PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Landing Areas

JSeward
31st May 2013, 10:35
Hello everyone,

The CAAP about landing areas was only advisory and looking at the regs I could only find this:
(1) A person must not land an aircraft on, or engage in conduct that causes an aircraft to take off from, a place that does not satisfy one or more of the following requirements:
blah blah
(d) the place (not being a place referred to in paragraph (a), (b) or (c)) is suitable for use as an aerodrome for the purposes of the landing and taking‑off of aircraft;
and, having regard to all the circumstances of the proposed landing or take‑off (including the prevailing weather conditions), the aircraft can land at, or take‑off from, the place in safety.

Does this mean you can land and take off anywhere provided it can be done in safety?

I have no intention of doing any cowboys moves I was just curious

Many thanks

catseye
31st May 2013, 10:39
owners permission kicks in along there somewhere as well.

JSeward
31st May 2013, 10:50
If only all the rules could be in one easy to use document...

VH-XXX
31st May 2013, 10:55
You can essentially land anywhere where you have permission (preferably written) from the land owner.

It usually only becomes unsafe once you crash. I know people that have powerlines running over their airstrips and this is well known, but that doesn't make it unsafe... that is until you hit one of them :-)

JSeward
31st May 2013, 11:28
In a Jabiru ad and up at Fraser island aircraft land on the beach, who would you have to write to for permission to do this?

JSeward
31st May 2013, 11:30
I've tried looking but does anyone know another hidden regulation that specifies where you can land apart from this that says you can as long as it is safe?

For example in the CAR's it says an unlicensed person is not allowed to sit at the controls in a dual control aircraft but in a CAO it says you can allow them too?

Ultralights
31st May 2013, 11:53
fraser island is an ALA if i remember correctly, and permission to use was granted by fraser air. but to get that permission, they wanted to give you an endorsement in landing on beaches..... :rolleyes: all this was a quite few years ago now, so might have changed

Ex FSO GRIFFO
31st May 2013, 11:54
Yep! In a former life, all charter flights were conducted in aircraft with a full set of fully functioning controls on the 'other' side...

I would doubt if much has changed...
:ok: cheers......handing OVAH!

31st May 2013, 13:09
who would you have to write to for permission to do this?

Whichever Qld Government Depart has jurisdiction over the beach.

Try Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing.

If is is for a private operation, do not be surprised if you get a firm "no"

metalman2
31st May 2013, 23:12
I've often been asked if I can land here or there, I usually answer YEP ,I can land where ever I want to, it's just some places I need a really good excuse( maybe a dirty spark plug) other places are called airports. As for Fraser Island ,if you land on the beach DO NOT POST IT ON UTUBE, your memories will very quickly be renamed evidence!

JSeward
31st May 2013, 23:34
Keep in mind I don't plan to actually land on any beach or something yet, I'm just curious as to the limitations and it appears the only real rule is landing where it is safe and you have the owners permission.

j3pipercub
1st Jun 2013, 00:22
With Regards Fraser,

About 5 years ago I was told that National Parks had only authorised 2 Operators to land on Fraser beaches/non airstrip area. They were the helicopter mob and of course Air Fraser. Furthermore, both operators used to police this ruling fairly fiercly and dob people in for landing without permission.

Then there was the Archer from Illawarra that had the engine failure and after conducting a forced landing, bouncing and leaving the left main on the beach, the engine magically started working again...:hmm:

j3

1st Jun 2013, 01:23
you have the owners permission.

Keep that in the back of your mind.

The Qld Police also consider the beach to be a state road for enforcement purposes.

Flying Binghi
1st Jun 2013, 01:49
via JSeward:
I have no intention of doing any cowboys moves...

:confused: ...do that mean yer not gonna wear spurs ?

Progressive
1st Jun 2013, 05:26
Advice on obtaing permission to land in pulblic areas (incuding beaches and state parks) in QLD can be found in this document:
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/register/p01087aa.pdf

Cheers

27/09
1st Jun 2013, 09:52
The CAAP about landing areas was only advisory and looking at the regs I could only find this:
(1) A person must not land an aircraft on, or engage in conduct that causes an aircraft to take off from, a place that does not satisfy one or more of the following requirements:
blah blah
(d) the place (not being a place referred to in paragraph (a), (b) or (c)) is suitable for use as an aerodrome for the purposes of the landing and taking‑off of aircraft;
and, having regard to all the circumstances of the proposed landing or take‑off (including the prevailing weather conditions), the aircraft can land at, or take‑off from, the place in safety.

Faark, your regs are a bit anal. Over here you can land anywhere you like so long as you have the owners permission. It goes without saying the place of landing must be suitable for use as such.

Scion
2nd Jun 2013, 20:42
Look this might go right back to the "Warsaw Convention" or some other interrnational treaty set up in the 1920s to which all nations were signatories. I think only 2 rules apply the "safe" rule and the "permission" rule. If however it is a commercial operation and money changes hands then that is quite different.

Also councils can get you on noise or other regs. It is all initially simple but then with the next layer of regs gets more complicated.

Sunfish
2nd Jun 2013, 22:25
Progressive:

Advice on obtaing permission to land in pulblic areas (incuding beaches and state parks) in QLD can be found in this document:
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/register/p01087aa.pdf

...and the regulations say: "bugger off, we will never give you a permit".

JSeward
3rd Jun 2013, 10:51
So does anyone have experience with this regulation? Ever landed somewhere that wasn't really and airport and had the landowners permission to do so?

Progressive
4th Jun 2013, 14:27
Sunfish,
Fair enough, but at least they tell you how to not get a permit! I noticed also that flights for or on behalf of the commissioner get automatic permission. So everyone bar the commissioner and his mates can "bugger off".