PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a PDA - Read This

Dibble&Grub
30th Apr 2002, 08:48
Hi people,
Just thought I would launch a heads up on the new PDA's out there.

I have been a longtime owner/user/sufferer of an HP Jornada 545. Now this was an early machine I know, but it was a bit like topsy - when it was good etc etc...

My 545 was renamed Lasarus after its' second return to HP for a repair. The first was under warrantee - the second I paid for - mega bucks. Not all the 545's fault - I did drop it!! However it finally expired a few weeks back and no amount of prodding / disassembly / resetting would get it back to life. That's Life.

So I set off on a trail to replace same. Before we go much further I would explain that I mainly use a PDA to access Audio Books (audible.com) when my old eyes are too tired to focus - it works folks - try it. But I find the ability to modify WORD / EXCEL files useful also. CE3.0 was not bad, but 2002 is excellent.

Anyway I eventually, after considering the quality of HP's support service (of which I have intimate knowledge) went with CASIO. Now that's a strange choice on the face of it. But I have a CASIO QV3500 digital camera - and that has been nothing but GOOD, as in EXCELLENT. So I started looking at the Casio PDAs. The BE series was interesting - if only for price. But I eventually went wild and brought an E-200.

Now this is a seriously slick mother. I love the dual MM and CF memory options. I can put programs on one and casual data on the other. The other being CF since I have LOTS of these. It also has a backup battery so when I forget to charge it my data stays intact.

Sure it has no front cover and the supplied case it a bit cheesy (but at least there is a supplied case!). But is mega fast and the software is optimised around having MAIN / CF / MM memory. None of this stupid Storage Card1 / Storage Card2 nonsense - how do you remember ?

Same processor and memory specs as the new HP but a removable battery. How much is this worth?!! My battery went twice on the 545 and I had to pay mega bucks to have it replaced - as it was not sold as an extra - only fitted at service. Prats. 4 screws and you were in. But the Casio has a detachable battery pack $40 - have a nice day. It also has an upgradeable ROM memory (I believe the HP has also) so you don't need to lose main memory (it overwrites) with OS updates.

Anyway - if you are looking at a new PDA - give the Casio E-200 a serious glance...

DG

FL310
30th Apr 2002, 09:59
this is what I call a users feedback. Thank you Dibble, reports and explanations like your one here are too seldom on this board and may certainly give others the kind of idea they are looking for.

P-air
30th Apr 2002, 10:07
Thanks for posting that info FL310

I have an old casio pda Cassiopiea, great little machine but gettin a bit on

Have been looking at the new pda's HP / Toshiba, (even the sony clie - for the memory stick and my sony cams)

The main reason for the upgrade was so that I could keep jpgs on file and playback, and in addition, replace my $2 woolworths special calculator in my pocket with a pda (the cassiopiea was a bit big for the shirt pocket)

But after your post, makes me rethink that mabe casio is a suitable choice.

How well does it playback jpgs, and is it small enough to fit comfortably into a pocket??

spannersatcx
30th Apr 2002, 11:17
I have a HP Jornada 548 and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

For every Bad experience there is a good V.V.;)

Cyclic Hotline
30th Apr 2002, 13:03
PDA Buzz (http://www.pdabuzz.com/)
Excellent site for information on these.

Tinstaafl
30th Apr 2002, 13:42
I'm considering buying a PDA called '@migo' by a USA company 'URThere'

Their PDA is a Win2002 machine with the usual specs ie 206Mhz processor, 32Mb RAM/16 ROM, 64k colour screen etc. They tell me there's an upgraded model on its way with 64 RAM/32 ROM which will bring it into line with the latest models from the competitors. They're not sure when this will be... :(

The main advantage to the @migo is that it has a built-in Type II PC-Card slot. That to me is worth it since it allows the use of more devices. :cool:

Compaq require a separate slip on adapter to use a PC-Card, significantly adding to the bulk.

Currently the price is US$399 for the 32/16 model. Quite cheap since I earn in UK pounds. Still in two minds about whether to buy it now or wait for the 64/32 model. :confused:

BayAreaLondoner
30th Apr 2002, 16:51
My Compaq iPaq (3670 upgraded to PPC2002) is very finnicky about recognising my wireless network card. Strange voodoo must be performed in order to make it work, which is quite worrying.
A PPC-based PDA that has me excited is the Fujitsu-Siemens LOOX, which is supposed due out in June. It uses the new generation of ARM processors (xScale), which means it is faster. It also has lots of expansion built-in without adding to its bulk. The expected price is also attractive. Time will tell how of all this is hype!