PDA

View Full Version : SW 737 drops a load

spudskier
29th Apr 2002, 20:53
SW 737 loses a part on way from KCMH to Midway (Chicago)trying to get more details but... CNN reports...

THERE DEFINITELY WAS SOMETHING SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THE SOUTHWEST AIRLINES FLIGHT FROM COLUMBUS TO CHICAGO LAST NIGHT. PART OF IT WAS FALLING TO THE GROUND.
POLICE SAY A TWO-BY-TWO FOOT PIECE FELL FROM THE BOEING SEVEN-37... AND HIT ONE HOME... THEN BOUNCED OFF AND HIT A HOUSE NEXT DOOR. LUCKILY... THERE WERE NO INJURIES ON THE GROUND OR ON THE PLANE. THE PLANE ITSELF LATER LANDED SAFELY AT MIDWAY AIRPORT IN CHICAGO.

ABC Reports...

A falling airplane part hit two homes in Chicago late Sunday night (4/28).

The part is about two feet long and fell off a Southwest Airlines plane
headed
from Columbus, Ohio to Chicago's Midway Airport.

89 people were aboard Southwest flight seven-75.

The Boeing seven-37 landed safely at Midway and none of the people on board
was
injured. Neither were the people on the ground.

The part apparently bounced off of the roof of one home and onto another,
causing damage to the roofs.

Federal investigators are looking into the incident.

411A
30th Apr 2002, 02:20
For those of you old enough to remember....a Western Airlines 720 dropped a whole JT3 engine through some poor guys roof right beside the old Downey radio beacon (LAX) many years ago. Landed in his living room, just in front of the TV...lucky it was during a commercial, as he had gone to get a beer.

'%MAC'
30th Apr 2002, 03:46
So beer can be healthy.
More recently, in the mid nineties a 747 dropped it's engine into an Anchorage house, and I dropped an hydraulic access panel somewhere outside ORD a couple years later, don't know if it was ever found/ returned.

Load Toad
30th Apr 2002, 04:25
Sorry if this is off thread a bit but (I'm a pax - forgive me) I recall stories in the press a few years back about peoples houses etc getting hit by frozen ...er...effluent....falling off / out of planes.....was this true?

PaperTiger
30th Apr 2002, 04:44
Should probably continue this on JB, but yes there have been instances of 'manna from heaven'. Mainly older models though, I don't recall any recently. If it's any comfort the stuff isn't recognizable for what it is, so you can get those images out of your head.

Nopax,thanx
30th Apr 2002, 12:37
Yep, more common than we would like.....usually near airports as the frozen leak comes unglued - what makes me chuckle is that the people who find the lumps call the Airport or CAA/FAA/whoever, then stick it in the freezer until the investigators arrive!!!

To quote Wayne's World; Eeeeeewwwwww, gross!!!

Captain Gidday
30th Apr 2002, 14:45
Just wondering what happens to wing ice when it comes off when anti-ice is applied. On some types, it sure doesn't come off as melted water. Any ideas, tech folks?

cwatters
30th Apr 2002, 15:40
<snip> peoples houses etc getting hit by frozen ...er...effluent....falling off / out of planes.....was this true?

Someone told me the technical term for this is a Blue Ice incident
because the little cleaning tablets make the loo water blue... but
I myself can't remember ever seeing blue water in the wc. Not
that I make a habit of checking.

TJ13
30th Apr 2002, 17:05
I, too, had heard some of these strange stories, many years ago, but never knew if they were true. One of these being, about a big piece of ice with the above mentioned nasty stuff frozen fell through the roof of a family while they were sitting on the couch and landed on the floor right there at their feet.
I have never heard any of these things happening in recent years though.
:rolleyes: :eek:

AAL_Silverbird
30th Apr 2002, 17:11
Click Here (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/showcase/chi-020429planepiece.story)

Piece of aircraft falls into back yard

Tribune staff reports

April 29, 2002

A 2-foot-square piece of aircraft fuselage fell from the sky over Chicago late Sunday night, landing in the back yard of a Southwest Side home.

At about 11:30 p.m., residents in the Ashburn neighborhood heard the piece of metal skip off one roof and onto another before landing in the back yard of a home in the 8500 block of South Rockwell Street, according to a Chicago Lawn District police officer who did not want to be identified. He said the sheet was painted orange.

Because of the distinctive color, Southwest Airlines was notified, and a spokesman confirmed that the part fell from the wings of a flight from Columbus, Ohio, to Chicago, with 89 passengers.

There were no injuries on the ground and the plane landed safely. An FAA spokesman, Tom Kenney, said the agency is investigating.

Copyright © 2002, Chicago Tribune

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/Planeattitude.gif

Skyray
30th Apr 2002, 17:24
The classic newspaper headline about a house being hit by blue ice from a 727:

AREA HOME HIT BY ICY BM

Colonel Klink
30th Apr 2002, 19:13
The "Blue Ice" incidents were fairly common a few years ago, mainly on Boeing 727's. The blue fluid used to leak out of the service panel, freeze at altitude, then as the aircraft descended the ice melted and broke away, usually flying backward into an engine. The crew used to call for the engine failure checklist, not realising that the engine had actually seperated. The torque forces used to shear the engine from it's mounting bolts when it flew in the intake,causing the fan to stop after spinning at a high RPM. I have a great photo of a NW Orient 727 taxiing in, with one engine probably in that guy's lounge room.

TJ13
30th Apr 2002, 21:52
Ok, since I know I didn't dream up these stories I had heard, and some of you already know about the "727" incidents, wasn't there also the one about the woman that was hit on the head and killed by this falling "ice"?
Just wondering if this was true and actually happened.

Glad to know this is not a common problem.:rolleyes:

lomapaseo
1st May 2002, 02:10
>The "Blue Ice" incidents were fairly common a few years ago, mainly on Boeing 727's. The blue fluid used to leak out of the service panel, freeze at altitude, then as the aircraft descended the ice melted and broke away, usually flying backward into an engine. The crew used to call for the engine failure checklist, not realising that the engine had actually seperated. The torque forces used to shear the engine from it's mounting bolts when it flew in the intake,causing the fan to stop after spinning at a high RPM. I have a great photo of a NW Orient 727 taxiing in, with one engine probably in that guy's lounge room.<

Add DC9 and MD80 to the list of common. More like 1 a week in 1990 until the FAA got tough.

Unfortunately the fan doesn't stop turning and tear off the engine by torque. It does however become severely unbalanced.

I have seen a passenger video of such an event taken inflight out the window in the aft cabin on a MD80 from MEX to SFO. Some of the passengers were most distressed as they could see the front of the engine completely missing and both the engine and the seatbacks wobbling quite noticeably

Elliot Moose
1st May 2002, 17:21
Haven't had any encounters with blue ice myself, but a captain I used to fly with once dropped a DC-4 main wheel into a guy's bathroom! I talked to a freight handler at the airport he departed from and he said that he saw one wobbling as the -4 taxied out, but he never thought to call anybody about it at the time. When the aircraft was over the city (YWG) they dropped the Dunlops and landed without incident. After landing they found one missing. The homeowner was kind enough to call the airport and advise them of the location of the part!:D