PDA

View Full Version : PPL in York Flying School?

sandhu22
4th Jun 2013, 12:46
Hi

Would just like to know if anyone has been to yorkflyingschool? and what is it like there?

Learn to Fly with Flying Lessons in York and North Yorkshire | York Flying School - PPL Training, Experience and Trial Flights and Aircraft Hire. (http://www.yorkflyingschool.co.uk/)

I want to do my PPL with them, so can anyone recommend them?
also I cannot find them on the caa list? should I be concerned or not?

https://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_stds%20Doc%2031v111.pdf

Thank you

mr_rodge
4th Jun 2013, 15:04
What a timely coincidence...

I made a post questioning their aircraft hire just a few hours ago, no replies yet though.

From what I gather Mickey Kaye who set up the school and instructs there used to instruct where I fly from but I never crossed paths with him (Full Sutton). I've also seen a few posts of his on here over the years.

Mickey Kaye
4th Jun 2013, 15:08
They are a registered facility so you will need to look Standards Document 30 and their entry is on page 37. So they are very much above board.

https://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1210

MOREOIL
4th Jun 2013, 16:18
They operate from Breighton , where I am based. They have two or three cessnas and two or three instructors, students seem happy and relaxed and they have a steady stream of first solos and licenses. Breighton is a very interesting field to fly from.
Moreoil.

thing
4th Jun 2013, 21:49
I'll second the above about Breighton being interesting. I don't know what the FTO is like but I know Mick in passing and he seems a decent stick. Re your other post Mr Rodge I'm surprised you found Sherburn not to your liking; again I don't know what it's like as a FTO but as a club it's always a pleasure to fly into, one of the best and friendliest clubs in the country IMO.

Re the training a/c at various clubs, you'll find that they 'do the rounds' as a lot of them belong to the same organisation. Fly around any of the Yorks and thereabouts clubs and you will see a/c that you have flown in the past at your own club.

mr_rodge
5th Jun 2013, 09:39
Hi thing,

To set the record straight I've never been to Sherburn, I was just going on what I'd heard on the rumour mill. I'm going to pay them a visit anyway, though I think they're a bit far from Scarborough. Could argue the same about Breighton I guess. I like the thought of the museum at Breighton also, it'll be good both for me and for giving passengers something to do whilst I check out/fuel an aircraft.

Another one I didn't consider was Bagby, similar travel times from each of my bases, but I don't know if they do any hire.

The main concern with Sherburn is their 6 week currency requirement, apparently the rule applies to flight on their club aircraft, not to hours in the logbook. I don't know how true it is, but it'll obviously cause problems for me if I hire for a while from FS and then the plane I want is unavailable, the only weekend I have available will have to be spent with an instructor at Sherburn when I might have done a 6 hour trip to France the previous weekend from FS.

sandhu22,

Sorry for hijacking your thread! I'll go quiet now!

thing
6th Jun 2013, 20:55
Does seem a bit odd (the six week currency on a club aircraft). As I say I haven't a clue how the FTO operates but the club itself is very good.

Re Breighton, it's not a museum as such, it's just a place where a lot of old aircraft are!

ScouseFlyer
6th Jun 2013, 22:02
Dropped in at Breighton on Monday and whilst there are a few interesting aircraft it is a shadow of its former self from a few years ago. Still a very pleasant airfield though.

SF

andypandy007
10th Jun 2013, 12:06
I have done a number of hours with them and can honestly say that I found them to be excellent. Mickey and Matt are very good instructors to learn from and both have a lot of experience. They carry out a very good pre and post flight briefing at no charge which I think is unheard of. I live in Manchester and it takes me 1 hr 20 mins to get there but its worth it. Try them I am sure you will not be disappointed
Mickey does not run the school to make money, the fees covers their costs, they do it for the shear pleasure of flying and passing on their knowledge to others
I've flown from Barton, 20 mins from me and £160 hr plus landing fees. Training with York flying school and flying with Mickey and Matt from Breighton is very good value for money and i've enjoyed every minute of it