PDA

View Full Version : Dieting help.....

BRL
29th Apr 2002, 18:02
Hi all. I am going to start a diet as from next week. I just been on the scales and i have ballooned to an incredible 16.5 stone. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think doing shift work doesn't help. I eat some real crap when at work. Mostly fast food take-away stuff, things that are hot and quick. I also snack a lot too, chocolate, crisps, anything really thats small enough to fit in my work bag. You won't beleive what i go through a week. I also just bought a new mountian bike and am about to join a gym too. The gym is really expensive so i hope that this will spur me on to go to it at least 3 times a week as its so bloody expensive.!!!

Are any of you dieting now? What diet are you using, any tips, help etc? I am after a bit of support too as i am a bit shocked to be honest.

If anyone wants to start next week, then show your interest here. Maybe we can post here say once a week and see how things are going? Just a thought anyay. A bit of moral support does wonders. :) I am looking at getting down to at least 14 and a half stone. I know its not impossible as i was something like that in the middle of 2000.

Wish me luck......... :)

Techchick
29th Apr 2002, 18:13
Reminds me of a girly joke, BRL.......

How do you lose several stone of ugly fat??

Divorce Him.............:D :D :D

(You know I dont mean it;) good Luck, mate!)

flapsforty
29th Apr 2002, 18:19
Big red L to give the metrics like me an idea about the size of your predicament, please give height & weight in cms and kgs. ;)

Good luck, looking forward to meeting Small Red L in June! :D

The Greaser
29th Apr 2002, 18:57
BRL

I have lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks - I find that just by cutting down the beer/wine intake and doing 30 minutes exercise a day you really dont need a diet as such. Mind you I was drinking a fair bit before so I have probably reduced my calorie intake by half!

Good Luck

Sir Zero Mutt
29th Apr 2002, 19:13
BRL,

I was 116kg at my zenith. Clearly this called for stern measures! Tried the usual with mixed and uninspiring results, and then was introduced to an American Product called Herbalife.

I urge you to get past the American hype, because I can assure you the stuff works, and has fantastic health benefits. Seems like a mystery cure, but isn't really. It's all about re-energising the villi of the small intenstine, the little 'fingers' that project into the passage of food through the small intestine.

Modern diets really play havoc with these little beasties, and by taking Herbalife suppliments for breakie and lunch, and then a normal dinner (if you're anything like me, you'll woof this down like a starving savage) the weight drops off, AND STAYS OFF.

Give it a go. It isn't cheap, but when you can fit into jeans again, and retire your track suit pants to the bottom drawer, its worth every penny.

Sir Z Mutt.

Slasher
29th Apr 2002, 19:23
BRL I can really help you out here mate! Im on a diet too since I ballooned to 88.5kg from my usual 84. Im currentley down to 86.3!

* Cut out rat-burgers and fried pigeon eggs even if the rats in your area are skinny. If you have to have pigeon eggs then have them boiled

* Dump all that fattening lettuce and onions from your hamburgers

* Monkey brains are a big no no! Nope, not even steamed or boiled. Sorry.

* Only take your parrot-guano sauce well diluted. I found that mixing in melted cheese to be the best acceptable diluting agent.

* Oh and smoked chooks feet are ok. The locals told me.

* Remove all fattening ice from your scotches and other alcoholic drinks

* Ease up on your rice intake. 1-2kg serving is plentey.

Its working for me! :D

falps
29th Apr 2002, 20:50
A mate of mine used to tout Herbalife to friends and family; made quite a bit of money on the stuff too.
Until local authorities put a stop to the whole business in this country. Something fishy about it's claims & benefits apparently.
So beware............

Sir Zero Mutt
29th Apr 2002, 21:20
Yes, BRL, falps is right, and buyer beware for sure.

But it worked for me, and worked well. Nothing fishy about it as for as I'm concerned. A lot of folks get caught up in the admitedly gaudy and sometimes pushy American sales techniques. But its your health we're talking about, and thats the main thing.

Give it a go, and if it doesnt work for you, go back to the old diet and exercise yawn.

SZM.

