PDA

View Full Version : Horn Island insects

autoflight
4th Jun 2013, 12:51
Seeking information about Sand Flies or Midges on Horn Island in Queensland. General info is that they are worse at:

•sunrise
•sunset
•new moon
•full moon
•light or no breeze
•near low level vegetation

Is there anything specific re the area around the airport?

Desert Flower
4th Jun 2013, 13:17
Just carry a jar or two of Vicks Vaporub with you & smear it on exposed areas - the little buggers don't like that stuff!

DF.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
4th Jun 2013, 15:46
Listerene, the mouthwash, is also supposed to be a deterrent to the little B's...
Just rub it onto exposed areas, they are supposed to not like it....

Cheers:ok:

InDaBack
4th Jun 2013, 21:17
I lived there for 2 years and didnt have many problems with them. A can of normal insect repellent will be all you need.

You will be too busy sweating to worry about the sand flies and midgies any way.

bushpig
5th Jun 2013, 02:31
The bugs aren't much to worry about up there. Probably not so bad as many other places I've lived. Buggered if I'd be smearing vicks vapour rub around or listerine. That sounds like bullsh1t to me. I usually carried some effective bug deterrent with me and used it "as required". I don't worry to much if I've forgotten it in the morning heading out for a days work as it is not a huge issue.
Probably more important to carry some sun screen, a hat and a litre or two of water and a bit of food. You can become inadvertently dehydrated quite quickly with the nature of the short multiple legs and loading/unloading exercise you get. The days can be quite long, the airport kiosk a little "exxy" and not open when you want them anyway. The water is much better than it used to be up there but not a bad idea to boil it anyway. There was still a bit of Giardia (stomach bug) around when I was up there for a while recently.

seconds
5th Jun 2013, 02:37
Sunrise and Sunset the worst. The rest isn't too bad.

5th Jun 2013, 02:39
•sunrise
•sunset
•new moon
•full moon
•light or no breeze
•near low level vegetation

Just about covers it

tail wheel
5th Jun 2013, 06:08
Sunset at the Wongai Hotel is by far the worst for sand flies/midgies on Horn Island.

Therefore it follows that if you don't drink alcohol, the midgies won't worry you. :E

autoflight
6th Jun 2013, 09:21
The responder who sent me PM, your pprune inbox is full.

Capt Fathom
6th Jun 2013, 11:28
Just watch out for the rabbits! :E