PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to Genghis the Engineer? Two

dublinpilot
29th May 2013, 18:34
Great to read CleeIB's post saying that Genghis the Engineer is welcomed back as a valued member.

Is Genghis our moderator once again, or just an ordinary member like the rest of us?

I really hope he's being welcomed back as our moderator.

dp

octavian
29th May 2013, 19:32
How about Atilla the Engineer?

Fly-by-Wife
29th May 2013, 19:54
No, you are thinking of Attila the Admin. :E

FBW

piperboy84
29th May 2013, 20:16
Thank foxtrot he's back, now we can ALL learn something

Genghis the Engineer
30th May 2013, 10:09
Good morning ladies and gentlemen.

I've received a very polite and sincere (and unsolicited, by me at-least) apology from Internet Brands for the way I was treated last year - I think that everybody who cares knows as much as they want to about that.

I am re-instated as an ordinary member of PPrune, which will do for now. I've expressed a willingness to be re-instated as a moderator if I'm useful, but that seems to be subject for the future and I'm happy to sit back and see what happens.

I've not been sworn to secrecy about anything which has happened, but I am rather fed up of the whole business and would rather just talk about flying machines. I also won't be able to send or receive PMs for the moment - nothing clandestine about that, just that I used to have a mods size inbox, and now I only have a "normal members" size inbox so need to find the time to delete about a thousand old PMs before it gets small enough to send and receive again. So if anybody wants to say hello directly - email or Flyer work.

It's good to be back.

G

Pace
30th May 2013, 11:00
Ghengis

I for one and I know many others will be delighted to know you are back in the fold.
It is only right!
Your expert opinions and presence can only richen these forums

Great news my friend

Pace

tmmorris
30th May 2013, 11:16
Welcome back. Good to see some sanity.

Tim

JEM60
30th May 2013, 11:42
Great news!. I echo everyone elses' views.:)

mad_jock
30th May 2013, 11:54
Brillant news glad to have you back mate.

I also look forward to continuing learning from your posts which you correct me for talking mince.

OverRun
30th May 2013, 13:35
Welcome back, and we are all the richer for your return.

Megaton
30th May 2013, 13:37
Excellent news and welcome back.

Armchairflyer
30th May 2013, 13:47
Good to read that, makes PPRuNe a better and more interesting and informative place again.

Fostex
30th May 2013, 14:54
Excellent to have you back, you are one of the genuinely valuable contributors on this forum.

Talkdownman
30th May 2013, 15:42
Genghis,

I dunno what's been going on ('cos I had to take my eye off the ball) but, whatever, I am pleased that you are back, Freedom of Speech and all that.

We all know who the robust contributors are...or, at least, should do...

TDM

Whirlybird
30th May 2013, 16:38
Welcome back! :ok::ok::ok:

HowlingMad Murdock
30th May 2013, 20:56
Hi ya'll Ghengis,

Welcome back!

I look forward to reading your always informative/educational postings.

Yaaahooo! - Well done Admins.:)

Howlin' Mad ready for lift.....

mary meagher
30th May 2013, 21:17
We really missed you! welcome back!

hoodie
30th May 2013, 21:20
I've received a very polite and sincere (and unsolicited, by me at-least) apology from Internet Brands for the way I was treated last year.

Very glad to hear it, and no more than you deserve.

Whilst individually we ordinary PPRuNe members certainly weren't affected to the same degree as GtE, I can't help but think that a more general apology (even if an explanation is not possible) might also be in order.

cockney steve
30th May 2013, 21:47
Well, I'm no Einstein, but piece together Ghengis's banishment to "the other side", the announcement, recently by "Flyblu" and the rest of the jigsaw falls into place.

It all gave me an incentive to find another Aviation Forum to browse, which I otherwise would not have likely found.
Ghengis, glad to see you back here as well...though I'll continue lurking over there as well. :ok: :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
30th May 2013, 21:52
I've got to quite like certain aspects of "the other side", and a couple of other forums seem to have sprung up elsewhere of late as well that I've occasionally stuck my head around the door of.

