PDA

View Full Version : VJ missed approach at YBSU, 8.6.13

Dora-9
8th Jun 2013, 20:56
I only saw the B737 climbing away. It was a CAVOK day with a light breeze, subsequently the pax I was picking up said that the pilot made a PA that blamed Air Traffic Control.

Anyone know the details?

As an aside, I am continuously amazed at the public's ignorance of all things aviation. An airport worker standing next to me told me "Virgin only send their most experienced pilots here because the airport has no radar to guide them in"! I had to walk away....

Capt Claret
8th Jun 2013, 22:54
In a similar vein, local FNQ news (Ch 7) last night reported on a QF emergency when the pilot was "forced" to take off again because of another aeroplane on the runway. BNE I think.

Obviously a slow news day. :ugh:

Wally Mk2
8th Jun 2013, 23:48
In defense of the 'airport worker' I would envisage that there are a LOT of airport general workers who really don't know what goes on in the airline cockpit world outside of their small working environment.
What we do in the cockpit is far detached from their world & sending their most experienced pilots to come into the Sunny Coast (often only Capt's land & T/off anyway due 30m RWY)as they have no radar to guide them in is quite plausible to most out there, seems reasonable enough to me especially if I had no knowledge of the radar systems & what's involved flying into a small airport like the SU.
I've been in & out of a few ER's in hospitals over the years observing & I have little idea what they do (other than the obvious), their protocols how they go about certain procedures etc, I felt I knew zip yet I worked in their world in some ways!

Anyway it matters none 'cause in his world the planes come & go & that's all that matters, how they get there is purely academic.

As for going around? Well ATC do stuff it up sometimes just like us drivers do:-)
The media? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well do we really need to say anymore!

Wmk2

Jack Ranga
8th Jun 2013, 23:51
The difference between pilots & ATC's when they stuff it up Wal is that ATC don't transmit pilots stuff ups to the world ;)

1Charlie
8th Jun 2013, 23:52
Unfortunately the channel 7 chopper was filming the races at eagle farm, and was on the BN tower frequency when the aircraft went around. The drama unfolded from there and I'm surprised no one was hurt.

Wally Mk2
8th Jun 2013, 23:57
..............pilot stuff ups???..............nah JR can;t be:E,.................ya gotta luv their Ouija (had to look that one up!) board style of ATC though:E

Anyway I wouldn't wanna be an ATC'er for all the tea in China having to put up with us lot of Princesses:E

Wmk2

Transition Layer
9th Jun 2013, 01:07
Wally Mk 2

What we do in the cockpit is far detached from their world & sending their most experienced pilots to come into the Sunny Coast (often only Capt's land & T/off anyway due 30m RWY

Is that really the standard way of doing things amongst the Operators going to the Sunny Coast....Capt only due 30m runway?

Capn Bloggs
9th Jun 2013, 01:49
Chopper filming at Eagle Fram so jet went around at Maroochydore. Got it.

Centaurus
9th Jun 2013, 01:51
In defense of the 'airport worker' I would envisage that there are a LOT of airport general workers who really don't know what goes on in the airline cockpit world outside of their small working environment

How true. Decades past Air Nauru had a "legendry" captain much admired by the locals for his drinking prowess and his piloting skills. How did they assess his piloting skills, you may ask?

The locals said they always knew who was flying the 737 because they said this bloke would come in low and just above the water and touch down right on the end of the runway. The others would touch down on the 1000 ft markers so they weren't as good as the touch down on the numbers man.

Mach E Avelli
9th Jun 2013, 05:34
In the good ol' days when men were men and barmaids ate their young, two or three missed approaches before finally squeaking in on (or a bee's dick below) minima would have hardly raised a sweat, let alone a news report. The regular pax would have accepted it as par for that particular nasty destination and would have simply been grateful to have got home for the night. The crew would have downed a few beers and gone to bed, completely forgetting about it. It would not have justified even so much as a comment in the trip record.

Now a missed approach for ANY reason, it seems, requires a report which then gets a whole team of safety investigators whipped into an orgasmic frenzy as they dissect it for latent errors and threats. The crew are offered counselling, stress leave, therapy and a rehab program. The airline's talking head appears on national TV with a statement reassuring the public that their pilots train daily for such an event and because of their outstanding skill and the airline's uncompromising commitment to safety, everyone was saved.

A go-around from 500 feet because a koala is crossing the runway and it makes headlines. Sweet Jesus.

We have become a nation of aviation pussies.

Capn Bloggs
9th Jun 2013, 11:55
We have become a nation of aviation pussies.
Not we, Mac, they... :ok:

Kodachrome
9th Jun 2013, 13:59
Bloggs mate they're different 'incidents'. Having written that down now I'm not sure whether you were making a joke or not.

