PDA

View Full Version : AVIANCA: Coming back, have to start all over again?

saphiry
5th Jun 2013, 22:32
Hi,

My friend has been flying for Avianca for a couple of years already and is about to become pilot (now he's still co-pilot).
He is based in Bogotá, but doesn't really like the city so he's thinking of moving.

When I asked him why he just doesn't wait til he's a pilot and then applies for airlines abroad he says that he thinks (doesn't know for sure) if he ever decides to come back to Colombia and works for Avianca again he would have to start as a co-pilot all over again, with the low start salary, as if all those years of working there and the experience abroad didn't even exist.

Does anyone know if that's true? Thanks!

Storm Shadow
6th Jun 2013, 02:04
Yes it's true. If he decides to come back he will have to start all over again.

Sunrig
6th Jun 2013, 09:20
Well that's pretty much the case with almost every carrier worldwide...

saphiry
6th Jun 2013, 13:18
No it's not like this with every career..
Let's say I worked 6 years as a marketing manager for a company.. doesn't matter what company I go to afterward, they will never give me a job as a Junior Marketing Manager but as Senior Marketing Manager because of my experience!

So seriously, he would have to start from the scratch and for the much lower salary again? That's crazy..

themagicman00
6th Jun 2013, 15:06
Your assumption makes sense in the corporate world, that being said the only way the OP gets to return as a Captain is if BEFORE leaving Avianca he gets his ticket punched (check-ride). Once he has that done, he will return or can apply to any world wide carrier and start at the bottom of the pole, but as a Captain and not Co-pilot. In some instances, I've seen Lan Captains with 10 years in the left seat fly as senior Co-pilots for Emirates. Exceptions occur everywhere. This is the nature of this industry.