PDA

View Full Version : Tricky Interview questions..

flash8
6th Jun 2013, 19:21
If asked if I am active on PPruNe and what is my username, should I be honest?

Or (in my case anyhow) is it best to say "I just browse but don't post", or even (don't know if I could say this with a straight face)... Poon? what's that?

A serious question however.

Many thanks.

Hangar6
6th Jun 2013, 19:41
I asked that very question of a candidate , he really sweated for five secs then said , one of my friends reads and posts and tells me things

I just laughed and said its good to vent no place is perfect and its a better place to vent than in a bottle

EAM
6th Jun 2013, 20:09
I would answer yes I do post at pprune, but it is an anonymous forum and we should keep it that way.
But how will it be working for a company asking these questions, everything than serous in an interview.:ugh:

box
6th Jun 2013, 20:57
People. Get.a.life.

7th Jun 2013, 08:42
Would you ever operate outside the MEL to get the aircraft home?

Paolo
7th Jun 2013, 08:56

No.

shaftsburn
7th Jun 2013, 11:25

Yes, as a non-rev ferry flight, carrying copies of the Permit to Fly / FRC.

chuleyes
8th Jun 2013, 01:55
Who is Pprune ? ;)

LeadSled
8th Jun 2013, 07:13
Yes, as a non-rev ferry flight, carrying copies of the Permit to Fly / FRC.

Or on a revenue flight with passengers, if the terms of the "Authority to proceed" allows it. I've done it many times, only once was the problem such (an reported but undetermined flight control problem) that it was "essential crew only".

pudoc
8th Jun 2013, 18:46
"I read it often but don't have an account"

or honest approach

"Yes I do but I don't feel comfortable telling you". Whether or not they will appreciate the honesty who knows.

dubbleyew eight
9th Jun 2013, 11:07
surely the answer to that curly question is " no, I'm one of the moderators"

low n' slow
14th Jun 2013, 13:24
A question I've been asked is:

It's the last flight home and you know the commander has an appointment he needs to get hom to. On the last approach into home base he proceeds below minima with no contact. A go around would be the standard procedure in this situation, but the commander is intent on landing anyway. How do you react?

My answer would be to call minima and go around, maybe he's incapacitated. If no response what so ever, I would assume control and perform a go around interpreting his lack of response as an incapacitation. If he does respond with the intention of continuing, I would not interfere in fear of loss of control as a result of a struggle over the controls, flying att low altitude... I think it's a tricky one because the standard answer that the go around should be made might involve a physical struggle over the controls which I think would be a greater hazard to flight safety than to just follow the ILS down to ground. It would also depend on what weather could be expected.

Ancient Observer
14th Jun 2013, 14:08
Have you nice boys and girls either interviewed or been interviewed recently??
Claybird's questions are a mix of ones you might/should be asked, and others that no decent interviewer should now ask.

The "standard" way of phrasing interview questions has changed over the years.
Thus, questions like.....
"Name one situation you were involved in, where a normal checklist did not apply."
and
"What's the worst thing you've done during a flight?"
and
"Tell me about a time when you had to challenge a Captain for X, Y or Z"
are far more likely than

"Why would you make a good Captain?"

If you are going for an interview in the next year or two, G**gle "Behavioural Event Interviewing" well before you go.

B737900er
14th Jun 2013, 14:36
The toughest question to answer is 'Why do you want to work for us?' This is especially hard seeing as your desperate for a job and applied to everyone that was hiring.

stephenboyd9396
14th Jun 2013, 15:00
Low n' Slow, I think you have an ok answer there. Personally, I would get on the radio and simply announce GA to ATC. No choice then, the Capt must do a GA.

fightthepower
14th Jun 2013, 16:26
A question I've been asked is:

It's the last flight home and you know the commander has an appointment he needs to get hom to. On the last approach into home base he proceeds below minima with no contact. A go around would be the standard procedure in this situation, but the commander is intent on landing anyway. How do you react?

My answer would be to call minima and go around, maybe he's incapacitated. If no response what so ever, I would assume control and perform a go around interpreting his lack of response as an incapacitation. If he does respond with the intention of continuing, I would not interfere in fear of loss of control as a result of a struggle over the controls, flying att low altitude... I think it's a tricky one because the standard answer that the go around should be made might involve a physical struggle over the controls which I think would be a greater hazard to flight safety than to just follow the ILS down to ground. It would also depend on what weather could be expected.

Low n' Slow, I think you have an ok answer there. Personally, I would get on the radio and simply announce GA to ATC. No choice then, the Capt must do a GA.

Not that I would ever dare trying it or say it at an interview. But somebody once suggested to me that you can simply lean forward and retract the gear.

Dak Man
14th Jun 2013, 16:39
The stock anser to the Pprune interview question should be, "ask NSA"

TheChitterneFlyer
14th Jun 2013, 16:49
There's nowt tricky about it... advance the throttles and punch Go-Around. Save the argument for later. In the meantime, the aeroplane is climbing safely away from the ground. At worst, you'll get the interview with tea and biscuits; whereas the commander will get the interview without either; with his/her hat ON!

Max Payne
14th Jun 2013, 17:42
Questions that I was asked a couple of months ago and found myself completely unprepared for:

What was your childhood like?
What does your father do?
Who does he work for?

Woody12
15th Jun 2013, 15:23
1 question i still remember.

The captain wants to fly through a CB and he is PF. What are you going to do?

Someone knows the perfect answer?

Dufo
15th Jun 2013, 17:21
How about:
'what do you think about our flight ops manager?'
'what do you think about our flight training manager?'

Two real life questions on in-house interview for changing type.
Believe it or not.

BANANASBANANAS
16th Jun 2013, 05:28
I was interviewed by Virgin in early 90s. On the application form it asked if I knew any pilots working for Virgin. I did and answered accordingly. At interview The conversation went something like
"So Mr Bananas, you know Captain Bloggs at Virgin?"
"Yes, I do."
"So, if we asked Captain Bloggs what he thinks of you, what do you think he would say?"
Probably, the most difficult question I can remember from any interview.

millerscourt
16th Jun 2013, 07:41
BB

Probably explains why you did not get the job as they asked your supposed mate:ugh:

BANANASBANANAS
16th Jun 2013, 08:58
Ah MC, My mate did indeed give me the seal of approval and I was invited back for the next phase of assessment some weeks later. In the meantime I had accepted another offer.

Private jet
16th Jun 2013, 11:06
"So, if we asked Captain Bloggs what he thinks of you, what do you think he would say?"
Probably, the most difficult question I can remember from any interview

The simple answer is to turn it around and say, " It would be nice to see ourselves as other people see us, and its not for me to say"