PDA

View Full Version : 'Winkle' Brown lecture video

NorthernKestrel
7th Jun 2013, 14:35
Winkle here speaking at Farnborough to raise funds for Cody statue.

Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown - Cody Statue Fundraising lecture - YouTube

Seems he got his love of speed from riding a Norton on a Wall of Death!

A fantastic watch.

aviate1138
8th Jun 2013, 09:14
He is lecturing on June 29th at the Daily Mail Chalke Valley Festival - Airshow at 14:30

Event 51 ? THE DAILY MAIL CHALKE VALLEY HISTORY FESTIVAL AIRSHOW | Chalke Valley History Festival (http://www.cvhf.org.uk/programme/event/event-50-the-chalke-valley-history-festival-air-show)

Tickets arrived yesterday...... :)

Guest 112233
9th Jun 2013, 11:44
I suspect that this lecture is of interest to Historians now as well as in the future.

I'm getting his book ASAP.

A unique Pilot & talent.

CAT III

Genghis the Engineer
9th Jun 2013, 12:55
I suspect that this lecture is of interest to Historians now as well as in the future.

I'm getting his book ASAP.

A unique Pilot & talent.

CAT III

Books !

G

Guest 112233
9th Jun 2013, 20:33
Err yes; I was thinking of Wings on My Sleeve. Sorry Genghis.The list is formidable: For those like me who just did not know of his accomplishments - See his wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_%28pilot%29#Books.

Beware though, there's a reference to a 4000 ft dive height in the account of his tests of the strengthened DH108 ! that seems wrong.

Why oh Why is this Test Pilot not better known ?

CAT III

Genghis the Engineer
9th Jun 2013, 20:43
Err yes; I was thinking of Wings on My Sleeve. Sorry Genghis.The list is formidable: For those like me who just did not know of his accomplishments - See his wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_%28pilot%29#Books.

Beware though, there's a reference to a 4000 ft dive height in the account of his tests of the strengthened DH108 ! that seems wrong.

Why oh Why is this Test Pilot not better known ?

CAT III

I've been privileged to meet Eric Brown on several occasions, and regard him as one of the greatest people this little group of islands has ever produced. Wings On My Sleeve is a tremendous read and I can't recommend it highly enough - just don't stop there!

The Daily Mail don't get much right generally, but recently described him as "The man who makes Biggles look like a wimp", and I think that was pretty much spot on.

As for why he's not better known - I can't explain it either.

G

Allan Lupton
10th Jun 2013, 13:53
Yes, it was a pleasure to meet him and to hear him speak. He took part in our (Hatfield RAeS Branch) 1990 symposium marking the 50th anniversary of the first flight of the DH Mosquito, when he told us the story of his first deck landings with a twin-engined type (for transcript see pp 94-104 of "The Mosquito 50 years on" GMS 1991).
As the result of his comment in the questions "I never flew a de Havilland product that was not a pilot's aeroplane" we asked him to come back to talk to us for a whole evening on his experiences with our "pilot's aeroplanes" and he did and it was wonderful.

dfv8
10th Jun 2013, 18:55
Just finished 'Wings on My Sleeve', a brilliant read. Also have recently read his book on the Miles M52 which is excellent and would highly recommend.