PDA

View Full Version : Word. A new example of its absurdity.

Loose rivets
29th May 2013, 08:42
I couldn't number my pages. Just told me it couldn't or wouldn't communicate with the net to get numbers. FFS! All I want is 1 2 3 4 5 etc. It's got ten-million fonts I don't want, why no numbers.

A nice bloke on a word forum answered another poor soul's cry for help. I followed an obscure path from C drive ( Office is installed on D drive - so why do they ask if they're going to put stuff on a drive you don't want it on?)

Anyway, C Users Rivetss App Data Roaming Microsoft Documents and building blocks 1033 14 AND THERE THEY JOLLY WELL ARE. building blocks.dotx files. AND i HAVE TO KILL THEM.

It made some more and now I can number my pages. I'd never have done it without this bloke's help.

Tooooooooooo Silly.

Sunnyjohn
29th May 2013, 19:01
Word - you hate it or you hate it but you can't do without it. Not true I know - there are some good word processors out there, including Open Office and Scrivener. Trouble is, once you've navigated around Word and got used to its annoying peculiarities (why does it keep changing the font?!), it takes ages to get used to another WP. Overall, I actually like Word - and I'm a Mac user!!

P.Pilcher
29th May 2013, 19:35
I graduated to Word from Wordstar in the early 90's. I have acquired several revised versions of it since until Word XP was published where I stuck. It does much more than everything I want. I have written articles, manuals and even tried out it's voice recogntion facilities. Now I am going to have fun getting it to run using Win 7 together with all the other Office programmes it comes with when my new laptop arrives. Wish me luck!

P.P.

Booglebox
6th Jun 2013, 14:40
Loose rivets: like most programs Office needs to put some files on your system drive... daft but there we are.
If Office templates are randomly being corrupted, to me that indicates hard drive problems.

P.Pilcher: Office XP should run fine on Windows 7. Is Office XP compatible with Windows 7? - Microsoft Community (http://tinyurl.com/klx2lq6)

axefurabz
6th Jun 2013, 16:15
Pilcher: My wife upgraded to Win 7 recently and I didn't want to shell out for the new Word, etc. so I downloaded Libre Office for her. She didn't really care for it; printing letters and envelopes seemed to be a bit more work, among other things. So I bought what I think is on OEM copy of Office 2003. Works like a dream - it's what she's used to. Only downside is that I doubt if she'll use power point or access much. :)

Booglebox
7th Jun 2013, 09:01
this might sound a bit ridiculous but I should mention that Office XP is already out-of-support (no security updates), and Office 2003 support finishes in April next year... :8