PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol into PHL ?

minstermineman
6th Jun 2013, 19:58
Well - tried PHL website - TSA - and US Border and Customs - no luck yet,

Just what can a visitor take into Philadelphia alcohol wise - buying in the UK and taking into Philadelphia as gifts ?

Agaricus bisporus
6th Jun 2013, 21:44
As much as you like of course, as long as you declare it.
If you meant duty free (not what you asked I know) standard US rules apply as Philly is (well, it was last time I looked) still in the USA...

RevMan2
7th Jun 2013, 06:14
Googling "US Customs alcohol visitor limits" turns up this (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/~/bringing-alcohol-(including-homemade-wine)-to-the-u.s.-for-personal-use)

SeenItAll
7th Jun 2013, 16:20
"Personal use" provides wide leeway. My understanding is that for wine, Customs uses the one case rule. If one case or less per person, it is considered to be for personal use. If more, then not. But don't worry too much even then. U.S. duty on wine is only about 25 cents per bottle. :)

I am less familiar with views about spirits. Definitely one liter per person is fine, and you may not be pinched if you bring in two or three. It depends on the inspector's attitude. Just be sure you list all your items on your declaration form. They don't like it if they have to ask what you have.

But the key issue is the alcohol rules of the state in which your entry airport (i.e., where you clear customs) is located. These rules may well be more stringent than the federal rules. Supposedly, the customs agent is also supposed to enforce these state rules, too.

I am not sure about Pennsylvania (PHL) alcohol control rules. You may wish to Google them. I know that in my area, if you arrive in Virginia (IAD), you can bring in pretty much what you want. On the other hand, you do not want to arrive in Maryland (BWI) -- Maryland rules are draconian -- no import of any alcohol other than by a licensed distributor is permitted. :{