PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Vs xbox

The Horse's Mouth
30th Apr 2002, 04:31
OK,

Any feedback, views etc on the advantages/disadvantages of the two consoles.

- gameplay
- sound
- DVD quality
- etc

Horse.

Justforkix
30th Apr 2002, 06:34
PS2 is like a Ford T and the X-box a brand new Mercedes S class. X-box is simply much, much better in all aspects.

SpinSpinSugar
30th Apr 2002, 10:16
X-box is falling flat on it's ass everywhere but in America. This 33% price cut and compensation package for everyone who's bought one previously in the UK says things really aren't running smoothly in Microsoft (Europe) towers. And they won't release sales figures. PC owners don't see the point in buying essentially another PC box with less performance, and existing console owners are naturally suspicious of a PC based newcomer when there are such strong console brands to choose from with hundreds of titles.

PS2 is always going to have better games. Yes, X-box titles will look nicer (it is, after all, half a PC) but the quality of gameplay on an established console platform is always going to be higher. Take Gran Turismo for example.

However, for me, the imminant release of GameCube with a fantastic Starwars title, happily coinciding with the release of Episode II, is a stroke of genius, especially given the low launch price. I'm not a console fan, being more of a puritan PC gamer, however if I were to pick up a console, it would be the Nintendo.

A little point of reference regarding the GameCube. Everyone always goes on about the genius of the Mario games. The guy that designed all the Mario games was employed by Nintendo on Gamecube specifically to design the controller. Which speaks volumes: Microsoft concentrate on putting internet access and
hard disk drives in their X-Box, whilst Nintendo concentrate on producing great controllers. The result being that Microsoft have awful controllers, whilst Nintendos are "best ever" and Microsoft have a lovely internet enabled machine, whilst almost no-one has broadband.

And if you want to play DVDs, buy a DVD player. DVD playback from either X-box (which you have to pay extra for) or PS2 is lousy compared to a dedicated player.

FlyingForFun
30th Apr 2002, 10:54
Waiting patiently for the release of the new Zelda game on the GameCube

flapsforty
30th Apr 2002, 11:39
PS2 took up residence at 40Towers when no2 child broke leg last year. It saved him from death by boredom and me from breaking his other leg and his neck! :D

Graphics brill, sound deafening, quality of DVD exelllent. Good supply of games, endless entertainment for everyone with a Y chromosome it seems.
He's tried out X-box at mate's place and wasn't impressed.

Biggles Flies Undone
30th Apr 2002, 11:49
PS2 is excellent and it was a stroke of genius to allow it to run all the old PS1 games as well.

I've seen several X-box demos and wasn't particularly impressed. Anyway, I'm highly suspicious of anything produced/marketed by MS!

flapsforty
30th Apr 2002, 11:58
MS?
Where? :eek:
Not again!

Ohhhh.........you mean the computer people. ;)

rob_frost
30th Apr 2002, 13:08
Microsoft - they do make a few good things, like the sidewinder force feed back 2 joystick, but it is expensive

MS - I recon he'll be back, under a new name.

Send Clowns
30th Apr 2002, 18:01
I laughed when I found that DVD video play from X-Box (which already has a DVD-ROM) as an upgrade was dearer than my Samsung 16-speed DVD-ROM with player software (DVD ROM 42 incl VAT, 5 for magazine with free software - weren't they charging extra 50 for X-Box DVD video?).

MS can ... well to save Flaps a job I shall not specify what they can do :eek: