PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Harbour Clearance

Tonym3
2nd Jun 2013, 23:41
Whilst travelling towards the Harbour Bridge last friday, I noticed a Searay crossing low over the bridge and flying west along the harbour/river following the same lane as the helicopters. I have often wondered how easy it is to get a clearance to track from HBB west towards YSBK. Anyone tried and succeeded or failed?

kookabat
2nd Jun 2013, 23:57
A few years ago I was doing that flight fairly regularly and I used to request to follow the Parramatta River to the west after the orbits bit. Probably half the time it was available and I got it. All you can do is ask!

VH-XXX
3rd Jun 2013, 01:04
Does it matter that he's in a Seaplane, as he can potentially have been taking off or landing....?

Ejector
3rd Jun 2013, 03:41
Are you still allowed to fly under the Harbour Bridge?

Ultralights
3rd Jun 2013, 05:19
depends on the traffic, we have been cleared direct from parramatta to the harbour via the river at 1500, and also from harbour scenic 2 direct back to bankstown on different occasions, though after 11pm and when VFR, you will almost always get direct back to bankstown from the bridge.

also helps if you have a plan in the system.

Ascend Charlie
3rd Jun 2013, 07:46
Some float planes are permitted to be in the helicopter lanes west of the bridge.

No wheeled aeroplanes are allowed in the 500' lanes. ATC might clear you along the river higher than that, but you can't mix it with the choppers at 500' who are allowed access without a clearance.

Tonym3
3rd Jun 2013, 08:15
Does it matter that he's in a Seaplane, as he can potentially have been taking off or landing....? Apparently it does.

Some float planes are permitted to be in the helicopter lanes west of the bridge.He certainly wasn't landing because he turned up on the Bankstown frequency a short while later, but I suppose he may well have been taking off. I guess he still would have needed a clearance.

Thanks for the replies. Might have a go at getting a clearance at 1500 next time I am playing spot-Joolia at Kirribili House.

S7ARSCR3AM
3rd Jun 2013, 08:45
Seaplanes and helicopters are allowed to operate in R405 without a clearance! So yes, you are correct that it made a difference him being in a Searey :)

JCJ
3rd Jun 2013, 21:26
Done it a number of times. Just request a western exit from the orbits. Its very hit and miss if you get it though, never at peak times at YSSY.

truthinbeer
5th Jun 2013, 08:34
Saw a floatplane go under the Harbour Bridge in the late 1980's. Was operating a hydrofoil and in fading light approaching Circular Quay about opposite the Opera House when this floatplane landed in our wake. For a few seconds I thought he might be wanting to land on the aft deck! :eek:
It then proceded to motor upstream under the bridge. I guess pilot was not IFR.