PDA

View Full Version : Flying Into Ireland (From the UK) Help!!

Matty Cooper
9th Jun 2013, 21:46
Hello,

I am planning this tuesday a flight from the UK (Blackpool to be more specific) to Dublin Weston.

I was wondering as I have never done a flight out of the UK and the information on the internet seems a bit outdated so I don't want to trust it, what must be done to make a flight to Ireland from the UK?

I noticed Weston Airport itself requires a form to be filled out with all the passengers names, addresses, d.o.b's, passport number etc. But apart from that what else has to be done? Flight plan, customs?

Thanks for the help in advance, I only passed my PPL in September so I've not had the experience in crossing borders yet so excuse my lack of knowledge in this area!

cessnapete
9th Jun 2013, 22:14
Flying to Ireland from UK is quite straightforward. You must take advice from the aircraft owners on the paperwork or contact any of the excellent Aeroclubs at Blackpool for the correct procedures.
You need more than a few lines on This Forum to equip you to carry out your first trip safely.

riverrock83
10th Jun 2013, 14:38
I'm no expert, but see Flying Abroad (http://www.aopa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=467&Itemid=453) as a starter.

You will need to file a flight plan and a GAR. You need all the documents listed.

Weston looks like they have their own notification procedures Weston Executive Airport Dublin, Helicopter, Jet Airport Dublin, Ireland, Citywest Hotel (http://www.westonairport.com/member.aspx)
I'd give them a ring ASAP to discuss what you're looking for (and to check with them you haven't missed anything out!

I'd probably also get very familiar with the Visual Approach chart ( http://www.westonairport.com/pdfs/visual_approach_chart.pdf ) and make sure I had up to date Irish maps. I'd also read up on the Irish AIP. You do know that there is not such thing as a "basic service" over there don't you?

Perhaps once you've gone, you could write up the prep you needed to do for others to use / critique?

ma11achy
10th Jun 2013, 15:48
I've flown into Weston many times and while you need to make sure that you're not encroaching on the many restricted areas around there, it's a really great airport to fly into.

Lots of cool aircraft in the hangars to leer at and the cafe upstairs has some decent food with a long bay window looking out over the runway.

The most important thing to watch for in Weston is making sure you don't encroach on the Baldonnel MOA's and RA's. There are a lot around there and subsequently circuit procedures are modified in Weston to avoid this.
Just be clear on your entry and exit procedures and you'll be fine!

Other than that, here's a few pointers:
1) Fill in the GAR form
2) Fly high enough that if the big fan stops, you're glide will take you to land
3) Measure your halfway point, so that if you encounter any issues like having to go to the loo :\ or any other reason, you know which direction is the shorter trip.
4) Bring along either an immersion suit or some life jackets.
5) Enjoy!!

stevelup
10th Jun 2013, 16:45
Flying to Ireland from UK is quite straightforward. You must take advice from the aircraft owners on the paperwork or contact any of the excellent Aeroclubs at Blackpool for the correct procedures.

Why? What if the original poster has his own aircraft, or a share in one and isn't based at any of the Blackpool Aeroclubs. Why specifically would they be able to give better advice than a forum poster here who is familiar with the trip?

You need more than a few lines on This Forum to equip you to carry out your first trip safely.

Well not really! This is a perfectly reasonable way of researching the planning for this trip!

Halfbaked_Boy
10th Jun 2013, 18:19
1) Google 'General Aviation Report Form'. Fill it out, then fax it to both the police force governing the airfield you're taking off from and the one you're landing at.

2) File a flight plan, do it at least 24 hrs before you fly to be safe. If you need any assistance see if you can visit the peeps in the tower at Blackpool, most ATCs are happy to help, usually they can file it for you.

3) Lifejackets, and know how to use 'em.

4) Assume the weather is going to be ok in the days leading up to the trip. On the morning, check weather along route and 100 nm in each direction to get an idea of the general picture.

At the end of the day, all you're doing is the physical act of taking off, flying a certain distance, and landing again. Don't let the paperwork put you off! Over the sea for the first time, you'll be constantly worrying about the prop stopping/failures etc... Try not to overworry, just enjoy the flight !

For the first trip, I'd recommend a GPS as an aid to your other navigation techniques. Anything to reduce your workload is good in this situation.

Have done this journey many times and from many different angles of the UK, no issues thus far!

Oh yeah, don't forget to close your flight plan. If the airfield you're landing at is ATC, ask them if they can close it for you after landing/turning off the runway/changing to ground freq etc. Otherwise there is a phone number somewhere, Google will have it no doubt.

Enjoy :ok:

p.s. Should probably add, this is just my way of doing it. Not necessarily the right way!

kindupnorth
10th Jun 2013, 19:27
I flew from Gamston to Caernarfon - Weston last year with only around 100 hrs total time. Doddle ! Make sure you have your paperwork in order as i made the mistake of deciding to stop over at Caernarfon for a re-fuel prior to departure and didn't change the GAR form, I had put 2 flight plans in, one for each leg. (first one mainly as a test before it really mattered over the Irish sea)

As soon as i landed at Caernafon i was met my a nice chap from special branch wondering why i had a flight plan in to land at Caernafon and no gar form saying i was departing from there (form showed departure airport as gamston)

Checked all our bags and copied our passports, explained the mistake and he was very understanding and happy to let us carry on to dublin. about 1/3rd of the way across the irish sea after i had circled the coast to build altitude (coast out holyhead to avoid the unmanned aircraft testing area) we got handed over to dublin radar who instantly wanted us to descend to 2000ft :ugh:. Down we went. Routed via pidgeonhouse chimneys (big red and white towers) down the river liffey and then onto western.

Go onto westerns website to check the VFR routing and local procedures.
Send them a copy of your GAR form too ! I got a lift into dublin by a local pilot (around 25 euros in a taxi) booked into travel lodge and had a good couple of days!!

Enjoy

Have Fun

dublinpilot
10th Jun 2013, 20:56
I got a lift into dublin by a local pilot
What this 26 August last year? I seem to remember the three guys who I gave a lift to that day were from Gamston.

Have a look here for a guide to flying in Ireland.
Flying In Ireland (http://www.cfarrell.eu/Flying/FII/Flying_in_Ireland.htm)

Form wise you need:

1. GAR to Special Branch and Customs in UK. (There is now an online form on AOPA UK and Android and iOS apps for this).
2. A Flight Plan
3. International Flight Notification (On the Weston website) that needs to go to Weston and Irish Customs.

Please note that the airspace around Dublin over the Irish Sea recently changed. It's not on the current Irish chart (no idea about the CAA chart).

You can see it here at appendix 3
AIC (http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Published%20Files/Circ%20Files/2012/EI_Circ_2012_11_EN.pdf)

Here is the structure
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9714/dublin.png