PDA

View Full Version : 747 or 777 Simulator Time

East11
6th Jun 2013, 18:15
My wife has bought me 3 hours on a BA simulator at Heathrow.

I have a choice; B777 or B747

Which should I go for?

Thx

Hartington
6th Jun 2013, 20:30
Ask them which has the better visuals. I think the answer will be the 777 (it's newer). The simulators work because they use a mixture of movement and visuals which, between them fool your senses (and very good they are).

Make a plan for what you want to do. They have a database of airports so you have a pretty wide selection. Fairly obviously they major on their own destinations. Amongst them you can find some quite challenging approaches without having to throw in weather. For instance the "Canarsie" approach to JFK follows the curve of Jamaica Bay on a right hand curve, just mind you don't land on the Freeway by mistake!

San Francisco can be fun. Take off from 28 (L or R) climb straight ahead over the peninsular then turn right up the coast until the Golden Gate right again, along the Marina and Fishermans Wharf, past the Transamerica Building bearing right across the Bay Bridge. Continue down the bay (keep towards the Oakland side) until you cross the San Mateo bridge then do a right 180 back to land on the same runway you departed. Highly unusual, never do it in reality but great fun. The usual BA approach to SFO crosses Point Reyes at about 20,000ft then the city at about 10,000 and as slow as you can manage. You then go down the peninsular to about Redwood City make a left 180 to land on 27. The trick, apparently is to bleed the speed BEFORE you cross the city because you've got a surprisingly short distance to lose the 10,000 and get set up for the landing. I know one co-pilot who was mentoring a new Captain who gave that brief but they ended up having to do a 360 in the Bay to lose the speed after they crossed the city to fast.

It's great fun, I can reccomend it!

East11
6th Jun 2013, 20:44
Thank you; I have some ideas now

I was leaning toward B777 for the reason you state; spec is here

777-200 Flight Simulators - www.ebaft.com (http://www.ebaft.com/sim/777%20Simulator%20Spec.htm)

Chequerboard at Kai Tak still available do you think?

ZFT
7th Jun 2013, 04:02
That specification list looks out of date as BA have upgraded around 7 FFSs with the RSI XT4 IGs with 4 mp LED DLP projection systems. (This visual is far superior to the other systems).

This system is also on their new A380 and B787 FFSs.

wiggy
7th Jun 2013, 06:46
I have a choice; B777 or B747

Which should I go for?

IMHO it depends on what you intend to do with the time and how much real (not MS Flight Sim) flying experience you've got.

Being the older design the 744 has one or two characteristics that can present a challenge if you're inexperienced and yet want to have a go at hand flying, I'm thinking in particular of the likes of the pitch/power couple - not a big deal for an experienced pilot but certainly a distraction for the inexperienced pilot and perhaps something you don't want to spend your three hours trying to learning to handle.

OTOH the 777's FBW ( if it's working :cool:) makes it a much more straight forward aircraft to "pole" in normal situations, though it's perhaps more sensitive/aka "twitchy" in roll than the 747.

On autopilot there's not really much difference between the the two types.

Of course as far as bragging rights down the pub are concerned saying you've flown the jumbo sim might attract favourable comment, mention you've flown the triple sim and most folks will say "a what??"

Whichever you choose I'm sure your instructor will make sure your time in the box is enjoyable.

East11
7th Jun 2013, 14:56
Thanks wiggy

I've just a one hour introductory flying lesson under my belt ( plus PC flying time of course ;) )

Would like to;

Do take offs and perhaps more so, landings
Take off, fly around and navigate to another airport to land at
Perhaps try something with crosswinds or other added complexities

Sounds like it may be the 777 for me.