PDA

View Full Version : no sounds

acmech1954
8th Jun 2013, 06:38
Thanks to advice on this forum I have finally upgraded my old HP1729 desktop, new hard drive(at second attempt) and Windows 7 Ultimate :ok:. All appears to be working apart from I have no sound, when trying to get it going I get the information that the 'peripheral is unplugged'. As the 'soundcard ' appears to be built in to the motherboard I am assuming that it has failed and cannot be recognised. Do I need to find drivers, if so where, or do I now need to buy a new soundcard and fit it to one of the slots, or can I fit one of the usb soundcards if they do the same job. Thanks in advance for any advice.
PS all the drivers are latest and computer thinks audio devices are working ok

green granite
8th Jun 2013, 08:38
Hmmmmm, HP support says there are no drivers for any version of windows later than XP. have a browse around here (http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/support.html) and see if you can get any clues from the forums.

Saab Dastard
8th Jun 2013, 10:30
If the device is recognised, it could be as simple as toggling the "digital output only" checkbox to off. That's in Playback devices, speakers, custom.

SD

acmech1954
9th Jun 2013, 05:40
I have sound again. Thanks for the help guys. Every thing I tried did not work so in the end I got a usb sound card, plugged in and after a minute I had sounds again. Thanks again to the guys who tried to help.

Milo Minderbinder
9th Jun 2013, 21:00
assuming thats actually the SR1729, then these Realtek hi-def drivers should work
Realtek (http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs)

Ancient Observer
10th Jun 2013, 09:30
I don't know what Realtek's business model is, but they have dug me out of a hole more than once, yet I don't think I've paid them anything.....
Good for them.

Milo Minderbinder
10th Jun 2013, 19:30
Realtek make and sell chips to circuit board manufacturers, mainly audio and networking chips
Their customers are supposed to write their own drivers based on Realtek's template drivers, but often don't bother, or screw it up.
So Realtek make their baseline drivers available for download as a backstop.
They usually work OK, unless the board makers have really tweaked the chips badly