PDA

View Full Version : IPad not reconnecting

beerdrinker
1st Jun 2013, 07:32
When my wife's I Pad, her IPhone and my Mini have been disconnected from the home wifi by taking them away for a few days, when we return we have to input the access code again.

This does not happen with Android or Windows devices that immediately recognize the WiFi network and log on.

Is there a solution?

OFSO
1st Jun 2013, 10:07
This does not happen with Android or Windows devices that immediately recognize the WiFi network and log on.

Aha ! My HTC phone immediately reconnects: my ViewSonic tablet does not. Same settings on both. Same WiFi apps loaded. No explanation.

beerdrinker
1st Jun 2013, 10:55
LFAJ

Wi-fi settings for the network to Auto-join and Auto-login - both to ON should do it.

Forgive my ignorance, but where do I access these two settings. I have a Netgear modem/router.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Jun 2013, 11:42
going back a few years there was an incompatibility between some Netgear routers and Apple products which caused this......I seem to remember it needed a combination of a firmware flash on the router AND updates to the devices.
I just did a quick Google but nothing immediately came up......but can anyone else remember better?

beerdrinker
2nd Jun 2013, 10:16
Just had another look. No tabs but in small print underneath it says " Known networks will be joined automatically. If no known networks are available, you will have to manually select a network."

I suspect somehow this Apple forgets this Network when away from it and indeed I do have to join manually when I come back. Weird - but that s the Fruit Machine for you!!!

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Jun 2013, 12:33
these may be relevant
dates from 12 months ago but may still be valid

these two say that for a Netgear device you need to downgrade the router firmware

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4364588?start=0&tstart=0

iOS 6 iPad 3 wi-fi "connection fix" for netgear router - YouTube

while this guy says you need to upgrade the firmware.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gRbC1hubCM

Personally I'd try downloading the latest variant and see what it does