View Full Version : RAF Syerston?

Pontius Navigator
31st May 2013, 07:10
What is on with RAF Syerston? Years after Swinderby and Syerston and many of the FTS were closed and sold, Syerston is still active.

True like many stations that closed its quarters fell into disuse and despair but latterly one could see creeping privatisation with extensions, conservatories, gardens etc.

On Google Earth the airfield looks spic and span, mown grass, no X on any runway and one hangar still standing. The other hangar is shown as an expanse of clean concrete.

Yesterday a glider swooped over as we drove past.

Prime real estate in a good part of the country and still the MOD is hanging on about 50 years after it closed.

Mandator
31st May 2013, 07:48
The old wartime hangars have been demolished and new hangars were put up last year to house the Air Cadets Central Gliding School.

Lots of gen and pictures of old and new on Airfield Information Exchange:

Syerston - Page 20 (http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?629-Syerston/page20)

BBK
31st May 2013, 09:13
PN

I believe the Air Cadet Central Gliding School (ACCGS) has been there since about the mid 70s. So it hasn't been shut at all! You could always buy the recently published book about Syerston from the Newark Aviation museum shop. :)

BBK

Pontius Navigator
31st May 2013, 10:42
Thank you both, though the thrust of the question is really 'how has Syerston survived' in what is a peripheral military activity. I am not arguing the pros and cons of gliding as an activity but surprised that it has survived in the stringent economic climate. Below the radar perhaps?

Wander00
31st May 2013, 11:14
And long may it continue

xray one
31st May 2013, 15:42
The amount of money that has been spent on Syerston over the years is staggering. This whilst the front line has gone short, nothing is too much trouble for the air Cadets.

Al R
31st May 2013, 16:16
I'm not saying its the B all and end all, but Cranwell cadets regularly use it too.

VX275
31st May 2013, 17:16
Just a minor correction but the unit at Syerston is the RAF Central Gliding School, it and all the Volunteer Gliding Squadrons it oversees have been part of OC EFTS empire for a number of years.
As to the cost, compared to the rest of the military establishment its 'as cheap as chips'.