PDA

View Full Version : First cross country flight

PPRuNeUser0179
31st May 2013, 08:01
Hi there fellow rotor heads
So Ive got my first cross country flight coming up this weekend...I know I'll have my instructor by my side,but I would like a few tips from you guys about preparation and tips throughout the flight.
Of course detailed planning,but what about flight following/basic radar services?filing flight plan,etc etc...I know my instructor is not the type who uses radar services and files flight plans for cross country trips unless absolutely necessary but I tend to take a different approach...IE:using services that can benefit me...But what do you guys recommend?and what mistakes should I watch out for?
Much appreciated everyone

Regards,

Dan

Phoinix
31st May 2013, 10:24
File a flight plan if you want somebody to start looking for you before the next booked flight :E

Not so much about radar services but a general advice:

- Get in the cockpit before the flight and find a comfy position with which you can fix your cyclic with your knees/thighs so you can do writing and map reading without loosing the desired parameters. This will also prevent turning when map reading.
- During the flight, never release the cyclic if it isn't in a good position for stable flight.
- Organise your maps according to the direction of flight.

The route:
- know your points along the route, know your airports along the route - do a self briefing before the flight, do time checks and get your references set up for maintaining the heading visually, not only by compass,
- write down anything you imagine you will need on the flight, freq., runways, atis,... - unfolding charts in the cockpit to get some frequencies is a pain.
- maintain your desired parameters (IAS, ALT) and don't forget to reset the counter when overhead your route point,
- do a good weather briefing, check the winds and visibility. On the route, check your timers and note the drift (your cockpit moving sideways relative to terrain). The times and drift will tell you if your situation is really what the wx briefing was.
- do proper fuel planning, also include contingency fuel for unpredictable events, alternate if you have one, and of course your final reserve.
- cross country flight is a procedure which you'll need to let your mind automate. Easier said than done; if you make a mistake (airspeed, clock, missing chart,...) make a little note for the future and forget it there and then. Otherwise, while you are pounding your mind with a small error, time is passing by and so are the miles. When you become aware of the situation your mind-time-lapse has put you in it might get even more harry. Frustration can set in easy. So, note and forget.
- last but very important. Set up your cockpit activities according to: AVIATE, NAVIGATE, COMMUNICATE. Take your time with ATC. If you don't understand the entire message, don't hesitate to go "SAY AGAIN".

Flyting
31st May 2013, 10:42
Um.... you're in SA.... flying a helicopter - most probably a 22... You'll be flying around 500 ft agl - forget about all the "plank" services. They won't give it to you that low and you most probably won't be able to hear them.

Sit back and enjoy the ride and let your instructor teach you... It's the first of 6 hrs of Xcountry you have to do

Shawn Coyle
31st May 2013, 14:08
Fly it on google earth first - in fact fly it several times!

PPRuNeUser0179
1st Jun 2013, 13:44
Phoinix-Thanks for the in-depth advisories.You have made a clear understanding for me about the certain process's involved with X-country.And I cant agree more with your last note.Aviate-Navigate-Communicate.

Flyting-Many pilots here in SA do fly +/- 500ft agl but some,including myself,like to keep a bit of altitude between the helicopter and the ground.Plus,doing things like flight planning and basic radar services,not only shows a good pilot,but also shows a "safe" pilot in the sense of doing things that are recommended by non other than atc.Although I do agree with your statement, Sit back and enjoy the ride and let your instructor teach you

Shawn Coyle-That idea did not cross my mind and seems like a very good idea indeed...

:ok: to everyone..

Thanks gentlemen

Dan

pilas40
1st Jun 2013, 18:29
Time
turn
twist
track
throttle
talk

spinwing
1st Jun 2013, 23:19
Mmmm ...

Should that not be .... Turn, Time, Twist, Throttle (or Torque), Talk, Track ?? :ooh:

albatross
2nd Jun 2013, 06:23
There are about a jillion versions
Time ( note over checkpoint and write it down)
Turn ( new heading to next checkpoint )
Throttle ( Do you need to climb or descend )
Tune ( New ATC or Nav freq / GPS waypoint )
Talk ( Position report or other comms as required )

Never forget the priorities -1 Aviate ( fly the aircraft )
2 Navigate ( don't get lost )
3 Communicate

If overhead unfamiliar terrain ( LOST )
1 Climb if required to communicate or get a better view
2 Confess to ATC or someone that your are slightly confused as to your position.
3 Comply with ATC vectors if given. You're lost. They aren't.

Have fun on your cross country with proper planning all will be well.

( "I have never been lost. I have however been dreadful confused for a month or two!" -- Davy Crocket American explorer or it may have been Daniel Boone )

rjtjrt
2nd Jun 2013, 07:48
Flying it on Google Earth is a great idea.
The main issue is the lack of availability of a spare hand to fold map, open book to get aerodrome info, or to write stuff on map etc..
Helicopter pilots seem to track crawl, and fixed wing seem to fly heading and time more religiously.
So per flight prep of anything and everything you will need written on map (eg frequencies, etc) are very handy.
After pre flight prep, the rest you just end up coping with, in the full knowledge that it is the same for everyone, and everyone is challenged by this situation.
Hope this helps - you will most likely do OK in the end.
John

Ricorigs
2nd Jun 2013, 08:52
Everyone has their own thing.

Prior planning prevents P**** poor performance.

I write everything on my map so I shouldn't need to refer to any docs in flight.
Blue for comms/black for nav/red for safety altitudes and minimum fuels.

Planned fuels including a chicken fuel at your furthest point so in case it all goes wrong you can straight line back home.

I also have a nav plan so if a GPS spits out a spurious heading/distance I can quickly cross reference it. Chances are I've fat fingered something incorrectly rather than the satellites are spewing out errors.

Also if you can divide your plan into legs of nav features such as distinctive towns, lakes etc and describe them as such so your trip becomes a pre planned story. Daft I know but I saw some old and bold use it and adopted it for myself.
For example-
Leg 1 is pretty much northerly, with the large town of Sheffield on my right and line feature of the M1, speaking to Doncaster airport with a series of water features approaching I know I'm closing on East Midlands.

Height wise, at medium altitude you can cut your workload:
-Fly above aerodromes so you don't need to talk to them,just sticking to the major ones if they'll talk to you.
-Avoid ranges, danger areas, hospitals etc.
-See a lot further to take the pressure of your navigation.
-All goes wrong you will likely see a larger array of options around you.

But main thing enjoy it.