Unwell_Raptor
29th Apr 2002, 21:24
Eat what you like, but don't swallow.

No, it didn't work for me either.

Fujiflyer
29th Apr 2002, 21:28
I started a week ago (Monday 22nd Apr). I'd gone from my usual 100kg up to 104kg. Its going well - I'm descending through 98kg at the moment. I too, had a tendency to eat snacks and crisps at work.

BRL, the best plan is to set a strict rule that you take you food with you from home and do not buy any snacks. That way you can control what you have rather than let urges take over. I've found much of the desire to eat snacks is psychological and goes away when you tell yourself what you must do. Good idea about the weekly updates - lets do it.

Obviously alcohol needs to be restricted - I avoid it during the week (I have abided by this for a long time now). Allow yourself some at weekends but try to avoid sweetened drinks.

As the Greaser said if you try to be active for 1/2 hr a day it maintains your metabolism and speeds things up.

Another point - don't rely on scales for accurate regular measurements. Instead go by your trouser belt feel - it gives a fairer short term indication.

Look forward to June 1st,

Fujiflyer :) :) :)

BRL
30th Apr 2002, 21:08
I am off out tommorow on a final booze/food binge before i start.....thanks for the advice so far.... :)

Slasher
30th Apr 2002, 22:10
Unwell R whats that thing called where you puke up the grub after you swallowed it? Bullimia or something? I recall a 125kg slob neighbor in Adelaide started the habit and 7 months later he was a modest 80kilos. Ate like a horse and upchucked the lot, but survived on water, flat lemonade and vitamin tablets.

I was 12kg over the hilt about 11 years ago. Went on the Pritikin diet and lost the lot in 4 months. Plateau was reached in only 3 weeks.

Unwell_Raptor
30th Apr 2002, 23:02
Slasher asks:-

Unwell R whats that thing called where you puke up the grub after you swallowed it?

It's called Mc Donalds.

Slasher
30th Apr 2002, 23:18
Yeh ok Unwell as a former McDonalds pukette I cant argue with that one! :D

Standard Noise
1st May 2002, 11:47
BRL - Mrs Noise put me on the Weightwatchers plan. Eat what you want, but cut down on the portion sizes. Most foods are worked out in points eg 30grammes chicken = 0.5 point, and so on.
I must admit, it took some getting used to, having to weigh/work out points on all my food, but I lost 21lbs in 9 weeks. This was combined with 5 one hour hikes with the dog each week (cos I couldn't be bothered dusting off the bike).

You DON'T however need to attend their weekly classes, just buy a new set of scales and use only them at the same time of the day on you're weekly weigh-in.

BTW, I found I weighed less first thing in the morning, before breakfast, and after a good ......!:D :D

Good luck, whatever you choose.

FlyingForFun
1st May 2002, 11:56
BRL,

Good luck mate.

I've been on WeightWatchers for a little over a year, after reaching 17 1/2 stone. I'm now a little over 14 stone - overweight, but no longer obese, and a lot happier about my whole life as a result. But it's tough being a bloke on a diet.

I'd definitely recommend WW. A little scary at first, walking into a room full of women :eek: but women really are a friendly bunch. And if you really can't handle that, there are a few men-only groups around. The programme is excellent - you can still eat pretty much whatever you want, so you don't have to give up your social life. It's just a case of doing things in moderation, and keeping track of what you eat.

A few hints:

Don't bother starting unless you're really motivated. It sounds like you are - in which case, go ahead. But you have to realise that, no matter what diet programme you try, it won't work unless you want it to work.
Don't just go to a meeting and get weighed every week - stick around for the chat afterwards. You'll get some good hints+tips and encouragement. Also, if (or when) you start to lose motivation, it makes it much harder to drop out, knowing that all the regulars at the meeting will notice that you've gone.
Be prepared to change your lifestyle. At first, I really believed that I didn't have enough time in the day to make sandwiches, rather than buy a burger for lunch. But I found time. And if I didn't, I took with a loaf of bread, a tin of tuna and a jar of mayo - and made the sandwich at work. (Don't forget the tin opener!) And if you really can't do that, there'll always be somewhere to buy a low-fat sandwich - Boots and Marks+Spencer are both excellent.