ATC seem to be an easy scapegoat for the crew to blame delays on. I paxed to Sydney just over a week ago and the announcement blamed ATC delays 'due to weather' for the 90 minutes of holding, but looking out the window I could only see the tops of the towers in the CBD poking above the fog.

Jack Ranga
9th Jun 2013, 14:17
The cabin announcements are mis-leading & lack professionalism. In my opinion it lacks courage making announcements like this when the other party has no right of reply.

Capn Bloggs
9th Jun 2013, 14:23
Bloggs mate they're different 'incidents'. Having written that down now I'm not sure whether you were making a joke or not.
I see now, and Yes! :O

I never blame ATC. I blame the airport! :}

Berealgetreal
9th Jun 2013, 21:33
Announcing to 180 passengers that Air Traffic Control is at fault for a delay comes across as HIGHLY unprofessional. I would suggest using words such as: heavy traffic due to single runway ops/weather.

Wally Mk2
9th Jun 2013, 23:16
With regards to PA's for any delays I tend not to get too techo on the boguns down the back as I bet most just wanna get there & won't have to much sympathy for anyone at fault or not.
Something like "Air Traffic Control ( I never say ATC that means zip to most) has restrictions going into Syd (for Eg) this morning due weather" , after all the 'C' part of ATC is CONTROL, keeps it simple.

Wmk2

Howard Hughes
10th Jun 2013, 03:09
Now a missed approach for ANY reason, it seems, requires a report which then gets a whole team of safety investigators whipped into an orgasmic frenzy as they dissect it for latent errors and threats. The crew are offered counselling, stress leave, therapy and a rehab program. The airline's talking head appears on national TV with a statement reassuring the public that their pilots train daily for such an event and because of their outstanding skill and the airline's uncompromising commitment to safety, everyone was saved.

You forgot the mandatory DAMP testing! ;)

grrowler
10th Jun 2013, 03:21
As has been said, ATC control where we go, and if they tell us to start doing circle work, I will tell the punters it is due to ATC requirements, as opposed to technical problems or because we feel like it. Mostly I would substantiate that the requirement is due to weather or traffic, although this is difficult for me to say when its cavok, there are 2 runways, and we are the only aircraft within 500 nm :E

Desert Flower
10th Jun 2013, 06:47
Lots of diversions going on late last night due to crappy weather in Perth. Some diverted to Kalgoorlie, & a Qantas flight that was halfway out over the bight elected to go back to Melbourne. Then in the early hours of this morning, lots of diversions by aircraft heading for Sydney. Some went to Melbourne, one to Adelaide, & not sure but there could have been one that went to Brisbane.

DF.

Jack Ranga
10th Jun 2013, 12:49
Delays have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with ATC.

We don't control the weather.

We don't construct airline schedules that have 30 aircraft arriving at the threshold of 2 runways at 7am..........precisely.

We are not in the business of constructing retail outlets & car parks at the expense of a 3rd or 4th runway.

And we DONOT construct the rosters.

Yes, there are ****ups that occur at a very low rate. What is achieved by broadcasting these ****ups to he general public?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
10th Jun 2013, 13:38
Lets us all know wot a 'bad, bad, lot' U are JR....

Bring back good ole FS Oi say......

NIL 'restrictions', holding etc....

"Er,....TFC WAS"....

'Not From The Dark Side'....

Griffo...:}:}

P.s. area QNH 1013.......:ok:

Mach E Avelli
10th Jun 2013, 23:24
Good memories of the old FS: Talking to someone who had local knowledge. Someone who knew the local aircraft and pilots and their little foibles. Someone who could look out the window and give a useful appraisal of the weather. And the really cute one at Kalgoorlie that we all fell in love with.

Bad memories of FS: The pr!ck at Alice who thought he knew how much fuel I needed and would not approve my flight plan unless I carried it. Eventually he came to understand that we had the world's only F27 with 7 hours endurance, that could cruise at 250 knots and also carry a full load with all that fuel. Whatever it took to humour him....

fl610
10th Jun 2013, 23:37
Mach, I think that you will find that "The pr!ck at Alice who thought he knew how much fuel I needed and would not approve my flight plan unless I carried it." was an ATC'er, as far as I know FSO's did not have operational approval only ATC. GRIFFO will know for sure.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
11th Jun 2013, 01:49
Correct!!

All we could do as FSO's, was to check the fuel figures in minutes, as submitted, for the 'usual' of flight time + fixed reserve + variable reserve + any holding / alternate required for destination etc.
Pretty much to ensure that you were aware of any 'requirements'...

What you burned was up to you, as long as you said you had enuf, we gave it a litle green 'smiley' alongside the time/date stamp and put it into the system....

The little green 'smiley' was our 'approval'.....

:ok: