PDA

View Full Version : EASA B1 engineer to FAA A&P

D-Gold
29th May 2013, 16:42
I'm a licenced EASA B1 engineer thinking about checking the opertunity to work in the USA. Anyone know the steps converting to A&P, and if its a struggle with the authoritys? And what rights you will have in line maintenance? Type courses, ratings etc.

And as a side question.. How is the working conditions for an A&P engineer in the US? Pay, working houers and so?

spannersatcx
30th May 2013, 19:05
there is no conversion either way.

You will also need a letter from an N reg carrier stating that YOU need to hold the licence.

There are no type ratings to my knowledge.

Pay is poor most that I have met in the past have 2 or 3 jobs.

Have a search on here has been asked many times before.

wrench1
31st May 2013, 20:09
D...

No conversion...best option is to contact an A&P testing school in the States that accepts overseas applicants...they will be able to see if you qualify and assist with getting your authorization tickets to take the tests. These tickets are only a verification process of minimum experience requirements to take the tests...and I think since you are already a licensed engineer you will be able to qualify...but don't know for sure. You can find advertisements on these testing schools in trade magazines like Trade-A-Plane or AMT...just make sure they handle overseas people.

Once you obtain A&P you basically have full privileges but these are further defined by the operator you work for as to what you can do and sign off. In its basic form an A&P can perform a task if: they have performed it previously; perform it under supervision of another who has done it; or, to the satisfaction of the Administrator (FAA). Most Part 135 and 121 ops have a more detailed qualification system though...which would include specific model schools, etc.

As for pay and conditions...it depends on many things like location, ops, attitude, etc... I assume your on the heavy metal side...which I have limited experience with...but those I know are making a good wage. Several have moved from the airline side to cargo as the pay was better and less "politics" with all the mergers going on. On the smaller scale...there is surge in rotorcraft openings along the GOM but experience plays a big role in pay. Corporate and commuter is a tight market and is very hit and miss on pay.

There are a lot of retirements hitting the industry here...so if you have the skill set and experience you could do well.

W1

Swedish Steve
4th Jun 2013, 17:45
I did it 20 years ago.
Most important is you need a letter from an N-reg aircraft operator. I was doing some work for TWA at the time, and the letter was easy.
Then I went to a school in the USA. I arrived on a Monday knowing nothing, and by the following Tuesday I had an A and P in my hands. Seven days of learning the questions and answers. 80 pc were easy. 10 pc you could work out. 10 pc I had to learn the answers. The school took me to the FAA local office, paperwork done. The examination room was over the road. There was a practical test on the same airfield. When i showed him my European Licence, the test took half an hour.
In the end I never needed it, but it was a holiday!

bcgallacher
6th Jun 2013, 09:49
Swedish Steve - mirrors almost exactly my experience 30 years ago. It is a useful second string to your bow. Got me the best job I ever had!