I'm sure it'll go well for you, and hope to see less of you at the next bash!

FFF
---------------

Dr. Hibbert
1st May 2002, 12:24
Having put on a stone in the last month, I'm all for this sort of thing!

Does anyone know a good source of info on how to get the most out of exercise? i.e. is it really necessary to thrash one's bits off on exercise bikes etc for ages at a time or is there a better way? I know, no pain no gain etc etc, but any advice gratefully received!

Having not gone to the gym in a while (hence the Mr Blobby look), am struggling to get motivated. Always found that, even when going 2 or 3 times a week, the whole gym thing was a bit of a token effort, and just got too repetitive and dull. I need inspiring!

Yours in gluttony...

essouira
1st May 2002, 12:36
Dr Hibbert - Exercise in the swimming pool is one of the best ways to burn off weight cos you keep cool (and your blobby bits won't wobble in front of everyone). Aqua aerobics classes + Swimming = A Good Regime. Good luck

RW-1
1st May 2002, 16:45
Gettting in shape isn't hard, it's choosing the right shape;

Do not choose a circle!

Excercise in most cases and a moderation of portions of what you eat, in combonation for most will bring about a loss of weight.

rob_frost
1st May 2002, 17:00
I eat what I want, problem is, I forget to eat sometimes, if left of my own. I've gone from 9 til 6 often without eating anything..

I do lots of excersize though. It might by a culture/time shock, but daily excersize seems to work wonders.

redsnail
1st May 2002, 18:18
I have been on a "diet" and exercise programme for about 6 months. I have lost 10 kg.
Diet seems to be fairly well covered, so I won't go on about it. Needless to say, 2-4kg a month is about what you want to lose. Don't rely on the scales, use a tape measure AND how your clothes are fitting. Ideally, they should become looser! :D I use the adage, if you don't eat it, then you don't have to burn it later. A thing to note. This isn't punishment nor are you in prison. If you "deviate" from the diet, just get back on it again tomorrow.

Fatburning.
It is very important to build up muscle. Lean muscle looks better than blubber and it burns energy even when you are doing nothing. So, some form of resistance training is the go.
There are two schools of thought re cardio zones and fatburning zones. When starting out, probably better to stick to the fat burning zone untill you get a bit fitter. This is about 60% of your maximum heart rate. If you have a heart rate monitor, use it, fantastic device. If not, consider buying one. Another way of determining your exertion level is to try to talk. If you can do so without straining then you are at the right level.
Now, I found out the other day that the fatburning zone is NOT the best zone to lose the gut. So, since I am a lot fitter than I was 6 months ago I now train in the cardio zone. (80%)
Fatburning = fat only. Cardio = fat AND carbohydrate and results in a greater amount of calories/kilojoules burnt.

Good exercises for fat burning is walking at a brisk pace up and down hills. Using a treadmill on a reasonable incline, pushbike etc.
Note, your body will work harder the more of it's own mass it has to support. So, while swimming is a great exercise for titness/upper body conditioning personally I have not found it very good for losing excess kg's. However, if you like swimming and can do it 3-4 times a week, go for it.

Very important to set goals. Write them down and take weekly/monthly measurements. Keeps you focussed and motivated. Persuade someone else to join you :D
Summer is nearly here :cool:

Mooney
1st May 2002, 18:27
Try the Atkins diet,best thing is you can eat like a pig also as long as carbohydrates are cut out your diet..... SO breakie can be eggs and bacon...cheese for snack... and a roast dinner (no spuds) later on. There's a good book i bought from amazon.com loads of bullshit saying how the diet was formed.... but you can cheat and dive in at chapter 8 and just get on with it.

Flew with a Capt who lost 2 stone in 5 weeks. No bad! I'm gonna give it whirl!

Good Luck!

ATCbabe
1st May 2002, 21:38
BRL,

I know you can do it ;) Good luck

Love Babe xxxx

ShyTorque
2nd May 2002, 10:06
BigRedL,

Just a few words to help keep you on the diet...

