Jet here... its a business and in Fiji, companies pay the local workforce less because they can, because the locals take the job at the rate in which they offer. They lose pilots to asia and especially the middle east.

I would expect a more respectful comment than a denigrating “they are too stupid” remark. Expats are given 10 days off. Sometimes an expat may have only 7 days at home due to the long distance from Euroalnd or the U.S. Fijians have more days at home to peruse othe careers on their days off.

With the management shift at the company, it has become more palatable for the expats. Yes, like any other carrier, there’s a few “local check airmen” with chips on their shoulders.

They hire 200hour CPLs straight to the a330 here as Jet S/os... the unlucky ones get the otter.. the rest (most) get shown the door and stay jobless or work as instructors.

On the contrary.... The 200 hr CPL getting to fly the DH-6 is far luckier than being a Relief First Officer on the A-330. Think of the skills gained with hands on flying versus staring at the instruments, making notations on the OPF, and the once every 3 one 4 hour CPDLC and SELCAL check on the HF.

captainpluto
18th Jan 2018, 12:28
Hello,

Any idea about the latest hiring without a PR and base in LAX, NZ, AUSSIE. How does that work? And can the spouse stay along in any of the base? If anyone can then request to mention the pro's and con's of this company. Regards

Willing to Fly
18th Jan 2018, 23:14
I'm also looking at these guys. They seem to have a few ads up looking for crew.

What does a typical 737 roster look like here? I assume overnights must be in Australia and New Zealand.

I'm aware that they don't upgrade. Do they allow transfers between the 737 and the 330?

The Nemesis
19th Jan 2018, 03:16
Hello,

Any idea about the latest hiring without a PR and base in LAX, NZ, AUSSIE. How does that work? And can the spouse stay along in any of the base? If anyone can then request to mention the pro's and con's of this company. Regards

If you do not have a PR in any of those countries, that's the drop-off point for you to head home. ( at your own expense )

eersfanpilot
23rd Jan 2018, 05:57
Does anyone currently fly for Fiji and live in SoCal? Can you please PM me if so? I'd like to learn more about QOL from the LAX base.

Thanks

artlite
8th Jul 2018, 13:30
Anyone can share some insights regarding Fiji Airways?

brmx
10th Aug 2018, 10:05
Any expat to share 330 roster to have an idea? Would you recommend it?

true_pilot
13th Nov 2018, 13:17
Dear all flying in Fiji Airlines!

Can you send a ypical schedule on 737? Is it possible to fly from selected Aus or NZ home base, and spend most of the nights at home? Eppreciate any up-to-date info.

xfr
20th May 2022, 11:03
Any updates on Fiji now that they're starting to recruit again?

mauswara
22nd May 2022, 23:40
xfr, I heard FJ only offering Local T & C, no Commuting? Might change, as demand increases?

flyer13
1st Aug 2023, 15:24
Hi all! It seems like they're recruiting again, at least on the A330 (and A350) FOs. Anyone working there that would like to share some info, roster exemple and some insights, what is the full pay at the moment..?
Cheers.