PDA

View Full Version : If BA has gone down the tubes , Where next ????

Jet A1
29th Apr 2002, 14:17
If the thread about BA recruitment is anything to go by, BA seems not the place to go. In that case where else is there to head off to apart from busting a gut with the low frills crowd !!! Is charter really that bad ????

gimbley
5th May 2002, 21:20
Fair point Jet A1. Like you say BA is no longer the obvious choice it once was (and the fact they're not recruiting just now).

So come on guys (and gals) please pass on your wisdom on to the likes of us looking to make that first move to a jet operator. The low costs seem to be well paid, but do they really work you as hard some would have you believe. Also, charter work, is it really all night flying, constant roster chages & disruption or a serious long-term career option? All views/opinions would be much appreciated-thanks

Fish- Emirates sounds great, but until I build up the hours, the application will have to wait for now.

Count von Altibar
26th May 2002, 20:54
Yes guys but it's no use working for a carrier that delivers 0% pay rises. Let's face it, the package at Emirates is only going one way. Downwards

Hand Solo
26th May 2002, 22:37
Well just like BA then, except you're not paying London mortgages or UK tax, the pay is far superior and you get a hefty pay off at the end of ten years.

Oh yeah, you don't have to wait 14 years for a long haul command either.

gimbley
27th May 2002, 10:22
Count von, fair point 0% pay rises are no good but from where I sit, the package at emirates in terms of remuneration, lifestyle and future prospects seem a hell of a lot better than anyone else is offereing at the moment. As mentioned before the BA package doesn't look set to improve (at least for a while) which coupled with the high cost of living in the UK (particularly the south-east) severely reduces the appeal.

It seems that no matter what airline is mentioned here, they all come in for a slagging. The low-costs get criticised for (apparantly) working their pilots like dogs, while charter is seen (I get the impression anyway) as a second-rate career option due to constant night flying and roster disruption. As a relative new comer to the industry I'm not naive enough to believe there is a utopian airline out there but surely there must be a few outfits which stand out as serious long-term career options. In the UK, how about MyTravel, Monarch, bmi, Britannia & Virgin (apologise for those I've missed out) for starters.

Remember what it was like when you first learnt to fly- brilliant! I know management can get everyone down sometimes, but surely a few years in the industry isn't enough to harden us all to the point where flying becomes just a job and we become slaves to the dollar (or pound)- is it??