PDA

View Full Version : Pushers, Tractors and other farm equipment.

Barannfin
30th Apr 2002, 02:20
Ok guys, I just thought that I could start a new discussion. Subject:Anti-torque.

First I would like some clarification on traditional TR's. Which is a tractor and which is a pusher? What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of the designs.

Thanks guys.:)

Nick Lappos
30th Apr 2002, 03:30
The tail rotor can push (blows it air away from the tail), or it can be a tractor (push its air toward the tail), and it can rotate with the main rotor downwash (bottom rotates away from the aircraft) or it can rotate against the main rotor downwash (bottom tips rotate toward the aircraft.

Generally, pushers are more efficient, as are those tail rotors that rotate against the main downwash. Other factors, such as packaging, fold considerations and the like can determine which of the four combinations a designer will choose.

Capn Notarious
30th Apr 2002, 08:27
Im being whimsical: A tractor is made by Massey Ferguson/John Deere/ etc, a pusher comes from the design studios of Caterpiller/JC Bamford. So you ask,`Whats the link with helicopters?` They have lots of levers and a big engine!:) :D

Dave Jackson
30th Apr 2002, 18:27
It's a fact:
The tractor configuration has greater Anti-torque. :eek:

Well it does; if the conversation is about pusher vs. tractor gyrocopters,
and the torque is Pilot Seduced Oscillation. :D :D