PDA

View Full Version : BK RUNWAY CONFUSION

Seabreeze
3rd Jun 2013, 06:51
I was just having a look at my new amendments: Human eror strikes again. I wonder who decided on the names of the new taxiways at BK; after reading this some red faces might emerge.

At first sight, good planning;
*all taxiways off runways south of RWY Centre are designated B.
* all taxiways to the north of RWY Centre are designated A.
so far so good....

But alas, TWY C has a different rule and runs north-south with no numeric designators (looks like the planner forgot about C when naming TWY A1, A2, A3... and B1, B2, B3.... and had to think of a quick fix (Quick! before anyone notices, just call the whole lot TWY Charlie!)

Worse, numeric designators south of RWY centre have different numbers to those on the north on what is essentially the same taxiways.

So A4 is oposite B3, and A6 is opposite B4, A8 joins with B6....
AHA we are OK because Taxiway C remains just that.... ( good logic there)

What the firetruck was this planner thinking of?

Well I will leave it to someone else to pointout the logic, but it seems to me that there are least two major stuff ups in consistency here. I wonder how long before someone confuses A6 with B4, or crosses an active runway on TWY Charlie.

(light fuse, retire and wait..)

Seabreeze

Captain Nomad
3rd Jun 2013, 14:54
I didn't think there were enough runways left at BK to create much confusion... :E

Ejector
3rd Jun 2013, 14:57
how many are left?

outnabout
3rd Jun 2013, 19:52
Seabreeze, come on - don't be so harsh.

That took the work experience kid all week to do!

:}

skkm
3rd Jun 2013, 21:05
It's a lot better than the old mess, regardless.

das Uber Soldat
4th Jun 2013, 01:03
I never understood what was wrong with the old system. BK has basically 1 taxiway. shrug.

Seabreeze
4th Jun 2013, 13:38
Agree it is a storm in a teacup. Prior to D airspace no one gave a firetruck about what taxiway was what, and even after no one cares.......

I suppose much more important matters lie elsewhere, but where is the logic in this administrivia of nomenclature??????

Assuming complex TWY works at BK:....
BK TWR: Alpha Bravo Charlie cleared to TWY Bravo4 Alpha 3 for clearance to backtrack RWY 11C to TWY Charlie.
ABC: FFS, IMHO I have NFI WTF togo!

sorry: argument by absurdity is absurd; back to the shiraz

SB

LeadSled
4th Jun 2013, 15:12
Folks,
Actually, somebody in BAL seems to have seriously blundered. The new names are, by and large, logical, simple and easy to interpret --- heads (if there are any left) in the BAL admin office must be set to roll.
Tootle pip!!

Stikybeke
4th Jun 2013, 21:40
Amendments?

I foolishly went back to the March 2013 edition of the ERSA to see if I could find the answer as to why this is. Talk about a motorway!!

To cross between 11L to 11C you use the M4. From 11C to 11R the M5. There's a T2 (Transit lane - 2 or more passengers) between 29R and 29C and amazingly a N between L7 and K7 at the 29C end. My particular favourite though is the Q2 which inexplicably appears between the 11C threshold and K1.

In an attempt to identify some sort of an answer to these mathematical quandaries I held the ERSA at various angles and aside from taxiway V2 (which as of March 2013 is right where it should be....inbetween M6 and J5) I've been unable to come up with a logical answer as to why these particular references have been provided to these particular portions of YSBK taxiways. Sorry guys, I tried. I guess it's time to watch the Turbo Encabulator video again.

Stiky
:8

Arm out the window
4th Jun 2013, 22:10
Yes, it's damnably tricky, this taxiway following. You have to look at the ERSA diagram, interpret what your clearance tells you to do and then taxi accordingly. Bloody rules!

Ultralights
4th Jun 2013, 23:35
its not just pilots, the otehr night.

ABC "bankstown ground ABC taxiway J request airways and taxi clearence"
GND "ABC where are you? "
ABC "taxiway J"
GRN "still cant find it"
ABC "the taxiway formerly know as E"
GNR "thanks for that, ahh see it now"
ABC "need new batteries in your torch?"
GRN "wish it was that simple, this is a mess"

Tinstaafl
5th Jun 2013, 03:02
The easy(ier?) solution would be to declare all areas, except taxiways that can only be accessed via a runway, as apron/parking/non-movement areas ie outside ATC's responsibility. Contact tower (or a ground, if one must) when ready or to cross a runway.

Voila! Much like the previous sensible GAAP

scavenger
5th Jun 2013, 04:14
Meanwhile flying in, everybody still poles up to the same two approach points at the same attitude, with speeds varying between about 250 and 70 knots outside anyones 'control'. Basically we just have to sort ourselves out. At least they're focusing on where the real risks are eh? Ground control... What a w@nk.

Exactly right, couldn't agree more. When that argument was put to ATSB when commenting on a report relating to a near miss - resounding silence.

The report very helpfully reminded everyone to see and avoid traffic :ugh:

Feather #3
5th Jun 2013, 13:10
Of course, the confusion extends to the title!;)

This has nothing to do with runways; they haven't changed, have they?:confused:

G'day ;)