PDA

View Full Version : from business jet to airlines? advice please

aviatn
9th Jun 2013, 08:49
Several years ago I read threads regarding this very question. Searching for them now didn't get me any results.
Thus my question to you guys and gals.
Would it be a wise career move and how would I best proceed. (which airlines would accept high total time but no Bus or Boeing time type of guys)
The greatest hurdle would be time on type I presume, (a type rating could be acquired easily but I don't favor it!!) though I have close to 1500h jet time on mid size aircraft and more than 5000tt.
How are the airlines viewing business jet pilots?
Your honest advice would truly be appreciated.
Thanks and happy landings

mackey
9th Jun 2013, 09:06
Morning Aviatn,

What is your reason for wanting to leave your current job?

Are you sure that is a good move at the moment?:confused:

I sure any airline would view you as a "non type rated" pilot, so you would end up completing a type conversion once you joined that company.

As for the right way to go about it, you will have to do what every other person is doing, networking etc. Or go to the middle east!

Good luck.

CaptainProp
9th Jun 2013, 09:38
Regardless of your previous experience you would be put in the same "box" as the pay 2 fly, zero to hero, guys and asked to pay a rating and work for "free" for the first god knows how many years. Don't do it.

Have you ever worked 850 - 900 hours per year with an average of 3+ sectors per working day? Done 4-5 consecutive early check-in, 10-12 hour days, 10 days per month? Don't do it.

What type are you on at the moment?

judge11
9th Jun 2013, 10:06
'which airlines would accept high total time but no Bus or Boeing time type of guys'

If you find out, please let us all know. You'll be number 865 in the queue.:ok:

RAFAT
9th Jun 2013, 13:31
aviatn - if you're currently on a CL300-sized aircraft or bigger then I'd stay in the biz jet world, smaller types are not doing well at all in Europe at the moment and of course when it comes to Citations there's an abundance of redundant/furloughed NJE pilots to compete with, so if you're on something like that then a move back to the airlines is wise.

In my experience airlines will look at you exactly the same as any other non-rated pilot, so you stand as good a chance as anybody else. Your own moral compass will determine your willingness to pay for a rating or not, but with your experience let's hope it's the latter.

I moved from the airlines into the biz jet world and it was a huge mistake due to the timing of my move, so now I'm going back.

McMax
9th Jun 2013, 18:46
As already stated... think twice!

I've left bizjet flying for Airline... was a reasonable deal to change a Citation for an Airbus and not paying for TR. Looking back all the time and would love to switch from Airline to a stable (as far as possible :p) GA job...

Captain Prop pointed out, what you'll have to expect!

Stay in bizjet world, if you are on a mid- or large jet. Try to get some kind of a 15/15 roster...

That would be my advise!

All the best!

LW20
16th Jun 2013, 17:34
Captainprop: Only 10 days work per month? Lucky Guy!

aviatn
19th Jun 2013, 09:32
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately 15/15 patterns are very rare indeed these days.
I used to have such a roster before this crisis took hold. They are sweet indeed but costly for the operator.