PDA

View Full Version : Inadvertant release

chopper1960
10th Jun 2013, 20:20
I am looking for any info on the possibility of E.M.I. (electromagnetic interferance) or R.F.I.(radio frequency interferance).
I recently lost a 95 foot composite hydro pole off my remote hook?
The helicopter (AS350 B3) has been sent back to ECC to check circuits, hook has been sent to mfg. all reports no mechanical issues?
Don't know why just know I didn't hit the button? I had just flown past two microwave towers so that that may have something to do with it?
It seems there are FAA requirements for shielded longlines but no one I have spoken to has a clue as to what I am talking about? (FAA FAR Part 29.865)
looking forward to any and all sugestions :confused::confused:

Pofman
10th Jun 2013, 21:37
Chopper 1690.
The results of EMF are unpredictable and not really understood. When I was in the RN we had all sorts of effects on carriers including rockets fired on the flight deck. A great deal of effort went into sorting the problem but there was always an underlying doubt. In the late eighties I was flying blimps in Toronto close to the CN Tower to film into the adjacent dome. After some time the fuel gauges fell to Zero. As there were no signs of fuel leakage we concluded that the transmitters on the tower were responsible. As the gauges could not be relied on we left early for landing but the gauges took a couple of hours before they were reading accurately again.
Could EMF have caused your release? Undoubtedly, but did it? Your guess is as good as anyone else's but it a possibility. The problem is that everybody will take the easy route and blame it on pilot "finger " trouble.

Thomas coupling
10th Jun 2013, 21:50
Military maritime ops warn against inadvertent firing of winch cartridges, flot gear, undemanded stab release, spiking on HUMS. The list goes on.
EM transmissions definitely have an impact on avionics.

newfieboy
11th Jun 2013, 00:05
I lost a very expensive survey bird years ago. Hook released for no reason so we thought. It was on an L3 Longranger. The operator sitting in the back knew I hadn't had finger trouble but the looks I got when we arrived back at camp told me otherwise. In frustration while laying under machine looking at hook I threw it across the rail. Surprise it hit the stop and released. Umm interesting and replicated it everytime. Bearing in mind the thing departed after the first line flown in the turn. Turns out hook had just been through inspection and engineers change manual release cable. They had got it to short....DOH.
Lost a 2200ib drill motor brand new couple years ago, turns out was a manufacturing problem with lanyard it broke clean in half. A minute later I would of been over the drill pad setting it. Boss wanted to know if motor ok...err from 500ft and 70kts maybe not. Quite the crater in the rocks though and drill motor kinda pancake shape. Note to self after that RPM is life.....lost a few more in 25+ years of longline but hey.... What happens in bush, stays in bush right. Well it was before iPhones iTunes etc.....
Be safe Tis fire season, 25 new starts yesterday in this province.....

Thomas coupling
11th Jun 2013, 09:04
Newfie:And the message to Chopper1960 is???

500e
11th Jun 2013, 09:17
"It seems there are FAA requirements for shielded longlines but no one I have spoken to has a clue as to what I am talking about? (FAA FAR Part 29.865)
looking forward to any and all suggestions http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif"

Screening on line has to be a help, but just a thought bonding load to hook \ line could stop another potential static build up does not have to be a heavy link just enough to bring the load to same potential as line.
Never long lined but had experience with interference on electronic systems.