PDA

View Full Version : Church Fenton

Top West 50
4th Jun 2013, 16:29
Pottering in my garden today, I noticed quite a lot of circuit activity at Church Fenton - perhaps there is a new Tucano course in progress? Also, a spectator friendly runway direction today. Anyway, nice and reassuring to hear and see our Air Force at work - "Jet Noise, the Sound of Freedom," we used to say!

But, as I understand it, all this will stop at historic Church Fenton when the Station closes later this year? I wonder whether there will be any ceremonial to mark the event?

For me, Church Fenton was one of the happiest periods of my RAF career (actually, it was all happy periods - just some happier than others)! As the first Tucano announced its arrival at just after 0800 this morning, my mind drifted back to my first instructional tour and the early morning scramble to be first airborne. For those slower off the mark, there was the difficulty of penetrating the Tadcaster ADIZ with the Flt Cdr already positioned high and up sun!

I hope, for the rest of the year, there will be a few nostalgic fly throughs and, if anybody is reading at Brize Norton, it would be nice to hear the odd VC10, for old times sake!

ShyTorque
4th Jun 2013, 16:48
I hope, for the rest of the year, there will be a few nostalgic fly throughs and, if anybody is reading at Brize Norton, it would be nice to hear the odd VC10, for old times sake!

You'd have more chance of seeing one at Bruntingthorpe - a number of VC10s are being chopped up for scrap.

Courtney Mil
4th Jun 2013, 18:32
'Chopped up for scrap'. God, I hate that. Think what those airframes have done in their lifetimes and how many crews have flown them. It just seems so wrong.

Hope the metal value is worth breaking them up.

500N
4th Jun 2013, 18:46
Courtney

I have often wondered that.

With metal prices up high, it might be worth it now.

The copper from all the wiring would be worth a bit
but would be a pain to get out.

ShyTorque
4th Jun 2013, 19:31
Hope the metal value is worth breaking them up.

If not, there's probably a load of value in the inner nicotine coating, from the days when pax were allowed to smoke. I really hated the trooper flights to and from Belize. Although I have never smoked, there was no option other than to breath second hand smoke for hours and come out smelling like a kipper! :yuk:

newt
4th Jun 2013, 19:49
One good thing to come out of the VC10 demise at Bruntingthorpe is the fuel left in the tanks after delivery! The Cold War Jets get a supply of reasonably priced fuel to keep the "old girls" fired up!

If you want to see a QRA scramble from the Q shed at Bruntingthorpe then support the Lightning preservation Group on Sunday 25th July. Bring the family and a picnic!! I can promise you it will be very noisey!!:ok::ok::ok:

thing
4th Jun 2013, 22:42
Was at Brize last Friday and was surprised to see Ten's still on the pan, thought they had all gone now.

BEagle
5th Jun 2013, 07:15
3 x VC10K3 and 1 x VC10C1K remain in service, they will be withdrawn by the end of Sep 2013.

They should have been withdrawn by now, but delays to the Voyager necessitated this extension of service.

Even though Voyager is now in service, it only has clearance to refuel Tornado and it has some way to go to meet full service requirements......

1.3VStall
5th Jun 2013, 18:18
BEags,

I know the C1K is "Bob", but what are the tail letters of the three remaining Mk3s?