YOU FAT BA$TARD.

Hope that helps :D

Fujiflyer
11th May 2002, 13:20
BRL, how's the diet? ;)

Mine is still going strong although the digital scales are doing their best to put me off. They keep reading 98.4kg even though I can tell from my trouser belt that I've lost a fair amount. (They also gave a zero reading for my flight bag, the other day. :D

Fujiflyer :) :)

BRL
11th May 2002, 16:20
Well, its almost the end of the first week now and i was doing well until thursday. I went for a pint after a crap day at work and ended up getting a bit carried away. Had far too much to drink so i guess thats put me back a bit now.

I was doing well too, tuna sandwich at work, cut out all the crap, no snacks, take-away food etc. I find it quite amazing how much i was tempted to go and buy a mars bar, packet of crisps etc but i held myself back. Almost everytime i went by a shop, i wanted to go in and buy something which is what i was actually doing all the time. As i say, i am amazed at how often i was doing that.

Havn't been to the expensive gym yet. Simply havn't had time being on day shifts the last week. Have been all over the place on my bike though rather than jumping in the car.

Going to make a super-human effort this coming week and start getting to the gym as well. I am at the moment still 16.5st. Not for long though. How is anyone else doing.? :)

Fujiflyer
11th May 2002, 16:35
Keep up the diet, mate. One "fatty" day won't matter - if anything it'll encourage the metabolism to stay up.

An adaption of my idea of keeping wkends for allowing one's self to relax a bit, is to set an allowance (per month, say) whereby you can declare a break, for one or two days. Watch it though, its easy to lose the plot completely, if you're not careful.

I think its far more important to have a scheme where you can sustain the regime rather than simply lose a few kg quickly. :)

Fujiflyer:)

Dr. Hibbert
11th May 2002, 17:02
Well having been reasonably ok with food n booze for the last week, and having started going to the gym again.... I've put on 2 pounds. Hmph! :(

KayGridley
11th May 2002, 17:05
Dr Hibbert you were asking about exercise. I hate the gym as well :mad: faaaaaar too boring for my liking ;)

I did get some tips from one of our squad coaches that seems to work for me. Dont just work on your cardio-vascular stuff (running, cycling etc) but use the weights as well. If you do about half of your time working with weights first it gets u reallly warm without panting. Your muscles are then much more ready for the cardio work because they are much warmer. By doing the weights first you use up the energy that you would usually have to burn off before your body starts to use its own reserves if that makes sense.

Weights arent as scary as they sound either :) it just depends what you want from them. I'm pretty tiny for a girl and because of the sport I compete in, if i spent my time lifting big weights I'd end up a) flat :D b) with the wrong muscles. I just stick to very light weights (and yes all the blokes to laugh at me :rolleyes: ) but with a lot of repetitions. It gets you nice and warm, and it tones you're muscles much better too, because it builds up the slow twitch muscles (the ones that let you run for miles, without looking like a small tank :D )

Dont know if that helps at all, hope it does. Good luck to all of you on diets atm, hope they work for you :)

PS Could you all spare a thought for those you're living with though please? Kay is getting rather irritated living with her mum and sister who seem to just eat slimfast cans :( there's never any food in that has any callories in it :rolleyes:

BRL
11th May 2002, 18:34
Kay. Errm, can you do the splits.?? ;)

Dr. Hibbert
12th May 2002, 11:19
Kay,

Thanks for the tip - my usual routine has been to do cardio first and then weights, but as you say, I'm usually knackered by the time I try to lift anything :eek: .

I'll give it a try the other way round and see what happens...

KayGridley
12th May 2002, 11:20
BRL - Yup :p

Hope it goes well Dr Hibbert :)

BRL
12th May 2002, 14:36
Kay You single then.?? ;):p

KayGridley
12th May 2002, 16:47
Hehe, sorry BRL I think my better half might get upset if I answered yes to that :cool:

fantom
12th May 2002, 16:51
what a load of rubbish.

to lose 20kg either:

1. cut off a leg;

2. sew your gums together for a month.

:p