But thanks everybody for the welcome back - it's been a rather odd period, marked by some unpleasantness, but I was never in any doubt that the majority of fellow Ppruners were on my side, and I'm very glad to be back in the fold.

G

Jetblu
30th May 2013, 22:44
Fantastic news Ghengis. :ok::ok::ok:

I have purposefully tread very carefully to get where we are today with that unmentioned poster, and have desperately tried to separate the issues when they have been raised here.

Behind the scenes here, you were being rooted for. Great to have you back and personal thanks for your contributions. :):ok:

Mike Echo
31st May 2013, 07:33
Best news of the Week.:D
Welcome back
Mike Echo

Dave Gittins
31st May 2013, 11:50
Good to see you back .... :D :ok:

I might start to learn something again while I'm eating my sarnie ....:}

MARKTDH
31st May 2013, 12:23
I'll Second that!!!

24Carrot
31st May 2013, 13:46
Welcome back!

FlyingKiwi_73
1st Jun 2013, 07:45
Good to have you back GtH ! not sure about whats gone on but your absence was obviously keenly felt, always good to have your sane posts along with the usual heavy weights. (you guys know who you are), Even Mad Jock who still take the piss out of my airborne arachnophobia. you all make my flying experiences that much richer.

Thank you.

FK

BroomstickPilot
1st Jun 2013, 08:25
Welcome back Genghis.

I haven't the foggiest idea why you were banned, but I feel sure it cannot have been deserved.

This forum has been showing clears signs of long term decline for some time. I think your return will surely contribute to any possible turnaround for Pprune Private Flying.

Regards,

BroomstickPilot.

tobster911
3rd Jun 2013, 07:16
May I enquire as to why you were banned?

Seems stupid, as you've helped me out on pretty much every thread I've made, or any question I've had. You really are a true knowledge centre when it comes to the world of aviation.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Jun 2013, 07:51
There's plenty out there about this, but in a nutshell, I was a moderator who objected to the activities - particularly here on the private flying thread - of somebody using PPrune for very public investigations into alleged nefarious / criminal / dangerous activities. In the fuss about that, I discussed that person's identity with several people privately.

That (both my objections, and the private discussion about identity) was objected to by a friend of his, a senior mod. He banned me.

It turned out in retrospect, that the person whose activities I objected to was a convicted con-artist, who had taken a lot of people in, and who was using Pprune as his "shop window" to support in particular various lucrative bits of fraud (proven to my satisfaction although not yet in a court of law) and blackmail (allegedly, not proven to my satisfaction or in a court of law as yet). He's now under police investigation. The identity he was using which I had discussed offline was also false.

About 6 months later when the real facts about this character were very well known, Internet Brands (although not the moderator who banned me) apologised to me and re-instated me as a "normal member" of Pprune.

G

maxred
3rd Jun 2013, 09:20
And as the old adage states, you really could'nt make it up.

Really glad it has worked out, of sorts, in the end.

Although, a lot of posts disappeared in the process:hmm:

Put it all down to experience..

Allan Lupton
4th Jun 2013, 12:55
What a mess!
Part of it seems to have involved "revealing" the real name of a pseudonymous member which gives me the cue to continue banging on about the majority of contributors who are not willing to face the accountability of posting in their own names.
Since a lot of what we do in aviation (or in my case did . . ) depends on the professional responsibility of large numbers of other people I expected this forum would be conducted by identifiable people. I cannot say I was impressed to find it is not and that in many cases the thought processes seem to match the "teenager's bedroom" quality of the pseudonyms.

Rant over and I must make it clear that this is not to be taken as an attack on Genghis, as he shows he has a responsible attitude and a straight and level aeronautical mind and I assume he has professional reasons for not using his own name.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Jun 2013, 13:41
Rant over and I must make it clear that this is not to be taken as an attack on Genghis, as he shows he has a responsible attitude and a straight and level aeronautical mind and I assume he has professional reasons for not using his own name

No offence taken. But in general terms I imagine that my reasons for preferring anonymity (or in reality, dual identity, as my real name isn't that secret, but I will nonetheless never state it on any BB where I post as Genghis), are pretty similar to most other people's, which are:-

- I work across several bits of aviation, but have expertise in others and other fields that's less evident. Given that, I'd rather be judged on my words and any bulletin-board reputation, than my reputation and associations elsewhere.

