PDA

View Full Version : JQ Runway Lights Inquiry

Buckshot
29th May 2013, 22:21
The Mercury, MICHELLE PAINE, May 29, 2013

HOBART Airport will leave the runway lights on until after the last flight each day following an inquiry by the national air safety watchdog.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau investigation followed a night-time incident on December 14 last year in which a Jetstar flight took off without runway lights.

Hobart airport had a system under which pilots were required to activate the runway lights themselves, but two different codes are used at different airports.

The crew on the Airbus A320 entered the codes incorrectly, leaving the runway in the dark.

The ATSB report, released today, said Jetstar had advised that the flight crew had been reminded about the two different activation systems.

The airline has also reviewed training programs relating to non-towered aerodromes.

While Hobart airport does have a tower, it is not always manned.

Hobart airport also said it would manually activate lighting when there were unscheduled flights.

So how is this different to the QF incident at YMLT a few years ago in which the skipper was charged, tried (although ultimately not convicted??

PS: Sorry, hadn't heard the case had been thrown out but pleased to hear it.

Servo
29th May 2013, 22:25
On the face of it, it is not different. Seriously there is only two ways (three) of turning on the runway lights, not that hard :{

I have found that aviation has a nasty habit of applying different rules to different people :ugh:

FYSTI
29th May 2013, 23:28
So how is this different to the QF incident at YMLT a few years ago in which the skipper was charged, tried and convicted??
You might want to check your facts. Don't post things that you haven't fact checked, otherwise you may find yourself in front of the judge in a defamation case.

The Australian: Judge calls off pilots' trial (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/judge-calls-off-pilots-trial/story-e6frg6ox-1111116191126)

maggot
30th May 2013, 00:08
Well said fysti: that case brings a bad taste to my mouth even now and shooting off like the op about it is just not on :=
How much doe it cost to run runway lights anyway?

compressor stall
30th May 2013, 00:15
Yes, the judge called off the trial as evidence was lacking and due to the passage of time.

Unless I missed something, why didn't the alleged JQ incident get as far as a trial like the QF alleged incident did?

That the LT accusations got as far as court is a disgrace, but I'm genuinely curious what changed in the intervening years.

Di_Vosh
30th May 2013, 02:18
Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't the headline read something like

DISGRACEFUL AVIATION INFRASTRUCTURE INTO TASMANIA CAUSES YET ANOTHER INCIDENT

PAL lighting into a state capital airport. No radar facilities over an entire state. Towers closed during multiple Jet RPT ops at night.

Icarus2001
30th May 2013, 04:02
This one from March 2008...

http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/318491-jetstar-leaves-launceston-dark.html

Interesting that the thread about Qantas taking off without the lights on has disappeared, or at least does not show up in search.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/judge-calls-off-pilots-trial/story-e6frg6ox-1111116191126

Mstr Caution
30th May 2013, 04:13
"Innattentional Blindness"

I'm putting that term in my back pocket, should I ever get called in for tea & bickies with airline management or an ATSB interview.