PDA

View Full Version : RTO...and resumes down the RWY..?

JanetFlight
3rd Jun 2013, 03:09
Please mods if you feel this belonging to "Spectators and Spotters Corner" feel free to move it, but however i would like to read and know about fellow Ppruners opinions here,,,,never seen it before, honestly. Is it Normal or safe to do this?

Cathay 777 Aborts Takeoff, Resumes down the runway! - YouTube

Cheers:)

777300ER
3rd Jun 2013, 03:24
That clip is fake. You can clearly see the cut scene and camera shift at the :44s mark.

nitpicker330
3rd Jun 2013, 03:25
Probably a test flight. All planned. What was the call sign??

A line flight wouldn't just continue after stopping that far down the runway, the takeoff data wouldn't be valid etc etc.

nitpicker330
3rd Jun 2013, 03:30
Not a fake, you can clearly see same CX A330 still in the background AND the ground tug on the road behind. They obviously edited out the 20 seconds the 777 was stopped on the runway to save the length of the video.

I'd be very confident to say it was a couple of our 777 test Pilots conducting a post maintenance test flight. :ok:

JanetFlight
3rd Jun 2013, 03:33
Its strange cause if its fake the vehicle on the left side seems the same and at the same road "minus" those seconds "non-filming"...even the wx, shades, taxying CX 333 and it seems she started rolling few seconds before from that same place...:confused:
Perhaps a test as NitPicker said...Instruction flt, or an ATC clr confusion, etc...?

nitpicker330
3rd Jun 2013, 03:38
I can tell you that a line flight would not conduct and RTO and then continue the T/O so quickly. It would NOT be done.

I'd place a big bet on planned test flight.

Note how the Reversers were not used , nor the speed brakes. All points to the test Pilot boys checking out the RTO function of the brakes from what looks like 80 to 90 knots. Cleared from the Tower and all planned etc.

You'd be surprised how busy our test Pilots can be with 45 777's in the fleet, always an Aircraft to test. Usually 2 Pilots and a Simulator instructor in the cockpit to help with the schedule take notes etc.

JanetFlight
3rd Jun 2013, 03:51
Many tanx for your attention and kind explanations NitPicker...thats what Pprune are made of...also for all of us learn with each others. Tanx:ok:

nitpicker330
3rd Jun 2013, 04:02
No probs. :ok:

Burnie5204
3rd Jun 2013, 15:01
@nitpicker

Want to bet? Seen WW do it a few times. Slow speed (40-50 knts) RTO'd, asked for the declared distance for the next runway intersection then said "yep, we have performance to take it from here" and continued on the scheduled flight.