- Plausible deniability for my boss should I occasionally post in working hours.

- Not wanting anything I say to be seen as the formal view of any organisation I may happen to be an officer of.

I don't think I'm at-all unusual in that.

It's interesting to compare however PPrune (or Flyer, or Euro-GA) to non-anonymous BBs. The anonymous boards (or should we say, optionally anonymous boards) are generally much healthier in terms of discussions.

G

peterh337
4th Jun 2013, 14:15
I know of forums where people have to use their full name and all that happens is they make one up e.g. Steve Smith.

Julian
4th Jun 2013, 21:08
Nice to see you back G.

About time!

Pace
4th Jun 2013, 21:22
Peter

Agreed but at least the site administrators should know the identity of the posters?

Those who wish to identify their qualifications and have them verified should have the privalege of carrying a qualification Emblem ie PPL! Instructor! CPL, ATP engineer etc alongside their names.

Those who do not wish to be verified would remain blank and hence suspect!

Con artists and Crooks like Kevin Crellin Alias Golden Eagle Pilot I am afraid will always be able to con the Forum administrators but at least aviation advice will be given by people qualified to do so

Pace

thing
4th Jun 2013, 22:35
Welcome back young Ghengster from wherever you were exiled to (was it like the Phantom Zone?) Your first task is to organise another Prune fly in....:}

roulishollandais
6th Jun 2013, 11:43
Welcome Genghis the Engineer from Banningland!:)

Most of modern air safety problems result of Lying leaders.

Your "Banned" logo and Banning was the price You paid to show that a few of them were throwing their low moral profile threats and blackmails on a very large majority of weaker actors.
It was one of your most important contribution on PPRuNe and other sites. Thank you for your courage.:ok:

Coming back from Banningland is now your most important contribution showing with PPRuNe's Administators that Your combat is sustainable and able to get victorious. :D

Thank you Genghis the Engineer!
Thank you PPRuNe

roulishollandais

dublinpilot
6th Jun 2013, 12:19
Thank you PPRuNe

Personally I'll hold off the "thank you Pprune" until Ghengis is restored as our moderator.

Given all that has happened, and the fact that he apparently got an apology from Pprune, it seem incredible that he's not been restored as our moderator.

cockney steve
6th Jun 2013, 13:50
Perhaps he's had enough of being an unpaid 5h1t shoveller....wouldn't blame him in the least. :)

Genghis the Engineer
6th Jun 2013, 15:18
Thanks again for the votes of confidence.

I've said that I am prepared to be a moderator again, and that I hope I added value previously. Over to the current management of PPrune from that point. There are worse and more thankless jobs than sh1t-shovelling, but few people actively apply for the job!

G

mutt
6th Jun 2013, 16:08
Welcome back GTE........ followed you to F..er, but it wasnt as much fun..

Those who wish to identify their qualifications and have them verified should have the privalege of carrying a qualification Emblem ie PPL! Instructor! CPL, ATP engineer etc alongside their names. Sounds great until our employers take IB to court to reveal our identities :{

Mutt

roulishollandais
6th Jun 2013, 17:10
Personally I'll hold off the "thank you PPRuNe" until Ghengis is restored as our moderator
Genghis the Engineer
I've said that I am prepared to be a moderator again, and that I hope I added value previously. Over to the current management of PPRuNe from that point. There are worse and more thankless jobs than sh1t-shovelling, but few people actively apply for the job!
G
It is not so easy to apologize publicly.
PPRuNe saw where his duty, his image and reputation.
Give some days to PPRuNe ! And let Genghis the Engineer confirm he is still happy here :ok:
roulishollandais