PDA

View Full Version : Useful Science. (useless knowledge)

Cyclic Hotline
30th Apr 2002, 01:24
From Useless knowledge (http://www.uselessknowledge.com/explain/fart.shtml)

What is a fart and why does it smell?

Ever pull someone's finger and hear a weird noise come out of his or her butt?

Ever sit in a tub of water and see bubbles come out of your hiney?

This strange noise and vibrating sensation that came from your butt is most likely caused by a fart.

A fart is a combination of gases (nitrogen, carbon dioxide, oxygen, methane, and hydrogen sulfide) that travels from a person's stomach to their anus. When a person swallows too much air or eats foods that the human digestive system cannot digest easily gas becomes trapped in his/her stomach. The only way for this excess gas to exit the body is through the anus.

The gas that makes your farts stink is the hydrogen sulfide gas. This gas contains sulfur which causes farts to have a smelly odor. The more sulfur rich your diet, the more your farts will stink. Some foods that cause really smelly farts include: beans, cabbage, cheese, soda, and eggs.

A scientific name for a fart is flatus or flatulence.

The word fart is just one of many different terms used to describe the release of gasses from the human body. Other popular names for farts or farting include: gassers, stinkers, air biscuits, bombers, barking spiders, rotten eggs, and wet ones. You can pass gas, break wind, blast, beef, poof, rip one, let one fly, step on a duck, and cut the cheese.

Farts can be stinky, wet, loud, or silent but deadly. Pee-eeew!!!

Did you know?

On the average, a healthy person farts 16 times a day.

Hey guys, don't be fooled by girls who tell you that they never fart. Everyone farts, including girls. In fact, females fart just as much as males.

Many animals fart too. Cats, dogs, and cows. Elephants fart the most.

People fart the most in their sleep.

Farts that contain a large amount of methane & hydrogen can be flammable.

Slasher
30th Apr 2002, 07:14
Yeh but farts can burn too. So the products of combustion should be an oxide of fart and hydrogen sulphide. But as every fart-burner knows, the H2S just aint there which seems to defy the Boyles First Law of Farts.

If farts are to expel gas then whats a burp for then? And why dont burps smell like farts?

Its widely understood that its dangerous to your health to hold in your farts. This suits crude bastards like me just fine!

I thought farts smell because Nature took into acount deaf people.

Gunner B12
30th Apr 2002, 09:23
Apparently there is a gravestone somewhere in england with the inscription.....

Where ere ye be
let the wind go free
For it was the wind
that killeth me.

Seems to bear out Slashers comments about it being dangerous holding them in.

:D :D

sprocket
30th Apr 2002, 11:27
I'd prefer to accept the theory that they are more dangerous when let out!

G.Khan
30th Apr 2002, 12:30
You are right Slasher;

Q. "Why do farts smell?"

A. "For the benefit of the deaf":)

djk
30th Apr 2002, 18:06
interesting site
I never knew that arachibutyrophobia was the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth

somewhatconcerned
30th Apr 2002, 19:54
Apparently flies fart alot. never heard one though.
Also a sheep produces enough methane in a day to power a land rover for 25 miles (alledgedly).:D

Slasher
1st May 2002, 08:54
Another mystery is why can people withstand (and in some cases even like!) the smell of their own farts but cant stand the smell of everybody elses?

This differs slightley from the standing the smell of your own sh!t but not others theory which has its roots in basic instincts of territoriality. This is because Nature realised sh!t-stink hangs around a lot and could therefore be used as a short to medium term territorial marker. But a fart instantaniousley disappears in the wind.