PDA

View Full Version : Books for Novices

martinf
23rd Feb 2001, 00:44
I need to get a book which will explain the basics of flight and possibly up to PPL level asap. I would preferably like i to be one book as I ahve to send it on. Have read Flying the Big Jets by Stanley Stewart(?) and thought it was good but too 747 specific. Have also heard of Handling the Big Jets.
Any views on these?

Is it easier just to get one of the PPL books and give that to my friend? If so which one?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

bottle2throttle
23rd Feb 2001, 03:43
Try 'The PPL Confuser' - can't remember who it's by, but it's quite good.

foghorn
23rd Feb 2001, 12:34
The PPL Confuser is a book of example questions and answers for the PPL theory exams, so I don't think it will be that suitable.

'Handling the Big Jets' is good, but is also 747-specific.

If it's PPL-level stuff you're after, why not try the Trevor Thom book that covers the principles of flight (can't remember off the top of my head which volume it is).

If you are looking for a more advanced book about the general principles of flight, 'Mechanics of Flight' by A.C. Kermode published by Longman is considered the definitive textbook at ATPL level (and in the RAF according to the book's reviews). It's quite mathmatical - up to about A-level standard in places - however that doesn't make it particularly hard to read.

If the maths bother you, he has also written a book called 'Flight without formulae' which I have heard is also good.

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 23 February 2001).]

Rote 8
23rd Feb 2001, 13:55
Trevor Thom Vol 4 - Yellow Cover, believe it is called Aircraft Technical should see you right.

Cheers

and the chap said
23rd Feb 2001, 15:49
'Flight Without Formulae' by A.C. Kermode. I read it during my GCSE's way before I started PPL and found it to be a good intro.

It covers the basic principles of flight, explained as simply as possible, excluding all mathematical formulae. It's intended to be of use as an introductory text for trainee pilots and students as well as for the general reader.

...and no I'm not on commission

Happy reading,
ATCS

Blindside
23rd Feb 2001, 20:43
Try

www.allstar.fiu.edu/ (http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/)

there's fair bit of info on it. Is this what you had in mind??

regards

Hot&Heavy
23rd Feb 2001, 20:45
Don't worry A.T.C.S - poor old A.C. Kermode popped his clogs some years back and a couple of other guys are editing his books. So those commission cheques aren't even in the post yet...

It seems funny to me that there is a new edition about once a year and the only thing that changes is the photo on the cover! Although they have improved the appearance of the text and some diagrams.

I can also rate 'Flight without Formulae' as a good intro and then 'Mechanics of Flight' once you're ready to impress with your knowledge. Heavy reading some of it, but it's spot on.

Cheers, H&H

martinf
26th Feb 2001, 23:37
Thanks for the info guys. That website is pretty good but with slow download time I might just buy the book!

Think I might try the Kermode book!

Noggin
27th Feb 2001, 01:11
You did not say if you were looking for a book of flight exercises or a technical book covering the basics of flight.

Flying Training Vol 1 by Trevor Thom and Flying Training Vol 1 by Jeremy Pratt both cover the Flying Exercises.

Trevor Thom's Volume 4 covers aeroplane technical and principles of flight.

Jeremy Pratt's Volume 4 also covers the technical aspects.

Flight Briefing for Pilots Vol1 and 2 by Birch and Bramson were very good books a few years ago and covered the full PPL syllabus. Unfortunately they are a little out of date now.

If you are trying to get someone interested, the flying training manual Vol 1 is probably a good start.

Professor TailSpin
27th Feb 2001, 16:20
Trevor Thom's Book 1 - Flying Training covers all of the basics of flight. I've found this book invaluable and very easy to understand.

martinf
4th Mar 2001, 22:54
I reckon I am just going to go for the Trevor Thom book. Do all UK people use these books for the PPl syllabus or is it up to the instructor?

TooHotToFly
5th Mar 2001, 02:49
I know a couple of schools that use the AFE books but you can't go wrong with Trevor Thom (has anyone ever met him?).