PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard question

Rossian
5th Jun 2013, 13:33
Last w/e I went to help my niece to get on to Skype.

As she has "special needs" she was given a computer by a charitable organisation together with a few hours instruction. (which was woefully inadequate)

As we went along it became apparent that, although the "look" of the keyboard is UK layout, the "action" is US standard format eg the @ key ifunction is on the 2/" key top left.

Can I change the way it works? I've looked in "keyboards" in control panel but found nothing to help

Next question is - should I change what she's "sort of" got used to?

Or should I just buy her a new keyboard?

The Ancient Mariner

Bushfiva
5th Jun 2013, 13:37
You can add/remove keyboard mappings via the control panel. On the assumption UK English is already installed, see if pressing left **** + left alt does anything for you: the key combo cycles through the installed keyboard mappings.

le Pingouin
5th Jun 2013, 13:50
How to change your keyboard layout (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258824)

Which is she more likely to encounter in the future? Not being from the UK I don't know how predominant UK keyboards are, but I'd opt for whichever one she's most likely to see. My thoughts are in maximising the transferability of skills.

Rossian
5th Jun 2013, 14:57
....just had another look in control panel and nowhere can I find the phrase "keyboard mapping" or any list of keyboard settings that I can change.

Could I ask you to spell out in words of one syllable the steps to take because I'm going to have to explain this step by step over Skype to the lass (43 yr old and "simple" )- very un PC term I know but you get my meaning.

She helps her elderly parents on a small holding so "future use" is going to be limited to maintaining social contact.

The Ancient Mariner

Bushfiva
5th Jun 2013, 15:08
I have no idea what operating system you are using. In Win7, look for Control Panel > Region & Language > Keyboards & Languages > Change Keyboards. But, really, hit left shift + alt a couple of times to see if that fixes things.

FullOppositeRudder
6th Jun 2013, 06:25
see if pressing left **** + left alt does anything for youDamn keyboards! When will they spell proper? Mine's done that at times too .... :sad:

Rossian
6th Jun 2013, 09:25
.....my attempt at distance coaching wasn't productive, so I'm resigned to another day spent driving a long way to try and sort it face to face.

What really grips me is that she has to have the PC to apply for jobs although she can't drive doesn't live on a bus route and if she doesn't do these on-line applications they dock her (already small) benefits. Sometimes I think our systems are so bloody unfair and delivered unfeelingly.

Pardon my rant but this lass has had the ****ty end of the stick all her life.

The Ancient Mariner

noughtsnones
6th Jun 2013, 13:16
Rossian,
There's another charity which if not able to help your niece, may be good enough to point to better support @ Welcome to BCAB - BCAB (http://www.bcab.org.uk).

1 n 0

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jun 2013, 19:55
Rossian
what version of windows is she using?

Rossian
6th Jun 2013, 20:17
......Windows 7. It's an OK computer, I confess I didn't even look to see the make. The problem at core is an imperfect understanding of a computer. At one point when she had a problem she was told to bring in the "computer" - she carried in the monitor! I said above that the instruction she was given was poor.

The Ancient Mariner

Milo Minderbinder
6th Jun 2013, 20:52
Rossian

try this How to change your keyboard layout (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258824)

Rossian
7th Jun 2013, 08:41
Thankyou for that. I'll take that with me when I next go to visit.

The Ancient Mariner