PDA

View Full Version : Astraeus returns?

LGS6753
1st Jun 2013, 21:06
Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson is close to getting his airline off the ground - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10092692/Iron-Maidens-Bruce-Dickinson-is-close-to-getting-his-airline-off-the-ground.html)

Barling Magna
1st Jun 2013, 22:06
Well, good luck to him. Aces High and all that. The Astraeus model should work, provided, as he says, the governance is right. However, £66 million isn't a lot when you're trying to establish an AMRO and an airline - let's hope he's got some wealthy backers.

Letsflycwl
2nd Jun 2013, 12:24
With his Welsh links, would CWL be a base option ?

fjencl
7th Jun 2013, 09:04
With them close to getting there airline off the ground again, maybe they could look into operating on the Inverness - Gatwick 3 times a day services when flybe pull of this route in March 2014. Who know's if easyjet would step in to operate this route 3 times a day, time will tell.

Ramper1
7th Jun 2013, 18:56
Easyjet already operate twice daily into inv from lgw / ltn. So why all the fuss about the 3rd flight?

fjencl
7th Jun 2013, 19:07
Yawn Yawn Yawn........nobody said anything about causing a fuss about a 3rd flight.
Clearly doesn't understand the need of the proper flight times for business people.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

SWBKCB
8th Jun 2013, 06:01
But what he is really excited about is the fact that Cardiff Aviation is in discussions with the Civil Aviation Authority about setting up an airline.

“Subject to approvals, we’ll be in the air within the next 50 days,” he beams. “Clearly that fits with the maintenance – both operations need each other.”

The plan is to start with three private jets, before sourcing some regional jets, and then working towards some larger, full passenger jets.

Looking at this quote from the article, there is no mention of scheduled services. Given the fact that Flybe are pulling out LGW as they can't make regional sized a/c pay there, a scheduled op between LGW-INV wouldn't seem to be an obvious choice.

Letsflycwl
8th Jun 2013, 08:22
CWL is crying out for a new airline and this would be ideal, especially with the Welsh links already.......fingers crossed

N707ZS
8th Jun 2013, 08:58
Could he fly from St Athan?

mathers_wales_uk
8th Jun 2013, 13:10
St Athan is a military base and likely to require further large investment to provide facilities required for passenger operations.

On the other hand what people are failing to notice is that Bruce Dickinson is looking to start with three private jets. These aircraft will be based at St Athan likely and positioned to wherever they are required around the UK and Europe.

In future they will be looking at some regional jets then working towards larger aircraft. In my view this is not a case of a new Astraeus could it be likened more to a Titan Airways who has a mixture of private jets, regional jets and larger aircraft.

Letsflycwl
8th Jun 2013, 14:18
Indeed, a Welsh Titan !!! Lets just hope it will all work out for......good luck as he obviously knows his stuff.

Direct VTB
8th Jun 2013, 17:57
Spotty M is apparently interested in a CWL base :-) watch this space!

mathers_wales_uk
8th Jun 2013, 19:00
Hmmm Spotty M rumour goes round every once in a while not as often as the harped ones but it does.

I have to say I haven't heard any rumours this time round relating to either.

Letsflycwl
8th Jun 2013, 19:55
CWL would be the obvious choice for them....support from Cardiff Airport would no doubt be strong too......lets hope so !

adfly
8th Jun 2013, 21:03
Don't know about it being an 'obvious' choice, not impossible but I think there are a few places which would get a look before CWL.

Anyway lets get the discussion back to Astraeus/Bruce Dickinson.

SCANDIC
7th Jul 2013, 20:51
What aircraft type are Astraeus going to operate. :)

LadyL2013
7th Jul 2013, 21:02
Well good luck to him, but I'm not hopeful.

Flew with them back in 2006 to Zadar. Average flight but you could tell they wouldn't last much longer. Surprised they went on until 2011 to be honest. At the time they seemed to be offering less to passengers than the other charters at the time.

cornishsimon
7th Jul 2013, 21:32
Think they stopped being a charter airline in 08 and went for sub-leasing acmi type work instead, similar to Titan now.

pjdj777
8th Jul 2013, 08:03
Indeed. Similar to Titan. Lots going on at St Athan.

Watch the news....

rightbank
8th Jul 2013, 09:46
Titan Airways who has a mixture of private jets, regional jets and larger aircraft.

I don't think they operate any private jets now. The Embraer Legacy they had is now operated by Air Charter Scotland.

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
9th Jul 2013, 11:33
Titan still operate a Citation 525A

A and C
9th Jul 2013, 12:19
Having worked for the airline in the last six months of existence I have to say that it was cash starved by its Icelandic backers, this showed in all the airline did as lucrative contracts were sacrificed to line the pockets and bolster the egos of those in Iceland.

It was inevitable that the Iclandics would suck the cash from the business and leave big debts when they crashed the company ....... Nothing more than leagal theft.

I found both Bruce Dickinson and Mario to be very personable people, Bruce has a real drive about him and if anyone can get this new airline running he can. I can only wish them both luck in this venture and I expect they will already be heeding the only advice I would offer........Keep away from the Icelandics !!!